Tilt Pi Trouble

Reaction score
Need a little help from someone smarter than I am on this, but having trouble with Tilt Pi.
This seems to be a Raspberry Pi issue not a Brewers Friend problem but there seems to be a pretty good community here using Tilt so thought I’d post.
Basically, I have my rPi (Version 2) running the software provided by Tilt website. My pi is connected to my local network. So, for the Bluetooth connection I am using a 10ft USB extension cord running from rPi into my fermentation chamber and a bluetooth dongle at the end.
It logs successfully for a few hours then stops working. If I go to the local UI, there is no Tilt data, but I am able to ask it to reboot. Once it reboots, everything is working fine again? Any ideas?

At first thought, it sounds like it could be the USB/dongle connection but that’s way over my head. I’ll see what the developer has to say, and get back to you ASAP!

Can't think of much. Maybe it needs more power than the Pi is prepared to give over that amount of time. Is it a new low-energy version? That wouldn't be a problem for those.

Does your Raspberry Pi have inbuilt bluetooth? I'm surprised at the range on the inbuilt one. It picks up the fermenter in the garage 20 metres away while I've got it cooling on brew day.

It’s an rPi v2 which does not have an on-board BT. I would doubt any BT receiver would pick it up but maybe an rPi4 could handle it? I am fermenting in a stainless conical and upright freezer and my iPhoneX will not connect with the door closed.

I was hoping that a bluetooth dongle via USB extension cord would be cheaper alternative to the wifi extender product they sell. $12 extension, $13 BT dongle.

At lunch, I unplugged and plugged back in and so far 3+ hrs in it is working and logging every 15 minutes as specified.

I will reply back if I solve the issue. But if anyone else has seen this before let me know.

Thanks, Mark. Thanks, Yooper.

More trouble here too... Using Tilt with Rasberry PI, I first got it to work with Google Sheets and it works fairly well , to Google
but no matter what I try I cant seem to get it to go to my brew sessions. I used the supplied url in the personal data area and I have even gotten the Dials and chart and TWO updates to my session but I cannot get it to use my session. no matter what i do it ends up on Google sheets. And that is in Noah sombodyorothers namd and I can't delete it.

More trouble here too... Using Tilt with Rasberry PI, I first got it to work with Google Sheets and it works fairly well , to Google
but no matter what I try I cant seem to get it to go to my brew sessions. I used the supplied url in the personal data area and I have even gotten the Dials and chart and TWO updates to my session but I cannot get it to use my session. no matter what i do it ends up on Google sheets. And that is in Noah sombodyorothers namd and I can't delete it.

One thing to try is to restart the system. Then, under the logging tab, select your tilt color but do not enter the gmail address. Add the cloud logging URL from BF to the second column. Turn of tilt pi logging on the third.
I seemed to have this problem at first. I think tilt pi will send data to one or the other but not all of the google sheet, cloud URL, tilt pi log.

Update to my BT problem is that I did a hard reboot (unplug rPi, plugged back in) yesterday at lunch and have been going strong ever since. ~18+ hours. Another thing to try for anyone having logging issues.
(Also, I changed the Wifi country code to US but not sure this was a factor or not as I never had a wifi connection issue).

One thing to try is to restart the system. Then, under the logging tab, select your tilt color but do not enter the gmail address. Add the cloud logging URL from BF to the second column. Turn of tilt pi logging on the third.
I seemed to have this problem at first. I think tilt pi will send data to one or the other but not all of the google sheet, cloud URL, tilt pi log.
Looks like I need to reload the SD card and start over. The instructions here say not to insert your email address as it causes trouble.
That was the only way to get it to work at all the first time I tried it. I'll have to give it another shot.

Looks like I need to reload the SD card and start over. The instructions here say not to insert your email address as it causes trouble.
That was the only way to get it to work at all the first time I tried it. I'll have to give it another shot.

You only want to use one address on the Tilt Pi app. It's a bit tricky to work out if you're posting to the default google sheets address or another one. I think using a toggle there is easy to misread

If you use brewersfriend you can use https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/profile/device_settings to set up forwarders. You just paste in the address of other loggers you want to use and the site here will send your data on to them.

I seem to be going backwards on this one. I reformatted my Rasberry Pi sd card and reloaded the tilt program, from the same file I used last time. now it asks for a login and password. How the heck did I get past this last time???
rasberrystart.jpg

My mistake , I did not use the same file. I just tried the other file
tiltpi2-stretch-hdmi.img.gz and things look better...

Well my Spotted Cow went into the fermenter this morning. The Tilt seems to be sending to Brewers Friend so far.
I got called out to work last night just as the cooling coil went in so it only cooled while I was in the shower. Down to about 90° I put the cover on it and went to work. Moved to the fermenter and tossed some yeast in this AM..
Now the question of the day, the Rasberry Pi seems to be working and recording properly. is there any way to span the SG scale or will it do it by it self in time. not looking like the ones I have seen here. Hope it cools more in the fridge at 55° before the yeast kicks in.

upload_2019-11-21_8-13-43.png

The gravity scale would change as the values changed, but I don't think that's the problem here. A gravity of 0.051 doesn't make sense as standard gravity or plato. Do you have a strange calibration setting for that tilt? Is it floating freely so that it can measure the tilt of the device?

I caught that just before I read you comment. Seems the calibration was missing a number. I used the recalibrate option and just matched the .053 but added the "1". it read properly on my phone but was missing the "one" in the raspberry PI. I deleted the prior entries as the SG hasn't started to drop yet. 10 hours in and bubbling already.

Back