The Narrows - Winter Ale

That’s like a lb of crystal. No problem; Deschutes Jubleale is more like 1.5 lbs of crystal on 5 gal. It’s a winter ale... I’m not a big fan of Vienna and would replace with 2 row. Not sure what to think about the molasses. Respectfully GW. :)
You just had to mention one fo my favorite beers didnt ya GW!
20181203_190823_resized_1.jpg
Had to pour one!

My take on it is if they sell it as a kit it must be a tried and true recipe.
I submit that the operative word there is "sell". :D Inexperienced brewers tend to be attracted to recipes with exotic ingredients and the brew store gets to sell a whole bag of cocoa nibs or a whole vial of maple extract when the recipe calls for a small amount. I don't think it would be a crapper beer by any means if brewed per recipe, but based on the style and the desired outcome, it's reasonable to do some tweaking based on experienced input. :)

Could I also get some feedback on my water profile?
Target, London (porter, dark ale)
100 / 5 / 35 / 60 / 50
With my water agents
86 / 5 / 27 / 108 / 135
pH 5.38
Should work. Should give the hops a leg to stand on without wiping out complexity.

3rd dropping chocolate, balanced ish is a safe profile but if you want to drive malt complexity more obviously flavour the chloride but when I first peroused the recipe thought balanced is a safe bet.

I actually go balanced on a lot of my first through recipes then "if" it need adjusting use that as a good gauge.

Oh darn, just noticed MO, not 2row. Nice.

Let us know how it turns out:)

Brew day went well with this last Friday the 7th (my first non BIAB batch).
The krausen was still there when I had a peek at it Friday, but has mostly dropped now, so fermentation seems to be progressing well.
A) Is this one that I should bottle and forget about for a month or two, or three?
B) Should I leave it for an extended period in the fermenter?
C) Should I keg it next weekend (after confirmig FG of course), and get into it?
I would prefer to keg it next weekend, and hopefully enjoy it, and share it with freinds and family over the holidays.

The reason I ask is that I am finding that the GLBC Christmas Ale Clone I brewed recently tastes... kind of young, I racked it to a keg a week ago.

TIA
Craigerrr

I've ended up with 6, 9.5 and 20 litre kegs. That way I can choose to bottle some of the batch if I want to see how it ages. And I'm also trying to do more split batches with one part getting different beasties to the other part. So some goes into glass and some into keg. Bit more pricey (the smaller kegs are nearly always more expensive than the 20 litre) but I like the flexibility.

Update
So I kegged this batch, and have had lots of good feedback on this one. The keg is about half empty (or halfhalf if you are an upside kind of person). Thoroughly pleased with this, and glad that I opted not to add the vanilla.

Thanks to everyone for the input and advice!

Craigerrr

Back