The grain I want to use is not listed - help!

LarryBrewer

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There are so many custom grains out there, we can't add them all to the list. In fact we try to keep the list as uncluttered as possible.

The system has two options for taking care of the scenario where a grain is not in the list.

A) Click 'add custom' in the fermentables section and fill in the name, lovibond and ppg for the ingredient.

B) if you are planning on working with this grain in the future, a more permanent option is to go under Inventory, and add this grain as a 'Custom Fermentable'. It will then appear at the top of the drop down on the recipe editor.

Down the road, we are planning to update the grain section so there is the default list, plus a community list that anybody can contribute to.

Thanks for posting this. I have a couple that i used last night that there not in the tool and my efficiency was low. I used American Wheat and Rye as placeholders but they were both toasted. My efficiency has been better as of recent but last night it seemed very low for what i've been improving upon. Not intending to hi-jack this thread but I'm guessing the toasted varieties have slightly lower yield on potential sugars which is throwing *some* of my estimated efficiency off.

If there is a way to create a grain profile based on the manufacturer, it would be cool to somehow submit it through the console to you so you could review for accuracy and potentially add to the interface without having to perform every upgrade yourself. Maybe it would be easier to add this function for the users to collaboratively upgrade the options. Obviously someone's home roasts/toasts/maltings would need to stay in their respective profiles, however if there is a commercially available variety/type - we should be able to somehow get that info from the homebrewstore/manufacturer and have it be somewhat uniform. Of course that could be the beer talking. Yes, i've been drinking. Again.

Good points.

We are going to allow 'community search' option in the near future so you can see what other people entered for a given brand or toast of malt.

In terms of efficiency, ppg does impact it but if the ppg is really 37 and the recipe had 38 that is not a very big difference. Efficiency comes down to many things - quality of crush, temperature calibration, mash pH, and even things like hops absorption can impact 'brew house efficiency'. This FAQ has some extra info specific to the recipe editor: http://www.brewersfriend.com/faq/#recipes18

I do recognize my efficiency has other factors, but wasn't sure how much the toast versus standard malting may effect potential starch/sugar yields. Understanding that to achieve a flavor profile you make slight sacrifices in other areas, it seemed possible to me but to what degree I couldn't define. Appreciate the link. Dig the app, look forward to new features.

I would like to know who are the manufactures in the grain section? American grain data are from Briess, German grain are from Weyermann and so on... Tks. Ed

Just testing the site out and I like it so far, but this is a big one for me. I like to have the specific grain information I used for my recipes and I don't want to have to hand enter every single grain I use. It's nice to have the simple list for people that don't care much, but I hope it's a priority to get the user database list implemented soon. I also hope there is some form of quality control planned so the list doesn't end up with a bunch of the same grains listed multiple times because someone has entered the same grain with slightly different information.

Yes, this is definitely on our roadmap, but is certainly going to take some development to implement. The idea I have for this is to consolidate ingredients with similar names, even if they have different statistics (PPG, etc.). The most commonly used forms will then be what's populated by default when someone chooses the ingredient. Alternatively, we could support preferring the form that an individual brewer has entered previously. Anyhow, I'll be building in this functionality as soon as I can.

Thanks!

I would predict that the list will balloon quickly. One solution would be for people to have access to the main list plus everything they have entered. That would require each custom entry to be stored by user. Other people's entries should not appear because we would have to validate every single one. Imagine all the possible names for chocolate malt. It would get too difficult to select the right one. The custom lists would provide a universe of potential validated entries that could be moved to the main list.

(instead of creating a new topic, let me try here first)

I just created an account and start adding my recipes. I noticed I can't find any ordinairy table sugar in the fermentables list. Is this correct, or am I overlooking due to translation (I'm from the Netherlands) ?

I sure hope the "community list" option is still in the works. I like to be more specific about the brands of grain I use but I don't want to have to spend the time to track down all the information every time I make a new recipe.

It's on the list.

We have been working on the servers the last couple of weeks.

We will get back to new feature design and implementation ASAP.

Good to hear. I really like what Brewer's Fried offers compared to some other options and I'm looking forward to seeing it improve.

Cheers!

I was just thinking of an idea for this when the time comes. When building a new recipe you can keep the initial grain selection simple, but have the user database a selectable field under the initial grain selection after it's pulled into the editor. From there one can choose to pull in more detailed information from the user database about the specific grain. This could also help when users enter new data. When new data is entered a grain type/region should be selected from the basic list then they would effectively be categorized to only show up under those grain selections.

Of course I would still keep the purely custom option as well since there will be always be fermentables and regional Malsters that don't make the list. Like Franco Belges is in France and I don't currently see France as a regional option in the basic list.

truckmann said:
I was just thinking of an idea for this when the time comes. When building a new recipe you can keep the initial grain selection simple, but have the user database a selectable field under the initial grain selection after it's pulled into the editor. From there one can choose to pull in more detailed information from the user database about the specific grain. This could also help when users enter new data. When new data is entered a grain type/region should be selected from the basic list then they would effectively be categorized to only show up under those grain selections.

Of course I would still keep the purely custom option as well since there will be always be fermentables and regional Malsters that don't make the list. Like Franco Belges is in France and I don't currently see France as a regional option in the basic list.

Thanks for the idea truckmann! We'll definitely keep that in mind as we move forward with development and updates to BF.

Back