Temperature of boil

Agreed. If you're doing extract, the only "rest" involved is the grain you steep. Let us know what your planned process is, and maybe we can help. BTW, the only reason to do a ferrulic acid rest is if you're doing an all-grain Hefeweizen, and it's not really necessary then.

This is the beginners forum, so you're in the right place!
In the beginning, there can be a lot of confusing information and even the people responding may further add confusion.
That being said, people are here and willing to help.
I'd suggest reading this;
http://howtobrew.com/book/section-1
This is from John Palmer's How to Brew book and is something you should have.
Feel free to ask questions and good luck.
Brian

Reactions: J A
Bierman, I really, really, really mean no offense but it's painfully obvious that you're very confused about the whole process. I suppose you're surfing the internet and getting all sorts of ideas about how beer is made but this shows that you really haven't figured out the most basic processes involved.
I don't know where you got the notion that you were going to do a ferulic rest, or any rest for that matter. There's nothing in your recipe to rest at any temperature. You're not mashing...you're not even steeping specialty malt. You're doing a straight-forward extract-only beer. You get a bunch of water, stir in the extract, boil it for a while and throw in some hops and boil it for a little longer. That's it.
As for the recipe, it'll work but it won't give you the hefeweizen you're expecting. You've got a full-on White IPA going on here. As I mentioned in another post, Centennial is a hop that's very different from what's associated with the sort of beer flavor that you're targeting. And 64 IBUs is off-the-charts high for a Weissbier. Something like 15 IBUs is on the high end.
I'm sure you'll figure it out but I really hope that you'll do yourself a favor and nail down some basics before you venture too far.
Best of luck. ;)
I didnt take any offense. Yes, I'm very new to this. First brew day is today. Now I'm thinking I'm going to hold off until tomorrow. Why would you not do any rest with extract brewing? The wheat would need a protein rest to help break down the protein. At least that's what I thought.
I'm guessing you're saying that tests are for all grain brewing?

all extract is already mashed, follow the extract instructions on this site, click the brew button on your recipe, look at the brew session page, brews steps tab, read that page

I didnt take any offense. Yes, I'm very new to this. First brew day is today. Now I'm thinking I'm going to hold off until tomorrow. Why would you not do any rest with extract brewing? The wheat would need a protein rest to help break down the protein. At least that's what I thought.
And without malt, you won't do anything to the wheat anyway. Just steep it in 160 degree water for a half-hour.

Why would you not do any rest with extract brewing? The wheat would need a protein rest to help break down the protein. At least that's what I thought.
Like Ozark says, all the work has been done with extract, yes all the rests are done with mashing all-grain. Extract is 100% ready to reconstitute and boil... just like a can of condensed soup. :)

Here's how you can think of the (extremely simplified) overview...
1. Raw grain is sprouted to create enzymes and dried to create malted barley...usually called base malt
2. That malt may be treated further by the maltster to create specialty malts that are toasted or allowed to convert to create sugars
3 Quantities of base malt and specialty malts are milled and mashed - held in water at a certain temperature to release the enzymes and turn the starches into sugar
4 More water is added to rinse the sugars from the malt and all that mash water is collected as sweet wort
5 That wort is concentrated by boiling...
...If we start with grain and mash it, we boil it down for an hour or so with some hops and it's ready to make (all-grain) beer
or...
...it can be concentrated so much that it makes malt extract syrup or can be dried into dry malt extract for us to buy and we skip the mashing process. In that case, we add some water back in to get the proper sweetness, boil it just as long as it takes to infuse some hop flavor and bitterness and then it's ready to make (extract) beer.

When you get a little further along with extract brewing and want to add steeped grains to increase body and head retention, that starts to be similar to mashing but that, is simplified. Even then, you don't worry about rests at different temperatures because it involves specialty malts that are designed to be used without fully mashing.

Hope that's helpful.

And without malt, you won't do anything to the wheat anyway. Just steep it in 160 degree water for a half-hour.
Steep? I was going to step hops but the DME is just pi
Like Ozark says, all the work has been done with extract, yes all the rests are done with mashing all-grain. Extract is 100% ready to reconstitute and boil... just like a can of condensed soup. :)

Here's how you can think of the (extremely simplified) overview...
1. Raw grain is sprouted to create enzymes and dried to create malted barley...usually called base malt
2. That malt may be treated further by the maltster to create specialty malts that are toasted or allowed to convert to create sugars
3 Quantities of base malt and specialty malts are milled and mashed - held in water at a certain temperature to release the enzymes and turn the starches into sugar
4 More water is added to rinse the sugars from the malt and all that mash water is collected as sweet wort
5 That wort is concentrated by boiling...
...If we start with grain and mash it, we boil it down for an hour or so with some hops and it's ready to make (all-grain) beer
or...
...it can be concentrated so much that it makes malt extract syrup or can be dried into dry malt extract for us to buy and we skip the mashing process. In that case, we add some water back in to get the proper sweetness, boil it just as long as it takes to infuse some hop flavor and bitterness and then it's ready to make (extract) beer.

When you get a little further along with extract brewing and want to add steeped grains to increase body and head retention, that starts to be similar to mashing but that, is simplified. Even then, you don't worry about rests at different temperatures because it involves specialty malts that are designed to be used without fully mashing.

Hope that's helpful.

I understand... well I went forward with the brew. It was probably a good idea to have done an extract brew for my first time. Next time I'm going to try to get what I need for all grain brewing. It seems like it would be more fun, more involved, and in return... more rewarding when you get it right. Over all, it went well. Cooling proved to be a challenge but I got it done in about 30 minutes. Lots of notes were taken, meaning I learned a lot about the process. I can tell this beer is t going to turn out ANYTHING like I wanted. But, as long as it doesn't turn out tasting like it was contaminated, I'll consider it a success. Thank you for taking the time to simplify the differences. I thought something totally different about extract brewing. But I still had fun and I'm excited to see how this turns out. Thanks again

Next time I'm going to try to get what I need for all grain brewing.
Mostly, the equipment needs are substantially different. Brew-in-a-bag method for all-grain requires less equipment but one way or another you'll need a way to hold mash temperature and successfully sparge (rinse) the grain and collect a lot more liquid. Generally speaking, a pot that's 1 1/2 or 2 times the size of your desired batch size is required for boiling the collected wort.
Good luck. ;)

invest in some campden and whirlfloc tablets and it will help, the campden is to remove chlorine and whirlfloc is to clear the beer

Back