Temperature after primary fermentation

InspectorJon

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am kind of new to this. I have brewed 10 beers so far and been quite happy with the results. I don't have a dedicated temperature control system. I have been using a water bath this summer and putting ice packs in as necessary to keep the temperature in the mid to upper 60's F for fermentation. My question is how critical is temperature control once fermentation is done (typically after 2-4 days or less)? I use US-05 yeast and brew IPA, APA and porters. I like to leave the beer in the primary for at least ten days before bottling. Sometimes I dry hop. I have learned a lot fromthis forum and appreciate all the time folks have put into answering questions like this.

Two schools of thought on this: Short term, not very. Long term, storage temperature is supposed to affect shelf life, the higher the temperature, the shorter the shelf life. I don't store at any particular temperature - the basement is whatever temperature it is. My beers generally last about 6 months in the bottle, with some deterioration in flavor at the end of that time.

I believe you're asking about the time between the completion of fermentation and packaging. That can be an important time in the life of a beer because even though the yeast has converted the sugars to alcohol and the beer may be essentially at final gravity, there's still a lot going on with further metabolism and "cleaning up" esters and compounds that may cause off flavors.
If you're fermenting in the mid-high 60's it would be nice to hold pretty near that temperature for around 5 days. After that, if it drifts up a little, it shouldn't have any ill effects. My room temp will be 80 during the day while waiting for racking/packaging but the water bath without ice will keep the temp in the wort a little below that.
The big problem with high temps is that a lot of bacteria and wild yeasts really love that temp range and any small infection can really take hold.

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking about the time that the beer is in the primary fermenter after it has reached final gravity or possibly in a secondary prior to bottling. That is typically around 7 to 10 days for me. My indoor temperature can get in the low 80s during the day. I typically don't run the AC unless someone is home. The water bath should mitigate that but I was wondering about a scenario where maybe a go away for a few days and the water temperature rises to mid 80s. It is hot where I live, California Foothills, and we don't have basements. I feel if the beer is still in the primary that should be a pretty sterile environment regarding bacteria or wild yeast.

As JA said, around the fermentation temperature is probably the best but if you let it warm, the yeast will dry out the beer a bit more,. They could maybe throw some off flavors. A water bath will stabilize temperature - if anything in my experience temperature swings are more damaging than the absolute temperature - keep the variance low. And you should be fine.

Reactions: J A
Mid-80s for any length of time could be problematic. If you've kept everything clean and have the beer in a glass carboy with good airlocks and haven't opened it up for any reason, you could probably count on things staying good, though. Some beers do very well having a period of late fermentation at high temps...Belgians, Saisons, etc. Keep everything clean and as Nosy mentions, fairly steady and you'll be fine. ;)

Back