steam condenser

Could you use mains water pressure?
That's usually pretty high...
you might be a genius. I never thought of that. I actually added a hose bib in the basement for water.

Not everyone has the same setup but on mine my power is set to 75% after reaching 200f or steam showing up, the temp could be lower if needed
I have 4500 watts to reach the boil, with this top on it, 1500 watts will maintain it. I was really surprised.

you might be a genius. I never thought of that. I actually added a hose bib in the basement for water.
Yeah I remember when mucking around with liquid disconnects and using mains water 30psi I've herd is around the number.
You can use this to pressure test them bubble fermentors they are rated at 30psi water bursting is better than gas:p!

Aka Gashslug info there...

You know if you take your poppet out the liquid disconnect it will connect onto a standard Australian garden connector which is cool!

Yeah I remember when mucking around with liquid disconnects and using mains water 30psi I've herd is around the number.
You can use this to pressure test them bubble fermentors they are rated at 30psi water bursting is better than gas:p!

Aka Gashslug info there...

You know if you take your poppet out the liquid disconnect it will connect onto a standard Australian garden connector which is cool!
I have some nozzles that may work for this better than the condenser. Gonna have to try this next weekend

What do you use to mist the cooling water with? What kind of pump? Cause the problem I had with the misting nozzles is they require 50+psi to work. A $15 pump can't do that unless it is a diaphagm pump and those are louder than shit
I haven't used mine yet, was planning to use city water pressure

I understand using a condenser reduces the boil off rate. Can anyone say by how much? And does a reduced rate affect the brewing at all, aside from losing less water?

I usually sparge about 1.75 gallons in a 5 gallon batch, helping account for boil off and some grain losses. If my boil off rate went from 1 gallon an hour to 1/2 gallon an hour, and I sparged 1.25 gallons instead, it would all cone out even, right?

Any concerns with diacetyl?

Thanks.

I understand using a condenser reduces the boil off rate. Can anyone say by how much? And does a reduced rate affect the brewing at all, aside from losing less water?
In my 20 gal kettle (80 liters) i get about 1/2 gallon / hour boil off. I brew 10 gallon batches.

I think you're asking about DMS, and no, I nor my highly skilled test group (aka neighbors) don't notice anything. Other discerning palates may be able to detect something....

I usually sparge about 1.75 gallons in a 5 gallon batch, helping account for boil off and some grain losses. If my boil off rate went from 1 gallon an hour to 1/2 gallon an hour, and I sparged 1.25 gallons instead, it would all cone out even, right?

Thanks.
Mine went from about 1.5 gallons an hour to about 3\4 gph maybe less plus i can sustain a boil on 1500watts instead of 4500w.

I believe DMS is what you meant. From everything I have read, plus my first run. Not an issue

I hear DMS can be an issue if the condensate drips back into the kettle.
This would come down to the design of your hood.
Take an overhead exaughst fan for instance dripping would occur.

I know on a winters night I get drips forming on the roof above my kettle...

I have my equip set to a 2.7qph boiloff or .675g, which seems pretty accurate. lid on/steam condenser. It seems pretty accurate. 15g kettle, 5500w element running at 28% on 5.5g batch.

so connecting it to the hose bib works really well. one word of caution, DONT use thin-wall silicon tubing. apparently that is rated for 12 PSI, lol

Changed it over from the condenser coil to a misting nozzle, plus a longer pipe. Nearly zero steam escapes now and the water is only mildly warm
20221209_161645.jpg

20221209_162014.jpg

@Minibari in a 1 hour boil, with the spray starting at 200° and then continuing until 150° on the cool down, how much water are you going through?
Are you using the water for cleaning or just dumping it?

@Minibari in a 1 hour boil, with the spray starting at 200° and then continuing until 150° on the cool down, how much water are you going through?
Are you using the water for cleaning or just dumping it?
About 5 gallons in a 1 hour boil. Ya, i just dump it in the boil pot after i am done to rinse it out. I do have to heat it a bit more for cleaning

Back