steam condenser

That is my understanding as well.

I initially was going to do the speay nozzle idea. But getting a fine mist on a small pump wasn't working. So I came up with the coil. It seems to work
Ah ok, i didn't pay enough attention to the pics. you have a copper coil in there instead of a spray nozzle. well if your coolant water discharge smells off then you are probably removing dms.

makes sense. cant blow the steam through the pipes if no air can get in to replace it.
The steam creates its own pressure. The kettle pressurizes and pushes the steam (gaseous water) out.

BUT Having a safety relief valve in case the boil volume exceeds the capacity of the condenser is probably a good idea. No boiler explosions!

The steam creates its own pressure. The kettle pressurizes and pushes the steam (gaseous water) out.

BUT Having a safety relief valve in case the boil volume exceeds the capacity of the condenser is probably a good idea. No boiler explosions!

that's where dms could happen, the steam condenser creates its own vacuum, nothing to do with pressure, it draws the steam and mixes it with the water

My understanding is the cold air falling through the pipe causes a slight draw, thus pulling the steam through where it is condensed.

but still seeing steam but keep it up, you'll get it
Ya. The top doesn't fit right. It was the hood i used previously. Kinda proved to myself it works. So might have to get a better top.

The condensate coming out does have a sulfer smell.

the water coming out should be hot not cold also and the out hose or tube shouldn't be submerged in water but I keep mine fitted down a sink drain and have a rag over it to prevent steam from floating up

the water coming out should be hot not cold also and the out hose or tube shouldn't be submerged in water but I keep mine fitted down a sink drain and have a rag over it to prevent steam from floating up
oh ya, the water coming off the condenser coil is really hot., the water used to keep the coil cool and the condensate both just fall into a bucket.

So got a chance to use this on a real batch today. Compared to a hood, this is hands down better. Way less boil off and it only took 1500 watts to keep the boil going once achieved vs 3000 watts
About 5 gallons of cooling water an hour

So got a chance to use this on a real batch today. Compared to a hood, this is hands down better. Way less boil off and it only took 1500 watts to keep the boil going once achieved vs 3000 watts
About 5 gallons of cooling water an hour

yes and you will need to alter your recipes to account for boil off and hop schedules

yes and you will need to alter your recipes to account for boil off and hop schedules

I topped the boil kettle about 1/2 gal less than I would normally. since this is the first one, will have to see if that is right or not.

what needs to be changed for the hops?

I topped the boil kettle about 1/2 gal less than I would normally. since this is the first one, will have to see if that is right or not.

what needs to be changed for the hops?
your bittering hop will bitter less so in the software it should account for the ibu levels

ok, so if I read that correctly, I need to add more bittering hops?

just pay attention to the ibu level of recipes before and after the change they should match what your used to so add accordingly to reach that same level

I went the "commercially available product" route. Haven't put this into action yet, hoping to try an extract batch soon. Will have to do a test boil to determine boil off rate, to see how much condensate I will have to deal with, and to map out my brewing process in my new brewing room.
20220623_114706.jpg

What do you use to mist the cooling water with? What kind of pump? Cause the problem I had with the misting nozzles is they require 50+psi to work. A $15 pump can't do that unless it is a diaphagm pump and those are louder than shit

just a tip if you haven't figured this out but the hops stick to the top or upper side's, its best to invest in some foam reducer to keep the bittering hops submerged, also reduce your power down quite a bit, it helps

What do you use to mist the cooling water with? What kind of pump? Cause the problem I had with the misting nozzles is they require 50+psi to work. A $15 pump can't do that unless it is a diaphagm pump and those are louder than shit
Could you use mains water pressure?
That's usually pretty high...

just a tip if you haven't figured this out but the hops stick to the top or upper side's, its best to invest in some foam reducer to keep the bittering hops submerged, also reduce your power down quite a bit, it helps
Not everyone has the same setup but on mine my power is set to 75% after reaching 200f or steam showing up, the temp could be lower if needed

Back