SS Fermentor Choices

I have a quarter barrel Sanke keg and a tri-clover set up with blow-off and racking cane. It's pretty awesome.
View attachment 5966
Where did you get a keg with a tri-clamp setup? That looks very promising, you could ferment 5 gallons easily. Nice!

Where did you get a keg with a tri-clamp setup? That looks very promising, you could ferment 5 gallons easily. Nice!
NorCal ... https://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Sanke-Keg-Tee-Fermenter-Kit.html
It'll fit any Sanke keg, including a half barrel so I can do starter batches and keep the yeast super clean or use a half barrel and get a big batch. Pressure transfer is a snap and is efficient because it holds pressure extremely well. The racking cane is adjustable so you can get it flowing and nudge it down until it just starts to show yeast/trub in the flow. If you can get the racking cane stopped off tight enough, you can close it off for spunding and carb in the vessel.

20190508_181738.jpg

Guess who is brewing a 10 gal cream ale this wknd!

NorCal ... https://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Sanke-Keg-Tee-Fermenter-Kit.html
It'll fit any Sanke keg, including a half barrel so I can do starter batches and keep the yeast super clean or use a half barrel and get a big batch. Pressure transfer is a snap and is efficient because it holds pressure extremely well. The racking cane is adjustable so you can get it flowing and nudge it down until it just starts to show yeast/trub in the flow. If you can get the racking cane stopped off tight enough, you can close it off for spunding and carb in the vessel.
I have almost the same thing (Earlier model). I use it with my 1/2bbl Sanke to do ~15 gal of cider every year. I just keep it in there, and I can just rack off the yeast and let it age. It's a roughly 2" tri clover.

I also got some 1.5" to 2" tri clover, and some airlocks and bungs and used them in 7.75Gallon 1/4bbl kegs. They work pretty well.

Reactions: J A
I do the long term secondary ferment for my sours in cornies. Works well and as the primary sacch ferment has already happened I can fill them pretty much to the top. I have fitted a blow off arrangement, but it was so inactive I just burp them every few weeks now.

Don't know why I haven't moved the rest of my fermentation to them. It probably would work perfectly as I'm generally aiming at a 10-15 litre (2.5 - 3 gallon) batch. And I could fit multiple fermenters in my fermentation chamber.

If I was doing primary I'd probably get the floating dip tubes and just put sanitised foil over the blowoff and set it open for most of the batch rather than doing something smart with blow off tubes or airlocks attached to disconnects. Mainly as that would make the spunding based carbonation such an easy win. Just close the blow off when I've got about 10 or so points left and attach a spunding valve.

Think that's convinced me where I'm going when it's time to replace my next Speidel plastic.

Edit: will have to test how well a tilt sends data when it's inside one. That'll make things like temp and when to add the spunding value much easier to manage.
You know I've been seeing pin locks selling at Kegland for $30 now can't get a cheaper stainless preassure fermentor for that.

You know I've been seeing pin locks selling at Kegland for $30 now can't get a cheaper stainless preassure fermentor for that.

Been thinking of getting some of those and the reconditioning kits they sell and spending a day or so rejuvenating them. Waiting for a weekend when the wife's away for work. Normally happens every couple of months, but she hasn't been away for ages.

before
IMAG0202.jpg
20190526_130556.jpg

And now waiting for wort to be finished

Nice. I just got my blow off tubes rigged up better for my Brewbuckets. Time to do a Pale Ale with 2 different Kveik strains and see what turns out.

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-26_13-26-41.png
    upload_2019-5-26_13-26-41.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 171

Back