Spirit of Êire Chocolate Stout

I've never done a chocolate beer but found your recipe interesting so thought I'd provide my observations/2 cents worth.

Cascade is an interesting choice. I haven't researched a lot of dry stout recipes to know what to expect here, but I suppose since it's the bittering hop maybe it's not such a big decision anyway. (Initially, I was thinking that the grapefruit aroma might clash with your cocoa nibs, but I'm rethinking that now). I think you are right to avoid an aroma hop. Let the aroma of the cocoa come thru.

I'm not familiar with cocoa nibs. Are they essentially baker's chocolate? If so, I've read from Charlie P or others that there is some oil that can form when boiled and will separate out. Among other challenges, this can affect head retention negatively. Others use cocoa powder because of the oil in baker's chocolate. You might want to research that form of cocoa.

Other than that, I think it looks good. Best of luck!

Cocoa nibs are not bakers chocolate. They are crushed cocoa beans. They are used by most any commercial chocolate beer. Either in nib form or the liquefied version called Choloca. But the liquid is more expensive and harder to find at the store so homebrewers stick to the nibs. I'd suggest adding the nibs to the fermenter, not the boil. Boiling works but gives a more bitter chocolate taste. Also a bit of lactose can help sweeten the beer and make it more chocolate forward.

As noted, Cascade is an odd choice. UK hops like Goldings or Fuggles is more appropriate for style. Regarding the fermentables, you have an extract bill with a BIAB recipe. Assuming that what you're doing is steeping, you'll want to re-formulate using the extract recipe "template". The calculator will be more accurate.
That's a lot of roast for a small batch. You might consider some other steeping grain in the mix. Crystal 60 is always a good choice. Roast won't necessarily add body to an extract beer. Crystal malt or Carapils will help with that.

You needn't guess at it...there are a number of good recipes in the data base. The ones that have been brewed a number of times and have high ratings are a good place to start.
Example: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/160450/huck-chocolate-stout

I hate to say it but that recipe will not be pleasant, too much roasted barley, if your grind it up and add it at the last minute it might work but that beer is too much

Reactions: J A

Back