Snapped back to reality...

Rice gelatinizes at too high a temperature to use directly in the mash. Either use converted (parboiled) rice, rice flakes or cook it, essentially what a cereal mash does. Won't convert otherwise.
He's talking about rehydrating Minute Rice rather than cooking plain rice.

I don't know how you can avoid drinking adjunct lagers unless you stick to German imports. :D :D Any American lager and pretty much any Mexican import will be made with rice or corn as are virtually all import International Lagers - Saporo, Ichiban, Stella, Moretti, Tsing-Tao, Molson, etc, etc. Red Stripe is interesting (though probably not totally unique) in that their adjunct is cassava starch. :)
I don’t drink lager unless I make it or it’s Hofbrau so....Or Oktoberfest season

Yep. Parboiled. I don't know that there's an advantage to it but there's no disadvantage, either.
It speeds up conversion by pre-rehydration of the Minute Rice or at least that's the idea.

Here's an interesting podcast on the history of American Adjunct beer. It all started in Germany. German brewers were using adjuncts everywhere in Germany except in Bavaria. Bavaria had 1516 Purity Law or Reinheitsgebot. Not all brewers in Germany were happy about the law and it's often said that Germany makes the best beer in the world despite Reinheitsgebot, not because of it. It wasn't until 1906 that Reinheitsgebot was applied to all of Germany.

https://www.masterbrewerspodcast.com/174
And the main reason the Prussians let the Bavarians have their way with implementing that law, was of course, taxes to fund the military. Was that the podcast where it seemed a chance that the US would adopt the same law until the director of the VLB (Berlin Brewing Institute) came over and bad mouthed the Bavarian brewers? I think it was also talked about as a possible law in the UK in the early 20th century as well.

Last edited:
And the main reason the Prussians let the Bavarians have their way with implementing that law, was of course, taxes to fund the military. Was that the podcast where it seemed a chance that the US would adopt the same law until the director of the VLB (Berlin Brewing Institute) came over and bad mouthed the Bavarian brewers? I think it was also talked about as a possible law in the UK in the early 20th century as well.
It’s amazing how history actually is as opposed to what we believe. German Purity Laws aren’t necessary a benefit.

And the main reason the Prussians let the Bavarians have their way with implementing that law, was of course, taxes to fund the military. Was that the podcast where it seemed a chance that the US would adopt the same law until the director of the VLB (Berlin Brewing Institute) came over and bad mouthed the Bavarian brewers?

I think he said the head of the VLB said the Reinheitsgebot was primarily driven by the barley growers. The amazing part of the podcast was the decades long assault on German brewers in the U.S. I think it started during the American Civil War, they put a tax on beer by taxing the primary ingredient: Barley. And since German brewers were using adjuncts, the rumor was spread that they were only doing that to avoid paying taxes. And yes, America came close to having a Reinheitsgebot law as well. And for much the same reasons as Bavaria did.

I think he said the head of the VLB said the Reinheitsgebot was primarily driven by the barley growers. The amazing part of the podcast was the decades long assault on German brewers in the U.S. I think it started during the American Civil War, they put a tax on beer by taxing the primary ingredient: Barley. And since German brewers were using adjuncts, the rumor was spread that they were only doing that to avoid paying taxes. And yes, America came close to having a Reinheitsgebot law as well. And for much the same reasons as Bavaria did.
Come to Australia or don't for that matter I swear beer here is sooo expensive no purity law butbgovernment tax the crap out of beer. wine on the other hand is cheap in comparrison.
@Rockhead would have some insite on that having lived here for a bit.

Come to Australia or don't for that matter I swear beer here is sooo expensive no purity law butbgovernment tax the crap out of beer. wine on the other hand is cheap in comparrison.
@Rockhead would have some insite on that having lived here for a bit.

Beer is heavily taxed but wine isn't? Sounds like the Australian Winery Lobby is pretty strong down there.

Here's an interesting podcast on the history of American Adjunct beer. It all started in Germany. German brewers were using adjuncts everywhere in Germany except in Bavaria. Bavaria had 1516 Purity Law or Reinheitsgebot. Not all brewers in Germany were happy about the law and it's often said that Germany makes the best beer in the world despite Reinheitsgebot, not because of it. It wasn't until 1906 that Reinheitsgebot was applied to all of Germany.

https://www.masterbrewerspodcast.com/174

Thanks for the link @HighVoltageMan! Fascinating story and once again, beer changed society!

I don’t drink lager unless I make it or it’s Hofbrau so....Or Oktoberfest season
Josh - if you have an Aldi store near you you should check it out. There are a dozen or so in KY and more when you look at neighboring cities like Cin City. They typically have a German Pilsner from Wernesgruner. Cheap. And good. With supply chain f'd up, I found a Bren's Pilsner at a TN Aldi. Also good. AND I have found unscented oxy cleaner at Aldi.

Josh - if you have an Aldi store near you you should check it out. There are a dozen or so in KY and more when you look at neighboring cities like Cin City. They typically have a German Pilsner from Wernesgruner. Cheap. And good. With supply chain f'd up, I found a Bren's Pilsner at a TN Aldi. Also good. AND I have found unscented oxy cleaner at Aldi.
Good deal. I actually have one about 20 minutes away. I’ll check it out. Thanks!

I'll second the Wernesgruner, it's a way better beer than it's price would indicate(great pils at ANY price for that matter).

Back