Snapped back to reality...

I just lost the taste for that bit of caramelly sweetness (and really anything with a forward crystal malt flavor.) But I agree, it's a well put together beer and it just looks so cool in that green bottle with that classically designed label.

Yeah well..I guess some kids never grow up .......right Ward??? :rolleyes:

I was first drinking Yuengling back in the late 70's and the porter was my "go to" pretty much up until I started home brewing. Having grown up around Philly and then with their expansion, I've been close enough to Pottsville to always be able to get it...blessed? You betcha!

Nice little download here to share some history with you all

https://www.yuengling.com/userfiles...8QFnoECAgQAg&usg=AOvVaw1HAXdf0hJCy5hzkQUiKKYa

Several years ago I snagged a recipe (I think from HBT) but I have never brewed it. It was 1048/1015 with San Francisco Lager yeast (that may have been because I had some SFL). 65% 2 row 10% Munich dark 20% flaked maize (seems high) and 5% C120. Bitter to 12 IBU with Cluster and flavor to another 10 IBU with Cascade. I didn't record mash recommendations, but drier at 148 or sweeter at 152 is a guess.

We are able to get it here. The variety packs are nice. They make some nice beer.
@HighVoltageMan! minute rice? What is your procedure with it? I don’t typically drink adjunct lagers but I want to make some for sharing and to give it a chance since with brewing it myself I can adjust how I please.

Yeah well..I guess some kids never grow up .......right Ward??? :rolleyes:

I was first drinking Yuengling back in the late 70's and the porter was my "go to" pretty much up until I started home brewing. Having grown up around Philly and then with their expansion, I've been close enough to Pottsville to always be able to get it...blessed? You betcha!

Nice little download here to share some history with you all

https://www.yuengling.com/userfiles...8QFnoECAgQAg&usg=AOvVaw1HAXdf0hJCy5hzkQUiKKYa
Their Porter, yes. And I have always been a fan of their Lord Chesterfield Ale.

Their Porter, yes. And I have always been a fan of their Lord Chesterfield Ale.
Same only see those here when variety packs are in the stores. The lord chesterfield is nice

I also picked up a 6er of pint cans. I was tempted to get their Hershey Porter, as I recall it was delicious, but decided to get some Shiner Bock instead.

I also picked up a 6er of pint cans. I was tempted to get their Hershey Porter, as I recall it was delicious, but decided to get some Shiner Bock instead.
The Hershey Porter is great on flavor, but carries no head and is a bit thin for what it is.

The Hershey Porter is great on flavor, but carries no head and is a bit thin for what it is.
+1. I also remember it as being far too sweet. But that was a few years ago, so maybe they adjusted the recipe.

I don’t typically drink adjunct lagers
I don't know how you can avoid drinking adjunct lagers unless you stick to German imports. :D :D Any American lager and pretty much any Mexican import will be made with rice or corn as are virtually all import International Lagers - Saporo, Ichiban, Stella, Moretti, Tsing-Tao, Molson, etc, etc. Red Stripe is interesting (though probably not totally unique) in that their adjunct is cassava starch. :)

@HighVoltageMan! minute rice? What is your procedure with it?
Just throw it in the mash. You can throw it in boiling water as per directions to rehydrate it, that will help with the conversion to get along faster. Minute Rice is a great adjunct, it doesn't get rancid like flake rice.

Reactions: J A
Here's an interesting podcast on the history of American Adjunct beer. It all started in Germany. German brewers were using adjuncts everywhere in Germany except in Bavaria. Bavaria had 1516 Purity Law or Reinheitsgebot. Not all brewers in Germany were happy about the law and it's often said that Germany makes the best beer in the world despite Reinheitsgebot, not because of it. It wasn't until 1906 that Reinheitsgebot was applied to all of Germany.

https://www.masterbrewerspodcast.com/174

Just throw it in the mash. You can throw it in boiling water as per directions to rehydrate it, that will help with the conversion to get along faster. Minute Rice is a great adjunct, it doesn't get rancid like flake rice.
If you're going to rehydrate with boiling water, you might as well just cook white rice. I use Cal-Rose rice (extra starchy) and cook it for 20 minutes before adding to the mash. Works a little like a decoction because I add it to the mash after protein rest and it bumps the temp up to the conversion rest range. :)

Here's the Homebrew Supply clone recipe

My little brother pretty much lives on Yuengling. When he came down in August we brewed up 10 gallons based on that recipe. It also has a small amount of CaraPils if you look at the PDF. It came out surprisingly well but the FG was a bit off, it ended at 18 when it should have ended at 9. Waiting on his next visit to see what he thinks. Was the first lager I had brewed.

If you're going to rehydrate with boiling water, you might as well just cook white rice.
Rehydration only takes a minute or two, cooking takes 20-30 minutes, plus it may not be necessary. I haven't tried a rice cereal mash, but now you got me thinking about it. Interesting.

I'm lazy. If flaked rice is called for I use minute rice. If flaked corn is called for I use quick grits. Neither requires a cereal mash. It goes in with the barley in the mash.

Edited - because I'm a jumbo dumbo.

Last edited:
I'm lazy. If flaked maize is called for I use minute rice. If flaked corn is called for I use quick grits. Neither requires a cereal mash. It goes in with the barley in the mash.
Flaked maize is the same as flaked corn...mistype?

Rehydration only takes a minute or two, cooking takes 20-30 minutes, plus it may not be necessary. I haven't tried a rice cereal mash, but now you got me thinking about it. Interesting.
I use 5 lbs at a time and bulk rice costs a fourth to a third of what minute Rice costs. It's not really a cereal mash because the effect is the same as adding rehydrated minute rice. It's a little bit of a hassle but I start the rice right before I mash in and it's ready to go by the time the protein rest is done. I just have to remember to keep an eye on it and stir it a few times. Even with a pretty soupy mix, it wants gum up and stick and scorch in the thin-bottomed pot I have to use for it. :)

Flaked maize is the same as flaked corn...mistype?
Same thing. You say tomato, I say mater.

I edited the maize/corn thing. Was meant to be rice/corn. Thanks for catching it.

Last edited:
Reactions: J A
Rice gelatinizes at too high a temperature to use directly in the mash. Either use converted (parboiled) rice, rice flakes or cook it, essentially what a cereal mash does. Won't convert otherwise.

Back