Small Batch Yeast

CoFlyGuy

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
When I am brewing a very small batch of beer I am wondering how to figure out the quantity of yeast to produce 20 Billion cells. My current recipe is call for White Labs California Ale WL001.

I am having fun working on recipes and learning about building recipes. I am going to do a series of Small Batch SMaSH Recipes to dial in my taste buds to different hops. Thanks in advance.

Additionally, I will be signing up for a class very soon at my LHBS.

Liquid yeast is more of a crapshoot. Dry yeast contains 200 billion viable cells per 11-gram pack. Switch over to S-04 or Nottingham and you're good to go with 1/10 pack or 1/8 pack or whatever, weigh it out in grams if you want. I use partial packs all the time. They keep for many years in the refrigerator. I just pitched 1/4 pack of T-58 in my witbier a few minutes ago, 1.5-gallon batch. Fold over the corner, it's fine.

Last edited:
I use 1ml of pure fresh liquid yeast = 1 billion cells once it gets old I think it's a 10% degradation/month after packaging.

I thought dry yeast packs were 100billion maybe I'm getting that mixed up with liquid yeast vials from whitelabs.

Anyhow I think the yeast calculator on here will have your answers read the fine print;)

Dry yeast manufacturer's give a range of viable cells, typically about 100 billion per pack.
There's a big range in what they publish.

Picking a number somewhere in the middle is likely your safest option.

Back