Simple way to wash yeast?

For an easy alternative, I make larger than necessary starters and harvest some of the clean yeast off of that.

So if I need ~200B cells, I'll make a starter for ~250B, and save 1/5 of the starter for later reuse. Then I just make another starter, on and on it goes.
ok working out how much cells i need from a slurry is gonna take some research and the calcultor i guess,but,im in it for a goal.
i want to recreate the best selling, mass produced beer in south africa,just cause i can:);)

I made a Voss starter the other day that was from slurry 10 months old and it took off without a hitch.
But Kveik strains don't seem to follow the rules.
kveik is a bastard,hey?
i used a dry sachet in my first brews,couldnt understand why airlock was bubbling so quick after pitching.
thats before i did my research on it.
i had a heater on the fermenter running at about 32deg cel and was probably done in 2 days.
but back then i didnt have a hydrometer.
man,would love to do a blonde with kveik just to see the readings this time!
strangely enough kveik was sold out very soon at online shops in south africa during the alcohol ban after numerous posts on homebrewing forums about its quick fermentation.
avaolable now,but prices quite high.

ok working out how much cells i need from a slurry is gonna take some research and the calcultor i guess,but,im in it for a goal.
i want to recreate the best selling, mass produced beer in south africa,just cause i can:);)
Estimating yeast cells in a mixed slurry post fermentation is very rough guess work, but Wyeast has some decent information on it.

https://wyeastlab.com/yeast-harvesting-re-pitching

I made a Voss starter the other day that was from slurry 10 months old and it took off without a hitch.
But Kveik strains don't seem to follow the rules.

Hey Hawk...do tell! What sort of volumes of slurry to dme or wort did you use? I have 5 gallons of brown on a pouch of Imperal A44 kveik that is finishing up that I'd like to reuse in another brown ale.

I had probably 1cm of slurry in the bottom of the 500ml mason jar, dumped it in with 2 litres of starter wort and put it on a stir plate.
That much slurry under normal conditions would have been plenty for a 5g batch.

update
i stored the full slurry from that brew in the fridge,about 500ml.
used about 100ml each in next brews,8liter batches.
did its job.

ok so i dont need to warm it up then.

After hearing Denny Conn tout pitching right out of the fridge, decided to try if out. Works just fine, so that's my SOP now. Been doing it for more than a year (50+ batches) with good results.

I have been using 05 yeast, on about it's sixth save now. all I have done is before cleaning the fermenter is slosh around any remaining liquid and the yeast/trub real good and fill up a 4 ounce jar and stash it in the fridge. Once it did wait about three months and worked just fine. I have been setting it on the counter to warm up while brewing with the lid loose , some does crawl out of the jar. I think next time I will pitch cold as suggested.

After hearing Denny Conn tout pitching right out of the fridge, decided to try if out. Works just fine, so that's my SOP now. Been doing it for more than a year (50+ batches) with good results.
was concerned,cause palmers how to brew, if i remember correctly,o_O said yeast needs to wake up,stretch its legs and assess the environment its being pitche into.
so i assume getting the yeast to room temp,and adding a sample of the wort to it would make it more adaptive to the bulk wort?

was concerned,cause palmers how to brew, if i remember correctly,o_O said yeast needs to wake up,stretch its legs and assess the environment its being pitche into.
so i assume getting the yeast to room temp,and adding a sample of the wort to it would make it more adaptive to the bulk wort?

If you're reading from the on line edition of How to Brew, it's ancient history. Even the 4th edition that came out in early 2017 contains information that's since been outdated. Home brewing has evolved at head spinning speed over the last 15 years or so.
While following the procedure you outline will wok just fine, it's simply not necessary. As with many other aspects of brewing, there are many correct ways and you're free to use whatever works for you.

Resized_20201025_084705.jpeg
OK...Brew day is here and I'm thinking details after reading this again....so...I have about 8 hours in front of me before pitch time and I am wondering what specifically to do with these 2 pint jars of Kveik slurry, (little less than 500ml each so about a liter total) ?

@west1m looks to just dump from the fridge and @Hawkbox does a starter...I'm doing a 5 gallon batch of stout (J A's recipe) and want to reuse this first generation slurry in it.

Suggestions please!

Do you want to have leftover for another batch later? If so do a starter, if not just dump it straight in.

Do you want to have leftover for another batch later? If so do a starter, if not just dump it straight in.

OK, I just did a trip to the pitch calculator site and it looks like I'm good with an eyeballed half liter / half quart to the batch 5.5 Gallon.

Should I pour off the old beer from the slurry so not to introduce any off flavor the beer may have picked up in the last 5 weeks while in the fridge??

Here's an encouraging sign. The Kveik is showing a couple of bubbles coming to the top of the Mason jar!

You got plenty of yeast there I'd just pitch a tablespoon or two and keep the rest for many more brews.

Back