Show your DIY Projects

Work in progress
IMG_20240221_170157_340.jpg

My DIY for the day was changing oil in my small engine equipment and doing inspections on the older stuff.

Pulled the mowing deck out from under the riding mower and inspected it for cracks. Already welded it up a couple times to keep it going. Oil and filter and air filter on that(it’s a pretty big mower with a 22HP motor).

Disassembled a chipper/shredder I bought in 2005. Sharpened the blade and chipping knives, and checked the flails for cracks. Changed oil in that too.

The shredder took a bit longer than anticipated, so had to postpone the brush mower (Swisher rough cut mower), tiller,(50 year old Troybilt Horse) and a pressure washer. Made several messes in the process. Think I spent as much time sweeping as I did working on the equipment because of all the crap that fell outta the machines.

My DIY for the day was changing oil in my small engine equipment and doing inspections on the older stuff.

Pulled the mowing deck out from under the riding mower and inspected it for cracks. Already welded it up a couple times to keep it going. Oil and filter and air filter on that(it’s a pretty big mower with a 22HP motor).

Disassembled a chipper/shredder I bought in 2005. Sharpened the blade and chipping knives, and checked the flails for cracks. Changed oil in that too.

The shredder took a bit longer than anticipated, so had to postpone the brush mower (Swisher rough cut mower), tiller,(50 year old Troybilt Horse) and a pressure washer. Made several messes in the process. Think I spent as much time sweeping as I did working on the equipment because of all the crap that fell outta the machines.
What kind of oil do you use, and where do you get it?

I get straight 30 at wallymart for $14 a gallon. It's diesel oil, but that has more to do with its soot-handling capacity than its lubricity.

DIY neoprene jacket for my AIO. 1/4” and doubles up on the backside for 1/2” Insulation. Will it help? We’ll see. Online versions tout 10% faster heat up times and 50% less heat loss. my investment is $20 and an hour of my time.

Attachments

• IMG_3517.jpeg
    IMG_3517.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 17
DIY neoprene jacket for my AIO. 1/4” and doubles up on the backside for 1/2” Insulation. Will it help? We’ll see. Online versions tout 10% faster heat up times and 50% less heat loss. my investment is $20 and an hour of my time.
Where did you get the neoprene?

What kind of oil do you use, and where do you get it?

I get straight 30 at wallymart for $14 a gallon. It's diesel oil, but that has more to do with its soot-handling capacity than its lubricity.
Castrol GTX 10W-30. I like how clean that stuff keeps the inside of an engine. Used to run the 20W-50 in a VW Baja that I owned for the better part of 30 years. I was pretty abusive with my online namesake, but never had a failure that was oil related.

Been soldering.
I definitely need more practice. I think it must be 40 years plus since I last used a soldering iron.
But: I managed to fix the wiring on 2 torch light solar panels.
Quite proud of myself, so I can have a beer after finishing my tea :)

That looks really good. I'm about 70% ready to begin assembling a trailer for the farm I'm going to build for my mom.
I assume you are building a trailer, not a farm. I have a tiny 'farm' trailer, handier than a wheelbarrow for sure.

Yeah it's going to be around 3x4' and towed behind a quad. The farm is already there so I don't need to do anything with it.

Yeah it's going to be around 3x4' and towed behind a quad. The farm is already there so I don't need to do anything with it.
A neighbor gave me an old boat trailer designed for a 10' aluminum boat shortly after I moved in. Gotta love having good neighbors. I chopped about 3 feet off the tongue and built a wood body with PT lumber and decking, winding up with a 5 x 7. Already had a little dump box that I could pull behind the riding mower, but this thing knocked a lotta trips off hauling off leaves during fall cleanups. I've never even wired lights on it because I've never needed one that small on the road. I left the winch on it for a long time, and could easily tip it up, then winch the riding mower up into the body. I could still lift the tongue with one hand with the rider in the box. Pretty sure that would have some serious speed wobbles at highway speed.

Back