Show your DIY Projects

I've been busy with old pallets and power tools...I can get a case of 12 ounces, more if I tight pack them loose, 30 bombers and I have 12 inch tall design that does wine bottles. These are hefty so I expect them to last. Those cleats on the bottom make them interlock so they are very stackable.

20220828_174201.jpg

Oh yeah...and some heavy cardboard
20220828_175441.jpg

I've been busy with old pallets and power tools...I can get a case of 12 ounces, more if I tight pack them loose, 30 bombers and I have 12 inch tall design that does wine bottles. These are hefty so I expect them to last. Those cleats on the bottom make them interlock so they are very stackable.

View attachment 22051
Oh yeah...and some heavy cardboard
View attachment 22052
Noice! Gotta do something similar that I can fit on my shelves in the basement under the stairs. Pretty constant temperature and pretty dark too, so ideal storage for things that don’t like light and heat. Something stackable and light, but strong. I’m thinking luan sheet instead of cardboard, or some greenhouse sheeting. Something that can be cleaned in case the unthinkable and unsayable happens.

This is version 1 of my CO2 recovery system to feed CO2 back into the fermentor during cold-crash. The bag is from a boxed wine and the hose is connected at either end by short pieces of brass tubing. The only weak point is the connection to the shutoff valve on the bag. My effort to stabilize the connection with a wire coat hanger was mostly successful.

CO2 recovery V1.jpg

This is version 1 of my CO2 recovery system to feed CO2 back into the fermentor during cold-crash. The bag is from a boxed wine and the hose is connected at either end by short pieces of brass tubing. The only weak point is the connection to the shutoff valve on the bag. My effort to stabilize the connection with a wire coat hanger was mostly successful.

View attachment 22072
if it ever fails, try mylar balloons. you just pull out the fill valve with needle nose and wrap a hair band around the hose.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/straining-adjuncts-before-bottling.15838/#post-167574

if it ever fails, try mylar balloons. you just pull out the fill valve with needle nose and wrap a hair band around the hose.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/straining-adjuncts-before-bottling.15838/#post-167574

I thought I could get a better seal than I wound up with. Plus I can close the valve when it's at max inflation and open it back up at cold-crash time. I also worried about any chemicals or powders they put inside the mylar balloons to keep them from sticking together or seal better. Basically are they food safe?

I thought I could get a better seal than I wound up with. Plus I can close the valve when it's at max inflation and open it back up at cold-crash time. I also worried about any chemicals or powders they put inside the mylar balloons to keep them from sticking together or seal better. Basically are they food safe?
Ones i got had nothing in them. Just mylar. Only thing you have to do is pull out the little sealer that collapses in on itself (when using it as a balloon)

image.jpg

Today’s progress and;
image.jpg

today’s waste.
Told y’all I’m stingy. The stuff I used today was all leftovers from my shop build, thus the weird angles on the scraps. I used a piece of old plywood that was painted red on one side with a lacquer paint, making it perfectly waterproof to make the bottom. Still need to cut the doors and put a seal flange on them. Baffle cut and fit, but not yet installed and no vent holes cut yet. Again, this was scrap luan from a crate
image.jpg

Should get the doors finished tomorrow and get the top put on. Got more of the okd painted plywood to do the bottom shelf of the bench. Should have plenty room for brewing when I get this done. I’m figuring a pump might be needed to transfer the fermenter after cooling with the fermenter sitting in the chamber. Been wanting one for recirculating during sparging anyway. Hot side use only for now. Will likely try to work out something for pressure transfer when fermentation is done. The FF-7.9 isn’t pressure rated, but I don’t think a couple PSI should hurt it. Might try with a spunding valve and just use residual fermenter gas to do the work, or will get a CO2 cylinder and regulator.

Back