Show your DIY Projects

Was that wrapped around the fermenter or the fermenter sitting on it or were you just warming the air in the fridge? As cheap as they are, I’m considering a second one to prevent getting the chamber too hot. I doubt it’ll be any where near the efficiency of the insulation of a fridge, and I don’t know how quickly it will melt the ice in the cooling box. I’m basically building it similar to a control cabinet I built for outdoor installation on the roof of Coor’s brewing in Colorado. There was some temperature sensitive electronics in that which wouldn’t stand a chance against the temperature excursions on that roof. I don’t anticipate much need for heat either, but the efficiency of warming air around a storage tank leaves a little to be desired. I’m hoping that the liquid temperature will help buffer any heat cycles.

if you are concerned about the air getting too hot, why not heat the beer itself?

I use this in a stainless thermwell.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0741664G5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

definitely gonna need a different sensor to fit in the thermowell on the conical fermenter.

Like this?

amazon.com/Stainless-Thermocouple-Thermostat-Temperature-Controller/dp/B01AHGWFOK?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Wrapped around a stainless Spike Flex fermenter and held on with a bungee cord.
Ah. Hard to wrap anything around a cone shaped tank with an unattached stand. In contact, the heating pad would have a much better heat transfer, especially on a stainless steel fermenter. I haven’t graduated to a stainless fermenter yet. They’re a bit pricey for my skill level. Plastic tank might actually do better with air flow all around. The heater has a little klixon overtemp switch too, so should protect the element from damage. I will probably limit chamber temperature to about 80F and use the batch temperature to switch from cooling to heat.

New toys today:
image.jpg
That’s a tiny 300W heater. I have a space heater thermostat that I’m going to use to max the chamber air temperature with to hopefully avoid heat surging. I’ll leave the fan running to keep the air moving in heat cycle.

I’m thinking I might put some louvers on the baffle to minimize the heat from being blown into the cooling section. Something like a dryer vent should work nicely if the fans will push ‘em open. No point in melting ice that doesn’t need melted.

if you are concerned about the air getting too hot, why not heat the beer itself?

I use this in a stainless thermwell.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0741664G5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Saved for a future reference. I’m a little nervous about adding a thermowell to the FF7.9, mostly because I don’t see many that are bulkhead style wells. Last thing I need to do is create a leak and kill my fermenter, but yeah, I’ll look into that too. Gotta be something our there. Strangely enough, I’ve seen those used in newer high voltage switches (much larger of course) to make it easier to maintain or replace defective heating elements without shutting down the power. I’ll give air temperature control a go first. I don’t anticipate needing much heat in a chamber this small. The yeast partying down will probably be plenty.

Couldn't help but think of this, love this song...

Lol...a far cry from, Carmen or any Wagner stuff!

openculture.com/2017/01/how-the-1957-bugs-bunnys-cartoon-whats-opera-doc-inspired-todays-opera-singers.html

I'm not sure where I read this but I recall reading that Old Classical music and Opera gets used a lot by Hollywood because it's in the public domain and not subject to paying anyone use royalties...hmmmm more cheap bastard like me!

What's this thread on again? Hijacking? I think I love tangents as much as not spending money!

Saved for a future reference. I’m a little nervous about adding a thermowell to the FF7.9, mostly because I don’t see many that are bulkhead style wells. Last thing I need to do is create a leak and kill my fermenter, but yeah, I’ll look into that too. Gotta be something our there. Strangely enough, I’ve seen those used in newer high voltage switches (much larger of course) to make it easier to maintain or replace defective heating elements without shutting down the power. I’ll give air temperature control a go first. I don’t anticipate needing much heat in a chamber this small. The yeast partying down will probably be plenty.
I use these two items. never had a leak just keep it above the liquid line for safety sake lol

https://www.amazon.com/Horiznext-St...pd_rd_i=B07LDQ2QCL&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_6_i

https://www.amazon.com/Strain-Relie...cable+gland&qid=1662225789&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

I take it you're threading the CGB into the stainless bulkhead fitting. Surely someone's got a weldless 6mm ID thermowell. That can't leak except around the gasket on the bulkhead, and would be relatively smooth inside to make clean-up easier. I Like that bulkhead fitting for addition of valves, though. More links to the collection, LOL.

This looks more like what I need, but now, I'm trying to figure out WHY I need it. I'm sure I said why, somewhere, but the FF7.9 already has a thermowell in it. Gotta go back and read this discussion now, LOL.

Amazon.com: 1/2 inch thermowell weldless with Screw nut Gasket Stainless Steel 304 for Homebrew Brewing 30mm 50mm 100mm 150mm 200mm 300mm 400mm 500mm (30mm) : Industrial & Scientific

Those work, but that heater i posted is 8mm and the thermowell is 8mm. It won't fit, i tried lol.

Plus those fittings are $10. Lots cheaper. They do work really well though. Come with the silicon seals and washers

Got back on the fermenter chamber today after mowing grass this morning (with my newly repaired mower) and taking my daughter to the orthopedist. Built and mounted the control box, put hinges on the top, got all the wiring done inside the control box and ready to penetrate the top. Gonna put a quick disconnect plug in the harness between the top and mounted devices in the chamber tomorrow. Should be ready to try it out by the weekend. Still need to add door seals to make the ice last as long as possible. Think I’ll just use some EPDM to cover the gaps around the doors from the inside of the chamber.

Oh yeah, will likely use some wood flooring underlayment for insulation.

31302399-0F82-418B-8B0B-2775FD311FF4.jpeg
E01F39FA-EEA6-47F6-80B9-FA9A69279C0F.jpeg
7CEF0E6E-CA79-489E-A046-5F0F941D4E4A.jpeg
EC11994B-0BC1-4FEA-8440-71A6F0486443.jpeg
A681D9D5-C398-4116-BF5A-F7CB4CAB5D23.jpeg

This is what I use
20220908_160555.jpg

That one smack bang in the middle it's a plastic thermoprobe bulkhead

that bulkhead slides up and down to meet the depth of your fermenter.

Last edited:
This is what I useView attachment 22210
That one smack bang in the middle it's a plastic thermoprobe bulkhead

that bulkhead slides up and down to meet the depth of your fermenter.
Think some of ya missed the point that the fermenter already has a thermowell in it. It’s sized for the thermometer, which looks to be 1/4” or 8 mm. Haven’t measured the temperature gauge insert yet.

Did get the wiring done a smoke test is done. All the magic blue smoke is still in fans, heater, pilot relays, and controller. Checked cooling and heating. FIGJAM! It’s really quiet. Barely audible clunk when the pilot relays pick up. Now I gotta freeze some ice in 1/2 gallon jugs and give it a spin. The missus gets insulin and I get cholesterol meds delivered. The packages have biodegradable ice packs that might do better than plain water if I refreeze it in larger quantity (use it in same 1/2 gallon jugs). Maybe worthy of a melt test. Can supposedly use it for plant food, so can’t be too bad. Not that I drink a lot of fertilizer. The missus says I’m full of fertilizer, though.
I’m
image.jpg

Home made plenum for the heater.
image.jpg

Think some of ya missed the point that the fermenter already has a thermowell in it. It’s sized for the thermometer, which looks to be 1/4” or 8 mm. Haven’t measured the temperature gauge insert yet.

Did get the wiring done a smoke test is done. All the magic blue smoke is still in fans, heater, pilot relays, and controller. Checked cooling and heating. FIGJAM! It’s really quiet. Barely audible clunk when the pilot relays pick up. Now I gotta freeze some ice in 1/2 gallon jugs and give it a spin. The missus gets insulin and I get cholesterol meds delivered. The packages have biodegradable ice packs that might do better than plain water if I refreeze it in larger quantity (use it in same 1/2 gallon jugs). Maybe worthy of a melt test. Can supposedly use it for plant food, so can’t be too bad. Not that I drink a lot of fertilizer. The missus says I’m full of fertilizer, though.
I’mView attachment 22211
Home made plenum for the heater.
View attachment 22212
looks like that will work. how many watts is that?

looks like that will work. how many watts is that?
300W. Not as hot as you might think, though. Would probably be hotter if I forced all the air from the fan through it. A considerable amount goes around the heater. That was a little more elaborate than wanted to attempt. It was warm enough to tell it was on, and too hot to touch the heater directly. Fan pulls air into the bottom of the plenum and blows on the heater to prevent heating the fan. The heater came with its own m little overtemp switch, so I skipped the additional thermostat.

Next task is a drip pan to get rid of condensate. Not like there’s a shortage of that in Alabama. I have plenty EPDM sheet so might be able to fabricate something with that. Then I want to test with 6 fully frozen jugs of ice to figure out melt rate.

300W. Not as hot as you might think, though. Would probably be hotter if I forced all the air from the fan through it. A considerable amount goes around the heater. That was a little more elaborate than wanted to attempt. It was warm enough to tell it was on, and too hot to touch the heater directly. Fan pulls air into the bottom of the plenum and blows on the heater to prevent heating the fan. The heater came with its own m little overtemp switch, so I skipped the additional thermostat.
unless it is outside when it is cold 300W is enough. I had a 300W element in the fermentor and it was too much. over shot on the PID constantly

unless it is outside when it is cold 300W is enough. I had a 300W element in the fermentor and it was too much. over shot on the PID constantly
It will be in my tractor shed this winter. Otherwise I don’t think the heater will ever come on. Mostly to keep the yeast from freezing in winter, and we don’t get much hard freeze here. Mine is going to warm the air around the fermenter, no direct contact. I may rarely use it to bump finishing temps. Perhaps more when I know more about what I’m doing. Once I get an idea about the effects of temperature control, I may buy a Tilt for real-time monitoring/trending so I can see when the yeast flatlines. I’m not smart enough for that much info yet.

Back