Show your DIY Projects

It's been a bit of a weird summer for me. Been in a funk for a while but we're making progress on the truck and I decided to revamp some of my brewing setup cause I found a killer deal. Turns out I suck at and hate body work on vehicles but we're nearly done the important parts. I will probably pay someone next year to do a proper job on the whole truck.
upload_2022-7-28_20-3-5.png

It's been a bit of a weird summer for me. Been in a funk for a while but we're making progress on the truck and I decided to revamp some of my brewing setup cause I found a killer deal. Turns out I suck at and hate body work on vehicles but we're nearly done the important parts. I will probably pay someone next year to do a proper job on the whole truck.
View attachment 21634
I am afraid I have some bad news for you: The rust will always win. Once steel has rusted, there is nothing that really stops it. You can certainly slow it down though.

But, perfect truck for hauling stuff. Drive it until it digs it's own hole into the ground.

Yeah I've accepted that largely so I think I'm gonna find the closest matching colour I can and just sand and spray as I go then even it out afterward. She's not going to be a show model anyway so no point in killing myself over it.

Even faded, a paint or larger body shop can match the paint almost perfectly. Or a can of rustoleum in light blue...

look into phosphate rust reformer, it slows rust 2 or 3 years.

you need this!

But, perfect truck for hauling stuff. Drive it until it digs it's own hole into the ground.

It's as sad but practical fact...use it until ya can't use it no more...especially if you became fond of the 'ol bucket of bolts.. I had a few Fords that faded away under those circumstances....I still managed to sell them for parts.

Hey @Hawkbox ... Try pouring some of that Dr. Pepper on the rust! I heard that works...or maybe that was Coke....hmmmmm

I have rust remover and it seems to work on surface rust pretty good, the bubble rust is a different problem. This truck isn't going to be my daily driver or anything anyway so it's not a high risk issue, I just want to take care of it.

@Minbari ??
upload_2022-8-21_10-21-52.png

Coca cola contains phosphoric acid, which leaves a coating of black iron phosphate, kinda rust resistant. Many companies sell rust re-former for the same purpose. Coke takes a lot longer.

I have rust remover and it seems to work on surface rust pretty good, the bubble rust is a different problem. This truck isn't going to be my daily driver or anything anyway so it's not a high risk issue, I just want to take care of it.

@Minbari ??
View attachment 21947

was supposed to be this

il_fullxfull.2363778947_4m0g.png

We found some planting boxes at a local hardware store that actually originated from DownUnder, not too far from Ben. They come in 1/2 m, 1 m, and 2 m modular kits. They weren’t selling, so the missus got all the ones in the first photo and 2 more 1m kits for less than the price of 1 of the 2m kits. Took nearly 3 cubic yards of raised bed soil to fill them, but we only had to water maybe 4 times this summer. Water is stored in a reservoir under the soil, and leaches up into the soil. We also got winter covers for freeze protection. If you’re interested, check out Vegepod.com.au. We decided to try some late crop beans, turnips, radish, lettuce, brussel sprouts, broccoli,and beets. Everything except the carrots, leeks, raspberry vines, and strawberries was planted 4 days ago. The beans grew nearly 2 inches today. They’re supposed to be bush beans. I hope so or we’re going to have a very full planter.
The small pot with small plants is radish. The ones on the deck rail are lettuce that was in very poor condition, but 4 days of rain and no harsh sunshine has tripled the size of the plants since Sunday.

Now if we can keep the bloody bugs off our veggies…..
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Back