Show your DIY Projects

Just buff it in with a cloath I've got one with lavender oil in it makes for a nice smelling work piece once ya done lol.

You need to 're apply the wax maybe 6monthly.

Here we go knocked this up this arvo.
Coated with bees wax brings out the natural color in the grain me thinks:).
20210609_164537.jpg

Here we go knocked this up this arvo.
Coated with bees wax brings out the natural color in the grain me thinks:).
View attachment 16142
Redgum? Very nice looking work. I too like the idea of the beeswax. All natural, and bees know a thing or two about storing food that won't spoil. Things humans haven't begun to understand yet. I'd be a lot less worried about anything on the hot side of the brew. After all, you're gonna scald any grains with hot water, then boil the hell out of the drippings for nearly an hour. Not likely any bacteria is going to survive that. But a rack with all my measuring gadgets, yeah, I want that sanitary. VERY sanitary.

PS, didn't see your vegemite nearby. Looks like ya just cut some toast on the cutting board in the background. How close is the link between vegemite and brewing? I know vegemite is a yeast extract and has the shelf-life of plutonium. Whatever yeast extract means. What can you possibly extract from a single cell organism? Sometimes, I'd like to see the process for making vegemite. Then, I think again, nah, I probably don't.

Last edited:
Vegemite is mostly hydrolyzed (= dead) yeast and a bunch of salt. Yeast extract.

Redgum? Very nice looking work. I too like the idea of the beeswax. All natural, and bees know a thing or two about storing food that won't spoil. Things humans haven't begun to understand yet. I'd be a lot less worried about anything on the hot side of the brew. After all, you're gonna scald any grains with hot water, then boil the hell out of the drippings for nearly an hour. Not likely any bacteria is going to survive that. But a rack with all my measuring gadgets, yeah, I want that sanitary. VERY sanitary.

PS, didn't see your vegemite nearby. Looks like ya just cut some toast on the cutting board in the background. How close is the link between vegemite and brewing? I know vegemite is a yeast extract and has the shelf-life of plutonium. Whatever yeast extract means. What can you possibly extract from a single cell organism? Sometimes, I'd like to see the process for making vegemite. Then, I think again, nah, I probably don't.
Vegemite and cheese now your talking
I think it could be Acacia or some mixed wood board does the job.

Vegemite is mostly hydrolyzed (= dead) yeast and a bunch of salt. Yeast extract.
Ever had the stuff? You're right about the salt. That's about all I can taste in the stuff. The missus loves the stuff (she grew up eating it), and so does my 13 year old grand daughter, who also grew up eating it, but at norther latitudes. We'd bring back HUMONGOUS jars of the stuff when we went to visit DownUnder, and it never lasted long enough, especially when the Missus' kids were still here. Strangely, they don't buy it for themselves now that they're out on their own. They wait for me to take the Missus back home for holiday knowing full well she'll bring back huge jars of the stuff. I love what it does for a good thick stew. Can't beat the flavor. But somehow, it just isn't something the average Yank will ever develop a taste for.

And I still gotta ask, what was that much yeast (enough to make a paste with the consistency of peanut butter) used for? Just making Vegemite? Surely there was another process involved.

Try vegemite spread on buttered toast, and salt on buttered toast. You will taste the difference.

I suspect they initially used yeast that was waste from another process, but today I am happy to believe they grow yeast just to make vegemite (marmite in the UK).

As a friend from London said, either you love it or hate it. Me, I can do without it but do not find it unpleasant.

The local Publix sells marmite.

If you really want to climb out on that limb, tell an Aussie from South Australia that Marmite, or Promite, are the same thing as Vegemite. You will be corrected, and VERY quickly. The Missus won't touch either Promite or Marmite. But loves her Vegemite.

I live a few kms away from the factory. Riding to work I could always smell when there was a production run. I can't think that the yeast are needed for any of the other products that company makes, so I suspect they just grow up the yeast specifically for the vegemite.

It's a common addition to my diet even helps with hangovers they say or takes your mind of one :p

My wife always has a jar of marmite in the cupboard, I have not had the courage to try it to be honest.
Tt looks like old wheel bearing grease to me...

Tt looks like old wheel bearing grease to me...
And smells worse. We have a jar of marmite for the 'emergency' that occurs when the last scrape of the Vegemite jar is insufficient to cover at least a whole loaf of bread. It doesn't take much (like the wheel bearing grease) to cover a lot of toast. The missus just ordered two more jars of Vegemite from Amazon. Marmite is our reminder why we buy Vegemite. Very different aroma from Vegemite, surely.

Just making a False Bottom for my Mash Tun - well mash bucket actually. Got fed up with the stuck mash the other day as I hadn't put enough Oat Husks in it so this may help things along.
I got a sheet of perforated Stainless Steel and cut it to size. I cut down a stainless stand from the microwave as a base to stand off the base of the tun and the snake filter I use.
upload_2021-6-11_21-30-6.png

upload_2021-6-11_21-30-37.png

upload_2021-6-11_21-30-59.png

upload_2021-6-11_21-31-25.png

Last edited:
Yeah they're all warped as hell so I'm going to swap them with fence board as I'm able to scavenge bits but they did the job for now. Course it was 30c while I was doing this yesterday so it was hot as hell.

Back