Show your DIY Projects

Picked up a Brewzilla 35L last month, and had ordered a sparge arm as well.
My guy couldn't tell me how long it would take to get it in so I cancelled and made this for about $5.00 (Canadian Dollars, so that is like $3.50 US). I will probably redo this in stainless once it proves to work well, but I had the tubing , and the camlock fitting, just needed to get the brass tube fitting. And of course there is Humphrey Brewgart casting his ever suspicious eye on what I am doing.

20200902_125948.jpg

20200902_125955.jpg

I don't see any reason to redo it, should work fine!

Agreed, it's nicer than the one that comes with it. Also, in retrospect if I was going to buy tubing and not use it I should have bought copper. The stainless is damned tough and my hand pipe bender is probably going to break first.

I actually sell tubing, you name it I sell it. Poly, pvc, polyurethane, nylon, steel, stainless, copper, inch and metric sizes of all... we have all the tools (and the skill) to bend it up nice. I used a bender for the bottom two bends but just hand bent the top as it was coiled tubing

I doubt the amount of O2 ingress will have much affect. I took a different approach. the thermowell negated a need for the thermometer and provides an air tight application too.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/thermowell-adapter-for-speidel-fermenter.12600/

I actually looked at your setup but went with this approach because I didn't realize that the regular inkbird probe would slide down a thermowell tube. I thought you needed a long probe. By the time I learned otherwise I already had the long-stem thermometer.

Just been testing my new Whirlpool fitting on my boiler. I use the same pump for Lautering but this time it is attached to the boiler output and the new Whirlpool fitting.

Attachments

• 20200912_132401.jpg
    20200912_132401.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 20200912_132423.jpg
    20200912_132423.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 98
Just been testing my new Whirlpool fitting on my boiler. I use the same pump for Lautering but this time it is attached to the boiler output and the new Whirlpool fitting.
Looks like the GO. I send my return back by.a.length of silicon hose it usually finds its level around the top of the wort.
Hey is it creating a whirlpool?
It just looks like the pipe is pointed down sorry to be a picky bastard the angle just don't look sharp enough.

Looks like the GO. I send my return back by.a.length of silicon hose it usually finds its level around the top of the wort.
Hey is it creating a whirlpool?
It just looks like the pipe is pointed down sorry to be a picky bastard the angle just don't look sharp enough.

Hi Ben, The "jet" if I can call it that is aimed downwards around the edge of the boiler. So far I have tested it with just water but it seems to work. The view of the pipe is distorted by the water refractive index (hey my science teacher was right - I would use it after all!!!) and the picture below should show it better. The pipe can be adjusted if it isn't at the right angle though. We shall see if it functions the next time I brew.

The two items to the bottom of the side wall are the plug of the original tap and the inlet to the sight glass. The boiler is a 30lt tea urn modified with proper ball valve tap and updated electrics for the elements built in to the base. I also got some stainless steel mesh and improved the bazooka - the original one was just too small.

upload_2020-9-13_11-14-44.png

Hi Ben, The "jet" if I can call it that is aimed downwards around the edge of the boiler. So far I have tested it with just water but it seems to work. The view of the pipe is distorted by the water refractive index (hey my science teacher was right - I would use it after all!!!) and the picture below should show it better. The pipe can be adjusted if it isn't at the right angle though. We shall see if it functions the next time I brew.

The two items to the bottom of the side wall are the plug of the original tap and the inlet to the sight glass. The boiler is a 30lt tea urn modified with proper ball valve tap and updated electrics for the elements built in to the base. I also got some stainless steel mesh and improved the bazooka - the original one was just too small.

View attachment 11908
AH yes refractive index:confused::p.
Makes sence and like that looks like it'll get the wort moving. Yep I know a few brewers who have gone that route with the big urn boiler why not.

AH yes refractive index:confused::p.
Makes sence and like that looks like it'll get the wort moving. Yep I know a few brewers who have gone that route with the big urn boiler why not.

Well it has saved me a fortune. The boiler cost me £30 second hand and I added all the extra bits to make it functional. An equivalent commercial boiler would have cost me 2 or 3 times what I have shed out so far. I made my own mash tun using an old FV and a lot of polystyrene insulation donated by the neighbour. I can maintain 65C over the hour within a degree or two. I get full conversion every time - so my iodine tests confirm anyway.

Not brewing related but fits this thread I think.

Been building a barn door last couple of weeks. It's not far off completion now. Just gotta flip it over and sand the back then get to coating it. Going to coat the front with bees wax trying to keep it nice and lite coloured. I don't like it how the pine yellows when you varnish it well not in this case anyhow.

Barn doors cost around $300
That's why I've built my own I rekon it's cost around half that and I get to build it.

Cheers.
Resized_20200823_155026.jpeg

Before and now
20200916_123539.jpg

It's going in here
20200916_132032.jpg

Where I'm standing is the tv room we put an Air con in this room so I said to the missus ah I'll put a barn door in so we can keep the cool in.

I'll flick a pic when it's hanging in place.

Not brewing related but fits this thread I think.

Been building a barn door last couple of weeks. It's not far off completion now. Just gotta flip it over and sand the back then get to coating it. Going to coat the front with bees wax trying to keep it nice and lite coloured. I don't like it how the pine yellows when you varnish it well not in this case anyhow.

Barn doors cost around $300
That's why I've built my own I rekon it's cost around half that and I get to build it.

Cheers.View attachment 11952
Before and now View attachment 11953
It's going in here
View attachment 11954
Where I'm standing is the tv room we put an Air con in this room so I said to the missus ah I'll put a barn door in so we can keep the cool in.

I'll flick a pic when it's hanging in place.
You are pretty talented with working the wood there Ben!

Barn doors cost how much?!! For one that size is highway robbery.

Back