Show your DIY Projects

Huh I would have thought it would be much further off than that.
Nah, our carboys are pretty small and fermenting yeast mixes the liquid pretty well. I tape my thermometer probe to the outside of the carboy and run at the bottom end of the yeast's range.

Do I even need a thermowell? I was looking at purchasing a thermowell and a thermometer and thought I could cut the cost in half if I didn't buy a thermowell. Are there any negatives to just inserting a long-stem dial thermometer through a stopper in the fermenter lid and let it sit in contact with the wort/beer for the entire 3-4 week fermentation?

You can do that. The discussion was about temperature probes where the wire portion would be immersed. Like the inkbird temp probe or others. Don't use CPU thermal grease it dries out. I use this:
2020-07-18 12.40.14.jpg

You can do that. The discussion was about temperature probes where the wire portion would be immersed. Like the inkbird temp probe or others. Don't use CPU thermal grease it dries out. I use this: View attachment 10932

Thanks for the clarification on the thermal grease!
I have to request one more clarification: The probe for an inkbird controller will slide down to the tip of a thermowell? I always thought a thermowell was only for a long metal probes.

The probe for an inkbird controller will slide down to the tip of a thermowell?

Yes it does, and you want to ensure you press it in as far as possible so it contacts the tip/sides of the thermowell tubing. Don't use very much thermal grease just enough to allow contact. I also add a bit of air duct sealant putty to seal the opening of the thermowell. It doesn't dry out and you can reuse it. You can get it at most hardware stores and big box, here's a link https://www.gardnerbender.com/en/p/DS-130/Duct-Seal-Compound-1-lb-Pugs#

IMHO that I don't bother with any grease, I think that the reading is close enough as is. I am not getting any off flavors from fermentation temperature fluctuations.

Keep in mind I'm doing this for my mash, not my fermentation. My brewbuckets have a thermowell built in I just stuff the temp probe in and call good enough.

Thanks, I had thought of that and have several spares in the parts closet. With the glycol there's not even a thought of freezing running at 32F, 0C degrees. The pump's only rated for 32F so I didn't try to go colder.

Tried cold crashing and set the glycol to 26F, and Fermenter to 33F and it's happy there. Pump doesn't seem to be stressed. I'm not out much if it fails. Maybe I'll buy a spare pump for the parts closet.

Tried cold crashing and set the glycol to 26F, and Fermenter to 33F and it's happy there. Pump doesn't seem to be stressed. I'm not out much if it fails. Maybe I'll buy a spare pump for the parts closet.
What pump do you use Frosty?

Nice work!

Great craftsmanship there man.

Thanks Friends! it's about time I find another use for that chain saw then just making firewood! I got a cutting board in the works...not quite brewing related unless I put a loaf of Sour Dough or some of my reclaimed mash bread on it! Stay tuned!

First brew on the brewzilla and my chill water was flowing to quickly, didn't have anything handy to slow it down on the fly. Don't really want to eff around with another valve either.
[]

That's using the noodle!

Back