Show your DIY Projects

No sorry for the confusion. Because the cover is on when you're boiling you can use a much lower duty cycle on the boil element. On my rig 38% is a very vigorous boil with the cover on. The steam condenser handles that just fine. However, if you raise the duty cycle too high it cannot evacuate all of the steam and it'll pressurize the kettle enough that some steam escapes from the lid.
Gotcha like cooking with the lid on it takes less heat to boil sorta like a pressure cooker too?

So your boil off will reduce dramatically Ozarks?
Gee I bet your first pilsner base beer will be a DMS tester:rolleyes:?
That’s what I was thinking. Looks impressive though.

So your boil off will reduce dramatically Ozarks?
Gee I bet your first pilsner base beer will be a DMS tester:rolleyes:?

The boil off is lower but I don't think there's much difference in the volatility of the Boil. The steam condenser reduces the pressure in the kettle. I haven't detected any DMS yet. Others have mentioned long term stability. Don't know yet.

I was having a terrible time finding a way to run the vent out of my space and the steam condenser solved that. Note it get's very cold here sometimes.

I looked at buying the parts but Bobby had them in stock so I bought one of his.

And also for some reason this thread goes back to Larry Brewer. Where I subscribed and then things went sideways.

Nothing major, but thought I would share how I added a thermowell to a 30L Speidel Fermenter. Having two speidels, I can get by with one lid intact, and the other drilled for a thermowell. Excuse the folded over tube for the second opening in the silicon plug, I will get a proper plug for that.
20200318_112328.jpg

20200318_112709.jpg

20200318_113329.jpg

Any idea what type of glue to use for this?

4EEAD688-2D3C-4F48-B0A7-7387D8DCD997.jpeg

Any idea what type of glue to use for this?

View attachment 9062
I've had that happen pouring boiling water in them the glue weakens.

Um I'd get the grinder out or 80grit sandpaper rough both surfaces up clear the dust and use two part epoxy.
Or Areldite is another one (Not sure on spelling).

I haven't had a keg let go on me like that but I think Ben has the right idea.

Thanks
Taping the probe to the side of the speidel wasn't working very well for me, glad to get back to reading actual wort temperature.

I'll be interested if you find much of a difference in the temperature like I DIDN"T...….or was this a matter of the tape on probe not sticking or staying put on the glass?

I'll be interested if you find much of a difference in the temperature like I DIDN"T...….or was this a matter of the tape on probe not sticking or staying put on the glass?
The speidels are somewhat barrel shaped, there are no flat spots to tape my probe to, consequently the temperature readings were fluctuating up and down a lot. When I did use carboys taping the probe on worked very well, I had some reflective to help the probe read the surface temperature of the carboy. So, I have noticed a big improvement already.

Back