Show your DIY Projects

Oh... so you’re not building it for fishing purposes, rather as an accelerator to composting! That’s way cool!

Oh... so you’re not building it for fishing purposes, rather as an accelerator to composting! That’s way cool!
Pretty much :) you can collect the juice out the bottom (worm piss) and dilute that 10:1 for a plant booster watch them tomatoes grow then! The castings are great too.

I'm a sustainable type like to try and grow make most things beer included :D.

Why do you think they gave us Erector sets as kids? To help us make beer as adults! :D

Looks great!

Haa LOL..Yeah! I got my erector set when Mr. Monahan was cleaning out his basement and figured out his son was more interested in girls than building a toy crane...I think I still have the little electro magnet that came with the rust coated box of pressed steel parts kicking around here somewhere..

Is there anything out there today like that or is an "erector set" another generational reference today that only the old guys get?

When I want worm piss I'll just open a ball valve attached to that bottom drain plug.

OK....OK OK...just what would call for someone wanting "worm piss" ?? Is that just Aussie slang for a ready bad home brew or a "box of goon"?? I just have a compost pile......Oh wait! now I get it..it's a task specific tool for brewing "compost tea", right??

OK....OK OK...just what would call for someone wanting "worm piss" ?? Is that just Aussie slang for a ready bad home brew or a "box of goon"?? I just have a compost pile......Oh wait! now I get it..it's a task specific tool for brewing "compost tea", right??
Well if we're getting techy in a brew forum on different types of home made fertilizer in the long and short is No:p.
Worm piss is worm piss man ha ha. Compost tea is different I've done that too as you know you get a hessian bag or use an old hop bag or Biab bag holes are a little fine though put your really broken down compost in that. Fill a large bucket with water and dangle that in the bucket for a few days (kinda like the mash step in brewing but extended out a week or two). If you wanna get that microbial growth going you can go grab that air pump out your brew gear and attach hose and run air up through the brew to oxydenate it now after awhile 1 or two weeks you've got another but different home made garden booster! Kinda like home brew well it is "homebrew" just the don't drink it kind :D:D.

Oh yeah I'm that weird Neighbor you catch pissing on his lemon tree LOL!

Got the last part for my site glass yesterday and put things together today....I don't like the float so I gotta work that more but the thing is food grade so I'm OK to "make do" with this.

20191005_192041.jpeg

Got the last part for my site glass yesterday and put things together today....I don't like the float so I gotta work that more but the thing is food grade so I'm OK to "make do" with this.

View attachment 7452
I've found my site glass gets some suction when pumping out just something to keep in mind if moving in that direction down the track to make it air tight lm

I blow on mine from time to time, breaks the bubble that happens
Yeah my pump will actually draw the liquid down out through the sight glass and create cavitation. Atm whilst I transfer to fermentor I plug it with me thumb even tape don't cut it. Gotta find a better solution.:)

eah my pump will actually draw the liquid down out through the sight glass and create cavitation. Atm whilst I transfer to fermentor I plug it with me thumb even tape don't cut it

Hmmmm….I did find that the suck and jump action in the sight glass when you open the ball valve quickly. So are you saying the glass should have a cap Trailben??

Hmmmm….I did find that the suck and jump action in the sight glass when you open the ball valve quickly. So are you saying the glass should have a cap Trailben??
Yup. Mine draws down on the liquid level and when transferring to fermentor will get a air lock In it causing the pump to work not so well. I'm actually seriously thinking of doing away with my sight glass. I'm thinking of doing some level markings instead maybe a 21lt Mark is all i need and maybe a 26lt Mark which seems to be my go to mash in volume.

A nice tidy way to fire hot water into a keg, you can hold it upside down over the laundry tub to rinse as well. Filled it with hot water, and some oxyclean through the out, mixed it up nice. Also fired a bit of hot water in gingerly through the gas post to give it a rinse.
20191119_215912.jpg
20191119_215916.jpg
20191119_220211.jpg

Guess I need an adjustment, steam still came out of the lid at 50% heat setting, any less and it doesn't boil

So I'm guessing the running water through that T piece creates a vacuum that draws the steam in with the water?

Yup, but it depends on the spray pattern of the nozzle, where it hits below the T, input water pressure and somewhat temperature. I have the steam condenser mounted on the kettle via a 1.5" tri clamp and no steam escapes the lid when duty cycle on the 5500 watt element is below 80% or so.

No sorry for the confusion. Because the cover is on when you're boiling you can use a much lower duty cycle on the boil element. On my rig 38% is a very vigorous boil with the cover on. The steam condenser handles that just fine. However, if you raise the duty cycle too high it cannot evacuate all of the steam and it'll pressurize the kettle enough that some steam escapes from the lid.

Back