Show Us Your Gear!

Most of us started somewhere in that range. My initial kit was 5 gal. I made quite a bit of marginally potable beer in that kit....

I am pretty excited so far. Sadly, I think I killed my beer from the start but I do feel as though I learned alot from this happening.

I did add a scale, a siphon and a new thermometer yesterday. Looking at a new burner in the next few days as well.

Dear Lord, I am running the path of a new hobby and having a ton of fun. My wife thinks I am weird because i am reading a book about yeast.

I am pretty excited so far. Sadly, I think I killed my beer from the start but I do feel as though I learned alot from this happening.

I did add a scale, a siphon and a new thermometer yesterday. Looking at a new burner in the next few days as well.

Dear Lord, I am running the path of a new hobby and having a ton of fun. My wife thinks I am weird because i am reading a book about yeast.
lol, I cant count how many books I have read about beer. some were even useful :)

I love the science behind fiid in general. So, anything on ingredients is really interesting to me. My next read will be Water by Palmer and Kaminski. I have been told it is a pretty "dry" read, but again more science.

I love the science behind fiid in general. So, anything on ingredients is really interesting to me. My next read will be Water by Palmer and Kaminski. I have been told it is a pretty "dry" read, but again more science.
What have you read so far? "Water" might be a little too deep a little too quick, if you catch my drift. But glad you're enjoying the journey :D

I have been told it is a pretty "dry" read, but again more science.
I'd think it was kinda wet...

Water for brewing is fascinating science. Just keep in mind that, at least in my limited experience, it's a lot easier than it's made out to be. While a good understanding will help you, malt, yeast and hops have a far greater effect.

I'd think it was kinda wet...

Water for brewing is fascinating science. Just keep in mind that, at least in my limited experience, it's a lot easier than it's made out to be. While a good understanding will help you, malt, yeast and hops have a far greater effect.
Agreed, you can make subtle changes to a recipe with good water manipulation. You can make a really good beer, a great beer. But just using whatever water you have will work too.

Just make sure you get the chlorine out

What have you read so far? "Water" might be a little too deep a little too quick, if you catch my drift. But glad you're enjoying the journey :D
Reading Yeast right now. How to Brew and Simple Homebrewing in the mental locker, or they were as I have a small leak in my information systems. I am a science geek and am looking forward to Water for multiple reasons. One is that I used to be a fly fishing guide. Two, I love to cook and there are recipes that do better with certain waters. Three, water is in beer but I won't be doing a lot of playing with my water unless it is absolutely necessary. The water profile in Aurora is pretty good considering we have multiple craft brewerys that are producing really good beer and the Water Department for Aurora, CO recognizes this.

Reading Yeast right now. How to Brew and Simple Homebrewing in the mental locker, or they were as I have a small leak in my information systems. I am a science geek and am looking forward to Water for multiple reasons. One is that I used to be a fly fishing guide. Two, I love to cook and there are recipes that do better with certain waters. Three, water is in beer but I won't be doing a lot of playing with my water unless it is absolutely necessary. The water profile in Aurora is pretty good considering we have multiple craft brewerys that are producing really good beer and the Water Department for Aurora, CO recognizes this.
Definitely get a water report though. Different beer styles benefit from different water profiles and there's no telling the adjustments that need to be made without a baseline. Glad you are enjoying the hobby. Most importantly, keep it fun. Otherwise, it becomes a job.

Definitely get a water report though. Different beer styles benefit from different water profiles and there's no telling the adjustments that need to be made without a baseline. Glad you are enjoying the hobby. Most importantly, keep it fun. Otherwise, it becomes a job.
Yeah, got the water report from the city site and also working with my local brew club to make sure everything is in order.

Yeah, got the water report from the city site and also working with my local brew club to make sure everything is in order.
Aurora water is pretty darned good.... I went to RO water some time back but had good results brewing with city sources (dechlorinated, of course). Our water makes excellent Ambers with no added salts....
But as a beginner, I'd advise you not to worry too much about the water. It's a low order contributor to flavor. Sanitation and ingredients contribute far more to your beer.

Aurora water is pretty darned good.... I went to RO water some time back but had good results brewing with city sources (dechlorinated, of course). Our water makes excellent Ambers with no added salts....
But as a beginner, I'd advise you not to worry too much about the water. It's a low order contributor to flavor. Sanitation and ingredients contribute far more to your beer.
Yeah, I think the Water book is more for knowledge more than tweaking chemistry initially. I feel the more I learn now the more I will understand my successes and failures.

Back