Show us your boil

Using a 5 gallon round rubbermaid cooler from the Depot. It's the cheapest model, which is probably also contributing to my temperature problem. I'm currently doing 1.5 qts/lbs grist with a 3 lb grain bill so that I have room to add infusions to bring up the temp, and still have the ability to sparge.

Thanks for everyone's insight :) I think a thinner mash would be a good starting point, once I can hold the mash temp in the 150s (F) for at least 30 mins.

Using a 5 gallon round rubbermaid cooler from the Depot. It's the cheapest model, which is probably also contributing to my temperature problem. I'm currently doing 1.5 qts/lbs grist with a 3 lb grain bill so that I have room to add infusions to bring up the temp, and still have the ability to sparge.

Thanks for everyone's insight :) I think a thinner mash would be a good starting point, once I can hold the mash temp in the 150s (F) for at least 30 mins.

Between the cheapo cooler and the relatively small volume, I can see why you're having a problem holding temperature.

Yeah you probably need to start out a lot hotter with your strike water.

foto of the boil of the Imp Blonde Ale that I just put into the fermenter...... Summer is starting good.. have 130 liters fermenting, 3 fermenters going. Will bottle my Imperial Stout in a few days.
IMG_2375w.jpg

You must be near done with the Chiller In
Yes sir, near done.... I put chiller in 15 min before end of boil. I always crank the heat prior to inserting the chiller to maintain the boil. I have a big gas burner, and a bigger gas burner under each pot. The big one maintains a very good boil at 70 percent valve open... the bigger one really boils it hard. No automation, just finger control and watching the boils :D and I am almost always near 2 inches from top of pot.... so, yes had some boilovers as well.

Yes sir, near done.... I put chiller in 15 min before end of boil. I always crank the heat prior to inserting the chiller to maintain the boil. I have a big gas burner, and a bigger gas burner under each pot. The big one maintains a very good boil at 70 percent valve open... the bigger one really boils it hard. No automation, just finger control and watching the boils :D and I am almost always near 2 inches from top of pot.... so, yes had some boilovers as well.
Ah I do exactly the same chiller in at 15 to go crank elements full bore ahead:D. I see it like this in at 15 kills the boil for a few mins then it gets a good 10mins at the end.
I was boiling with 3300watt of uncontrolled power yesterday it was quite vigerous too.
Keglands 4000watt power controller couldnt handle the heat kept tripping on me so I just let her go baby!

I'm thinking if buying the EZ boil pid from over the States but that's next years job;).

I remember watching Captain Kangaroo, Sherriff John ,Felix the Cat and the rest...

this was taken in Sedona. Actually from the Midwest. Terre Haute, Indiana

Sedona is great, but so are the pork tenderloin sandwiches in Indiana :) One of my pervious jobs included an annual sales meeting in Lebanon, where I ate them for breakfast, lunch and supper.

I lived in Vincennes for about five years. I miss that area.

Back