Second Brew Day

I wouldn’t think so? This is only the second brew I’ve ever used it on.

Could it be a low battery in the Tilt?
I don't think so. As the fermentation goes on, the movement within the liquid affects the readings and they _always_ bounce around a bit, until they don't. @Yontsey don't put much stock into the absolute readings, especially at the end of fermentation, as in my experience they are 100% wrong, every time. That being said, when the gravity stops changing, it stops suddenly: The beer is fermented. Give the yeast another 3-4 days to clean things up, then go ahead and package it (or start a cold crash, if you wish / can / need), as it's done done.

It’s pretty much stabilized at 1.011-12 but bounces a little here and there. I *think* it’s done but not sure. Was planning to keg tomorrow but we’ll see.

It’s pretty much stabilized at 1.011-12 but bounces a little here and there. I *think* it’s done but not sure. Was planning to keg tomorrow but we’ll see.
If you can, give it a little more time, maybe until next Saturday.

BUT, it might not make any difference at all, and you'll get to drink it sooner. I am leaning towards the 'yeah, it's fine' side, but if you have the time... Whatever you decide, let us know what happens!

You didn't ask, but I'm a gonna tell you anyway:

At first, yeast in fresh wort needs to wake up and start to eat the sugars. It needs Oxygen for this stage (dry yeast has it already), which lasts just a few hours. Then, in a wild orgy of yeast sex, fermentation and cell multiplication begins and roars through all that sugar. The wort even warms up a bit since there is so much activity, and if you have a clear fermenter it's a bit like watching the clothes dryer, there is a lot of movement in there. But, like all good things, the sugar comes to an end, and the gravity stabilizes. With a tilt, it stops getting bounced around. But the yeasties are not yet done! They have stopped producing alcohol, but they are now eating and converting many of the various waste by-products they generated during alcohol production, many of which have a specific "off-flavor". This phase lasts 2-6 days, depending on the yeast, but almost all is done by day 3. So even though the alcohol is done, the yeast isn't. This last part is called a D-Rest, where the Diacetyl gets converted into something less obnoxious. The effect is absolutely taste-able, but subtle.

I’m gonna give it a couple extra days to stabilize. Is the hops from dry hopping going to cause any issues for staying in extra time?

I’m gonna give it a couple extra days to stabilize. Is the hops from dry hopping going to cause any issues for staying in extra time?
No. It can stay for weeks at least, possibly months.

only thing you want to be very conscience of is oxygen. oxidizing the beer, even a little, will make all your hard work of dry hopping for nothing. hops are actually a preservative, so it will help the beer keep longer.

that it actually where the IPA came from in the first place :p

I try and be very careful about oxygen (except when I forget part of the air lock, smh) but it's hard with the brew bucket I'm using and DDHing. First batch came out pretty good. Hopefully, this next round of kegging goes better than the first. The tube inside to the spout I turned to the side instead of straight down so it doesn't get clogged with so much junk and debris.

I'm planning to keg Thursday or Friday. Wife is going out of town today for a couple days for work and gets back Thursday. I could probably do it by myself but it's easier with an extra set of hands. She enjoys the process too so it's nice to do it together. Especially when you pour those first good beers on the patio.

Kegged it up tonight. Got a FG of 1.015-16. Puts me around 7.22-35%. Taste and nose are awesome. Turning the spout this time made for a much better kegging. Hooked it up at 30psi and will turn it down to 12 tomorrow. Really excited about this one.

IMG_1801.jpg
IMG_1802.jpg

Kegged it up tonight. Got a FG of 1.015-16. Puts me around 7.22-35%. Taste and nose are awesome. Turning the spout this time made for a much better kegging. Hooked it up at 30psi and will turn it down to 12 tomorrow. Really excited about this one.
Wish I was near by to have a taste!

So fuck my life. It’s been one of those days. I went in and turned it down from 30psi to 12 and beer spewed from the release valve. I can’t get anything out of the corny. I dunno if the tube is clogged or what. I’ve fucked with it for like an hour. Suggestions?

So fuck my life. It’s been one of those days. I went in and turned it down from 30psi to 12 and beer spewed from the release valve. I can’t get anything out of the corny. I dunno if the tube is clogged or what. I’ve fucked with it for like an hour. Suggestions?
stick the gas line on the liquid post. it will go kinda hard, but it will go. then open the PRV and let out the pressure. the pressure in the liquid line should clear the dip tube.

then put it all back to normal.

sweet! you owe me a beer :p

Back