Second Brew Day

Yontsey

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Getting prepped for my second ever brew session later on this morning. First one (with help from the community) came out great. Learned so much on that first batch. Doing another Hazy IPA. I have my Grainfather all set up and cleaned and the recipe entered on there ready to rock. Doing all grain and going to mill.

- 10lb 2-Row
- 1lb Rice Hulls
- 1lb Flaked Oats
- 1lb Flaked Wheat
- 1lb White Wheat
- 1lb Oat Malt
- 4oz Acidulated
- 1lb Dextrose last 10-15min of boil

Wyeast 1318 London Ale III

- 1oz Citra last 15min Boil
- 1oz Cashmere, 1oz Sabro - Whirlpool 30 min
- 2oz Sabro Dry Hop on day 2/3
- 2oz Sabro, 1oz Citra, 1oz Mosaic Second round DDH on day 5-7

Will be monitoring everything via Tilt with a Pi setup.

Going off my last batch, fermentation takes about 3-4 days. Total time about 10 days, then will keg and carb. Last time I took the low and slow approach and after 5 days didn't have much action so this time I'll probably force carb at 30-35 for 24 hours and then dial back to 12.

Cheers!

Looks good, man! Pretty much how i do it.

Will 15lbs of grain fit in that thing?

Looks good, man! Pretty much how i do it.

Will 15lbs of grain fit in that thing?
Brew session went great. 15lbs plus rice hulls was a tough stir but we got it done. Was literally like oatmeal at first but it came out great. Initial SG was 1.071-70 from my Tilt. I’ll probably keg it on Memorial Day. Figure it’ll be ready by June 1st.

Brew session went great. 15lbs plus rice hulls was a tough stir but we got it done. Was literally like oatmeal at first but it came out great. Initial SG was 1.071-70 from my Tilt. I’ll probably keg it on Memorial Day. Figure it’ll be ready by June 1st.
I can imagine. I did 18+ lbs in my 7 gallon biab setup. Never again, lol. Had to stir it constantly to keep the recirc going.

Bahhhh. Just noticed I was missing that cap part on my airlock. Caught it and popped it in there. It’s fermenting so I should be ok. Fingers crossed.

I have two SS Brew fermenters and I had the airlock on the other one and just grabbed it assuming everything was all ready to rock. It’s bubbling like crazy so I’m optimistic.

Last edited:
Depends on your type of airlock, but generally the cap is there to lower evaporation...
Unless you are talking about something like the Speidel airlock.
Then it is a necessity.
But still not during active fermentation.
You are good :)

Yeah not the cap cap per se, but the part that goes over the air tube that floats. My assumption is the active fermentation will push oxygen out so it should be ok.

Y
Yeah not the cap cap per se, but the part that goes over the air tube that floats. My assumption is the active fermentation will push oxygen out so it should be ok.
Yes you are fine. You caught it in time!
Sounds like a speidel airlock lookalike

Bahhhh. Just noticed I was missing that cap part on my airlock. Caught it and popped it in there. It’s fermenting so I should be ok. Fingers crossed.

I have two SS Brew fermenters and I had the airlock on the other one and just grabbed it assuming everything was all ready to rock. It’s bubbling like crazy so I’m optimistic.
Should be fine. Positive pressure will keep out most things

I agree, you are fine.
What is your expected FG?

That's a good question. The brew sheet I got doesn't say. SG was 1.070-75. Estimated % is 7.8 so I'd say around 1.010-11 ballpark? SG for me was 1.071-70 and I'm at 1.041 right now.

That's a good question. The brew sheet I got doesn't say. SG was 1.070-75. Estimated % is 7.8 so I'd say around 1.010-11 ballpark? SG for me was 1.071-70 and I'm at 1.041 right now.
1318 says it has an attenuation of 70-74% so it you started @ 1.070, you would finish around 1.019

Just did my first round of DDH. Dumped in 2oz of Sabro. I'll do the second round on Friday. That will be 2oz of Sabro, 1oz of Citra, 1oz Mosaic. Gravity is sitting around 1.023. Fermentation is still going but very slowly. Would like to see it tick down a little more. From my limited experience with my first brew session DDHing, I saw a tick down after my first round of DDH so we'll see what happens.

Just did my first round of DDH. Dumped in 2oz of Sabro. I'll do the second round on Friday. That will be 2oz of Sabro, 1oz of Citra, 1oz Mosaic. Gravity is sitting around 1.023. Fermentation is still going but very slowly. Would like to see it tick down a little more. From my limited experience with my first brew session DDHing, I saw a tick down after my first round of DDH so we'll see what happens.
Don't forget, even if it slows down now. Once you add all those hops, hop creep will get it going again

Yeah that’s what I noticed on my first go around. After I added them, there was a pretty sharp drop that day. Airlock is still slowly bubbling too. There wasn’t much krausen that I noticed when I popped the lid to add the hops. I know it got big at one point because I had some spill out the airlock.

The one thing I dislike about just using the brew bucket is lack of temperature control.

Yeah that’s what I noticed on my first go around. After I added them, there was a pretty sharp drop that day. Airlock is still slowly bubbling too. There wasn’t much krausen that I noticed when I popped the lid to add the hops. I know it got big at one point because I had some spill out the airlock.

The one thing I dislike about just using the brew bucket is lack of temperature control.
If you don't need/want the extra fermentation. Adding the hops after primarily fermentation is done, while cold crashing can keep the lupids in the hops from restarting it (at least as quickly) . Also adding potassium bi-mega sulfate will pretty much kill the yeast.

You can, with some modification.

20210408_125638.jpg

20221223_131225.jpg

Buy a stainless submersible cooler. Bulkhead, drill. Not difficult.

I use these bulkheads. Very tough and come with silicon seals on both sides

Horiznext Stainless Steel npt 1/2 Weldless Bulkhead Fitting for Beer Wine brewing kettle https://a.co/d/2zf5VKo

Mollom (1''|25.5mm) Heavy Duty Carbide Hole Saw with 2 Pilot Drill Bits, Hole Cutter cuts Stainless Steel, mild Steel, Iron, Copper, Brass, Plastic https://a.co/d/521Wr6j

Rierdge 24 Pack 1/2"NPT Cable Glands Waterproof Connectors, Adjustable 6-12mm Cable IP68 Waterproof Nylon Joints with Gaskets https://a.co/d/cQYh5hT

That looks like a great option. I’m going to look into that. Tank temp went up way higher than last time. 77-76° even tho the house AC is set to 70°. Not sure if that’s what caused the issue, but seems like I’m at a fermentation stall right now below what the FG should be at.

That looks like a great option. I’m going to look into that. Tank temp went up way higher than last time. 77-76° even tho the house AC is set to 70°. Not sure if that’s what caused the issue, but seems like I’m at a fermentation stall right now below what the FG should be at.
Fermentation can raise temp quite a bit if it vigorous. 10F is not uncommon. My system sits between 18-25% cooling when fermentation is going to regulate temp. Once it is over, it will go below 5%. This is set for 68F with an ambient temp of 72F

Also possible that it is done. Mash temp and ph will have an effect on fermentability of the wort. If you need it lower, your hop additions may work in your favor.

It was still bubbling in the airlock, albeit slower, this morning when I checked. It's down to 74˚ in the last hour. Ticked down to 1.024. So maybe it's still going, just slower. Either way, it smells fantastic. Will do the second round of dry hopping Friday, then do a test pull and gravity check in the hydrometer float to check against the Tilt and keg. I'm sure it'll still turn out tasty.

Got down to 1.019 overnight holding at 73˚. I think where I dropped the ball is I should've used 2 packets of liquid yeast with an SG of 1.071.

Back