Second Brew Day

Got down to 1.019 overnight holding at 73˚. I think where I dropped the ball is I should've used 2 packets of liquid yeast with an SG of 1.071.
That is kinda on the line. I wouldn't have as long as a starter was made. Slight under pitch will increase lag time, but it will still go. Once it gets going, it doesn't matter, the yeast will multiply in the wort.

What was your mash temp?

I brought up to 158-160 before I dumped the grain but then I brought it down to 152. I was taught to pre-heat it a little higher to offset the temp drop when you dump the grain.

I brought up to 158-160 before I dumped the grain but then I brought it down to 152. I was taught to pre-heat it a little higher to offset the temp drop when you dump the grain.
Ya, pre-heating is normal.

Its 152+ is going to be a more dextrinous, which will be less fermentable. Gluco-amylase dies around 148F. If you want a dryer, more fully fermented wort, keep around 148F. Higher temps arent bad, but will give you some residual sugar

Great to known everything I’ve seen kit recipe instructions wise usually has 152-54 mash temp.

Great to known everything I’ve seen kit recipe instructions wise usually has 152-54 mash temp.
Depends on the style. If you want a sweet finish, like dunkle or stout. You want to mash higher. Some ipa have a sweet component, but a nice dry finish is nice too, then mash lower.

Got down to 1.019 overnight holding at 73˚. I think where I dropped the ball is I should've used 2 packets of liquid yeast with an SG of 1.071.
If the yeast was a month or two old I think one pack would be close enough to be fine. With yeast pitch rates, you just need to be in the ballpark (or on the pitch). Now if the yeast was 3+ months old then I would definitely have made a starter or used a second pack for a 1.071 SG, 5-gallon batch.

IMG_1755.png
Had a crazy drop after doing my second round of dry hopping this AM. Any reason for concern?

View attachment 29480Had a crazy drop after doing my second round of dry hopping this AM. Any reason for concern?
This was from a tilt? Test it against a hydrometer. Tilts are great, i have 2 of em. But they're are not terribly accurate.

How many oz of hops was the second round? Hop creep is a real thing, lol. This is why i said, i wouldn't be concerned with the highish end gravity if you were adding more hops.

Yeah it’s from a Tilt. I was going to do a hydrometer float reading this weekend to measure against it. I added 4oz of hops this morning about 5 hours ago.

Yeah it’s from a Tilt. I was going to do a hydrometer float reading this weekend to measure against it. I added 4oz of hops this morning about 5 hours ago.
With a tilt, it also possible you knocked some gunk off of it when added the hops. I would be real surprised if it is truly 1.002. That is crazy dry

It sat around 1.016 +/- all day yesterday

Are you fermenting under pressure? I recently watched a You Tube video where the guy mentioned the same thing you are seeing. He came to the conclusion that carbonation was affecting the gravity readings from his Tilt.

No it’s just a SS Brew Bucket. It’s bumped back up to 1.006-8

Are you fermenting under pressure? I recently watched a You Tube video where the guy mentioned the same thing you are seeing. He came to the conclusion that carbonation was affecting the gravity readings from his Tilt.
if the beer carbonates, it absoluetly effects the tilt. I can confirm that from my own experience.

These numbers are all over the place right now. Logging every 15 minutes, it'll go from 1.007 to 1.004 to 1.002 to 1.008 to 1.006 to 1.002, ect ect. We'll see if it calms down. Like you guys mentioned, I wonder if something is gunked up on the Tilt.

These numbers are all over the place right now. Logging every 15 minutes, it'll go from 1.007 to 1.004 to 1.002 to 1.008 to 1.006 to 1.002, ect ect. We'll see if it calms down. Like you guys mentioned, I wonder if something is gunked up on the Tilt.
i have found that at the extreme low end, tilt is not really consistant.

mostly I use it for trneding more than actualy lab quality stats

Don't believe the numbers from a tilt. Just watch for when the numbers stop changing.

This morning it has went back up to 1.010-1.013, in that area. It's still bouncing around between ever 15min reading though. I was hoping it would've stabilized more at this point.

Could it be a low battery in the Tilt?

Back