Rushmore IPA - Cold Crashing?

Cold crash is almost always a good thing to do. It's not always strictly necessary but, depending on the flocc'ing capacity of the yeast, it's usually desirable. I personally like old-school IPAs that are nice and clear and crisp.
There seems to be a fashion now for the hazy, late-hopped New England style, but when I get a clear, clean beer with good malt backbone, good body, crisp finish and big hoppy aroma and flavor with balanced bitterness, I'm a happy camper. :)

If cold crashing is required, I'm doing everything wrong. Not part of my process.

My 2c since buying the freezer and finally being able to cold crash it just speeds up the clearing process where I might have taken one or two weeks for bright beer I get it sooner like 5 days from Kegging she's nice and bright.

Reactions: J A
Definitely cold crash. Even if you use a some sort of muslin bag to dry hop, fine hop particles make there way into the beer and cold crashing will drop them out of suspension. You can speed things up by adding a gelatin treatment once it gets close to 32F. I believe it improves the overall quality of the beer when it's crashed and cleared. I'm like JA, I like them clear and brilliant.

Back