Recomended yeast for my very first Lager.

Aerating wort is very common no matter what yeast. I don't know what part of their wesite you found that info on but I've never read or heard of anything that indicated the lack of need for oxygen in the wort.
It's not that it needs to be low oxygen in the wort, it's that dehydrated yeast doesn't need as much oxygen due to "nutrient reserves" and can replicate just fine with very low levels of oxygen.

If, on the other hand, you make a starter with dry yeast, you will need to aerate the wort to 8-12ppm of oxygen. That's why dry yeast manufacturers do not recommend making starters with their yeast, once it starts to replicate, all it's "nutrient reserves" are used in the starter. Now it needs oxygen for lipid synthesis.

t's not that it needs to be low oxygen in the wort, it's that dehydrated yeast doesn't need as much oxygen due to "nutrient reserves" and can replicate just fine with very low levels of oxygen.
That would make a very specific and interesting brew-off comparison. Split batch with half aerated with O2 and half without, each pitched with a packet of dry yeast. I doubt that you'd see much difference in the beer but I'd be very interested to see differences in lag time, total fermentation time, attenuation, etc.
Next time I'm building pitches for big batches, I'll split a 10 and see how it goes. For now, I'll keep hitting it with O2, even on a first pitch with dry yeast.

Aerating wort is very common no matter what yeast. I don't know what part of their wesite you found that info on but I've never read or heard of anything that indicated the lack of need for oxygen in the wort. Fermentis makes a lot of claims about their process, so who knows. Their pitching rates are relatively high, but yeast is still going to reproduce. It is possible to over oxygenate using pure O2 but that doesn't seem to be the reference.
As for rehydration, the site gives directions for both methods.
Whatever you've been doing with dry ale yeast, do it with dry lager yeast...just pitch twice as much and pitch cooler. ;)
fermentis.jpg

Okay, I'm not trying to open the rehydration can of worms. Sprinkle your yeast if you will. What I'm trying to decide is whether the OP mixed aeration up with hydration - he said the yeast said not to aerate and that makes no sense at all. I can't find a reference that says not to aerate the yeast, in fact, most say to aerate well. Fermentis' data sheet for s-23: https://fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/SafLager-S-23.pdf.
And for reference, I don't care whether you do or don't either way. You're posting in a beginner forum, I assume you're asking for help. I'm trying to provide it. And since I will likely never drink your beer, I don't care about your outcome, either.

Attachments

• fermentis.jpg
    fermentis.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 76
This is why dry yeast is recommended for beginners, they contain more yeast per package and they tolerate low oxygen conditions. Liquid yeast do require more oxygen for sure and the novice brewers need to change their methods once they transition into the liquid yeast world.

Okay then, don't aerate. Any yeast will tolerate low oxygen, it just won't perform the same as properly aerated. Shaking the carboy, you're aerating to somewhere at or below 5 ppm O2. I shoot for 8 ppm to 10 ppm using pure O2 and a beer stone for worts less than 1.060. Regardless of the yeast I use. It's your beer, if you're happy with the results not aerating, don't aerate.

Okay then, don't aerate. ... It's your beer, if you're happy with the results not aerating, don't aerate.
I alway aerate with liquid yeast. And with few exceptions with dry as well. I was only trying to come to terms with the contradicting info from their website and what many homebrewers were insisting.

I think Fermentis sort of "dumbs down" the process in order to avoid intimidating inexperienced brewers. Like Nosy says, most any yeast should perform better in an aerated wort.

Nosy, you're coming off as defensive, just FYI.

I did not know that about dry yeast, interesting. I'm pretty half assed about aeration as I just let it aerate as it fills the carboy and so far not a single dumper in 18 months. Of course now I will have one, but meh.

Back