Recipe for Critique

So if I plan to brew after work Friday evening, should I start the starter early Friday morning, say 6:30, or 7am? I would expect to be ready to pitch around 8 or 8:30pm.

Yes this is what I would do.

An interesting read but I saw lots of magical thinking there.... Same time to start the fermentation as a conventional stir plate starter, no information on outcomes....

Later on in that thread as well as in several other threads there are reports on outcomes from several people who have adopted the method and even use it with 1 smack pack on lagers. To each there own but the more material I've read the more I'm convinced it's at least as good if not better than stir plate starters. But such is the joy of brewing - doing what works best for you :)

Looks promising bud, my only useful input is you can use a 2L growler for a yeast starter too, just put a foil lid on the top and swirl it around every couple hours the day before you brew.

Yes this is what I would do.

Later on in that thread as well as in several other threads there are reports on outcomes from several people who have adopted the method and even use it with 1 smack pack on lagers. To each there own but the more material I've read the more I'm convinced it's at least as good if not better than stir plate starters. But such is the joy of brewing - doing what works best for you :)
Agreed.

I really, really appreciate all of the advice and input, thank you all so much. I just entered into this hobby this past February and each batch I have made has been better than the last. My last batch blew my friends socks off! A couple of buddies that I don't see vary often didn't believe that I made it.

A huge thank you to all for the support

Congrats buddeh. You'll get more comfortable and get a better feel the more you do it. I'm getting into the dangerously cocky stage where I'm starting to eyeball things so I'm headed for a bad batch or two at some point.

Got the starter going as the gang arrives for our AA meeting, ended up getting Omega Yeast Labs English Ale, liquid yeast. One of my buddies use to brew years ago, he brought me about 2.5lbs of hops, pound of Cascade, pound of Northern Brewer, some fuggles, and some nugget, all in vacuum packs, except for the cascade, that is in a mason jar

Congrats buddeh. You'll get more comfortable and get a better feel the more you do it. I'm getting into the dangerously cocky stage where I'm starting to eyeball things so I'm headed for a bad batch or two at some point.
Cheers! Where are you, Western Canada?

Edmonton. You probably won't get full strength from old hops but hey, free hops.

I'm trying to talk my wife into getting me a Jaded Hydra for my birthday.

Had a look at that. I made my own chiller before my second batch, my first all grain BIAB batch. It would actually be pretty easy to make something similar.

Probably but I broke the copper tubing the first one I tried making, and building something like that just doesn't interest me.

I used some yeast nutrient in my starter, should I also add more yeast nutrient when I am pitching into the wort?

I've never used yeast nutrient in beer period, so up to you really.

I used some yeast nutrient in my starter, should I also add more yeast nutrient when I am pitching into the wort?

I don't think you'd need to. I've heard there really isn't any need for nutrient at all unless you're reusing yeast, brewing high grav, and/or making cider or mead.

It is in the fermenter now, OG was very low, 1.051, it was supposed to be 1.061. I had some wort drained off the bag that I didn't add as I did not get the expected boil off. I probably should have let it boil a while longer, so I will take the advice given to so many, so many times, it will be beer, RDWAHAHB, yes guy!

So, it has been in the fermenter for 2 weeks less a day, there is still krauzen on top, there is still visible yeast activity in the wort, and there is still air lock activity. I still need to dry hop for 3ish days, then cold crash for a few days before bottling. As I am leaving Monday for a weeks vacation, I will have to leave this sitting until I get back.

It seems odd though that fermentation is still active. The yeast is the Omega Yeast Labs British Ale V.

Any reason to be concerned or should I just continue to ignore it and let it do its thing?

TIA
Craigerrr

I wouldn;t be concerned about it.

Update
I bottled this a little over a week ago. To recap, gravity was 10 points low at 1051, ABV ended up at approximately 5.4%.
Put a couple in the fridge this morning in order to perform a QC check tonight. Tastes real nice, a very full flavour for a 5.4% beer, maybe a little maltier than I would like for the style. Well carbed after about 8 days bottle conditioning, very enjoyable, I quite like it!

Back