Random Photos.

Spring is in the air!
1712572548754.png

@Sunfire96 thus is them plastic wine kegs I was talking about with the bag in. Key kegs I think you were talking about the same thing with the sanke fittings?
20240409_063443.jpg

That's Chardonnay on left

Last edited:
Solar Eclipse 2024!
About an hour south of us it got a lot darker than it did here, but it was pretty dark! It was like having dark sunglasses on, but you didn't...
My camera didn't capture it very well as it automatically adjusts in low light, but if you look close you can see that it was dark enough for the street lights, and the neighbors solar lights to come on.
20240408_151844.jpg

The second lens in the camera seemed to pick up the eclipse a bit too.
20240408_151809.jpg

20240408_151427.jpg

@Craigerrr, how close were you to the total eclipse path? Looks like you were pretty close. We were at 90% coverage. It was amazing how bright it still was with only 10% of the sun showing. It did get dim, but not dark. It got windy and the temperature dropped. I had forgotten about that part of a solar eclipse. Science and nature are pretty cool.

The best way I can describe it is, it was like you had your sunglasses on, and it was overcast and you wanted to take them off. Probably similar to you, didn't get dark, but it was eerie. My brother the astronomy nut went to somewhere in Quebec, looking forward to seeing his telescope view pictures.

We had a full solar eclipse long time back.
I remember it felt eerie, spooky
All birds stops singing, everything got very quiet

...actually brewing related, but just figured I would post here as a "hey, look at this"
20240410_184804.jpg

fwiw, anyone who said CaraAroma is good for a red color is absolutely correct!
Taste-wise I will be dialing it back bit next time, but my goal of a dark red beer has been achieved 110% :cool:
There is also a lot of Red X involved, but the CaraAroma is definitely the kicker: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1427970/2023-11a-doppelbock-1-real-d-
...I am not happy with the attenuation and the "toastieness" is still a bit too much, so next try will be w/ a bit less CaraAroma and a bottom fermenting yeast.

Last edited:
...actually brewing related, but just figured I would post here as a "hey, look at this"
View attachment 29049
fwiw, anyone who said CaraAroma is good for a red color is absolutely correct!
Taste-wise I will be dialing it back bit next time, but my goal of a dark red beer has been achieved 110% :cool:
There is also a lot of Red X involved, but the CaraAroma is definitely the kicker: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1427970/2023-11a-doppelbock-1-real-d-
...I am not happy with the attenuation and the "toastieness" is still a bit too much, so next try will be w/ a bit less CaraAroma and a bottom fermenting yeast.
Looks great!

Went to look at the moon with the littlie the other night and thought oh we'll have a look at the chooks this massive Carpet Python was getting ready for dinner :oops:
20240419_192617.jpg

this is my second run in with this snake in as many weeks it is big and Strong!
20240419_192733.jpg

this is it making for the Exit a hole in my fence it's now plugged up!
fingers crossed anyhow.

my daughter was going Be Carefull Daddy lol yeah Darling I was Shitting bricks lol!

this Ibis have moved camp from in the bush near my place so I guess this fella is getting hungry...

Yeah, those snakes are strong!
Couple of years ago I had to move a 2.2 mtr one out of the way. Was quite a fight!
What type of python is that?

Went to look at the moon with the littlie the other night and thought oh we'll have a look at the chooks this massive Carpet Python was getting ready for dinner :oops: View attachment 29149
this is my second run in with this snake in as many weeks it is big and Strong!View attachment 29150
fingers crossed anyhow.

my daughter was going Be Carefull Daddy lol yeah Darling I was Shitting bricks lol!

this Ibis have moved camp from in the bush near my place so I guess this fella is getting hungry...
I guess their danger is not a venomous bite, but either a bite (ow!) or a strong squeeeze?

Yeah, those snakes are strong!
Couple of years ago I had to move a 2.2 mtr one out of the way. Was quite a fight!
What type of python is that?
oh yeah first time it was in there I went all Steve Irwin on it lol grabbed "her I guess" by the tail and didn't budge it an inch pulling with all my might.

it's a Carpet Python.

wife said I'm not allowed to kill it after severing one a bit smaller back when the chick's were a bit younger.

anyhow I spent the day trying in vain to snake proof the pen.

I just hope the cold weather comes quickly to slow it down...

Yeah, we try not to kill them either...
I had a guy working with me who loved snakes, so he would catch them and then we relocated them to a downstream island. Obviously, the 2 of us have been calling it "snake island" ever since

was out the back taking photos of my Stingless bee hive when I feel this biting on my right leg!

well it was this little Fella
20240423_105800.jpg

another one of our Cool little reptiles here in Australia the Blue Tounge Lizard.
oh man I feel so bad I stepped on the back end of him/her
20240423_105807.jpg

see the back end is a bit flattened.

as you see the head end looks like a snake! these little fella will waltz right Into your house if you leave the door open.

I've personally had many in my house years ago down on the beach. I didn't know they occurred in the hinterland where I live awesome!

they eat other snakes and such so their great to have around I just hope I didn't hurt it too much... :(

oh here's my stingless bee hive I added another hive on the front.
I'm hoping they will build some new hive material in that front hive.
this is a more gentle way of splitting the hive less casualties this way.
20240423_105843.jpg

that old hive is rotting out at the back so want to try and get some going in this new hive hopefully next spring I'll be able to detach it from the mother hive.

20240423_105900.jpg

gunna focus on this hobby a little more now...;)

Went to look at the moon with the littlie the other night and thought oh we'll have a look at the chooks this massive Carpet Python was getting ready for dinner :oops: View attachment 29149
this is my second run in with this snake in as many weeks it is big and Strong!View attachment 29150
fingers crossed anyhow.

my youngest kids had a snake farm for a couple of years, also raised mice for food, turned out to be a pipe dream then stopped

was out the back taking photos of my Stingless bee hive when I feel this biting on my right leg!

well it was this little FellaView attachment 29165
another one of our Cool little reptiles here in Australia the Blue Tounge Lizard.
oh man I feel so bad I stepped on the back end of him/herView attachment 29166
see the back end is a bit flattened.

as you see the head end looks like a snake! these little fella will waltz right Into your house if you leave the door open.

I've personally had many in my house years ago down on the beach. I didn't know they occurred in the hinterland where I live awesome!

they eat other snakes and such so their great to have around I just hope I didn't hurt it too much... :(

oh here's my stingless bee hive I added another hive on the front.
I'm hoping they will build some new hive material in that front hive.
this is a more gentle way of splitting the hive less casualties this way.View attachment 29167
that old hive is rotting out at the back so want to try and get some going in this new hive hopefully next spring I'll be able to detach it from the mother hive.

View attachment 29168
gunna focus on this hobby a little more now...;)
Cool Ben!
Sounds like a good title for a thread "Stingless Bees by Ben"

On one of the first Zoom calls, Ben shared the bees with us. They are smallish, like houseflies, and produce only a little honey. But, as pollinators, they are very beneficial for hundreds of meters around the hive.

Maybe your blue-tongue lizard will get that big python??

Back