Random Photos.

Ah, an old Morris converted to a truck. Sweet!

Not so fond of the snake though.
20230228_133831.jpg

See its got the old crank handle.

He had another old car in there but we didn't get around to looking at that it was under covers.

All them posts in the shed mostly been chewed out by termites...

What's the snow pack looking like up there this year? Anything like your old state?
Snow in the Cascades is in pretty good shape, but not as robust as the Sierra Nevada. The weather pattern for Eugene looks wet and cold for the next couple weeks. We have averaged a little over 3 inches of rain per month since October 1, but that is below average. We have some catching up to do, as right now we’re considered to be in drought. But the hills just above our home, with a north aspect, are covered in snow. This morning the conifers up there were draped in snow.
Speaking with my dad in SoCal, he says it just keeps coming, there needs to be a break to dry out. It seems it goes from not enough to too much.

Today's travels catching the barge back from Noosa North Shore.
20230301_142820.jpg

A rare trip here on Aus not too many rivers where you gotta catch a barge over.

The Daintree River up Cairns way and the one up Cape York over the Jardine River is two others I've done in Australia.

20230301_142820.jpg

How about you guys in other countries.
Any in the US or Canada how about you @Zambezi Special any over that mighty river...

Yeah, we still got ferries, although most are being changed over to bridges.
Crossing the Zambezi is mainly by bridge now. Up to a couple years ago, one of the main commercial border posts at Kazungula, was still by ferry. That could cause long waiting times.
A lot of the smaller rivers have ferries, or nothing. You drive through the riverbed if it is dry, take your chances at the beginning of the rains and find another route in the wet season ;)

Yeah, we still got ferries, although most are being changed over to bridges.
Crossing the Zambezi is mainly by bridge now. Up to a couple years ago, one of the main commercial border posts at Kazungula, was still by ferry. That could cause long waiting times.
A lot of the smaller rivers have ferries, or nothing. You drive through the riverbed if it is dry, take your chances at the beginning of the rains and find another route in the wet season ;)
Cool yeah the line up for the Noosa North Shore ferry can be a nightmare come holiday season around Easter or any school holidays you can easily wait an hour to get on the barge.

There is beach driving access and camping all the way North up the beach here to Rainbow Beach then oh another Ferry over to Fraser Island or then you can beach drive all the way up K'gari which is the world's largest Sand Islands Aboriginal name.

Today's travels catching the barge back from Noosa North Shore.View attachment 24431

The Daintree River up Cairns way and the one up Cape York over the Jardine River is two others I've done in Australia.

View attachment 24431
Any in the US or Canada how about you @Zambezi Special any over that mighty river...
Have taken a few in the US. Here is my favorite - been operating since 1769. https://portal.ct.gov/DOT/Traveler/ferries/Chester-Hadlyme-Ferry

I too have taken a couple but it has been a while. East coast area on the outer banks come to mind.

Last edited:
Another fun ferry trip we took by motorcycle was Glace Bay , ( or Sydney) , Nova Scotia to Channel Bay, Newfoundland. Then later return to Maine, USA.

There is a ferry in Southern California that crosses Newport Harbor, connecting the Balboa Peninsula to the mainland. That is the only ferry ride I have ever taken.

Any in the US or Canada
Plenty, but way far outnumbered by bridges. Going back 100, 150, 200 years it was almost all ferries, but as you imagine as more people were about the ferry couldn't keep up with the traffic.

Here in ATL a lot of roads are named for where they lead (or used to lead): Nesbit Ferry Road, Johnson Ferry Road, McGinnis Ferry Road... That would be across the Chattahoochee River, which is perhaps 40-50 meters wide mostly around here. Now there's bridges, no ferrys anymore, but as expected there are only so many, so you might have to travel a little bit to get over the river on a bridge.

Ferries in the Northeast are only financially viable if they save a lot of driving. So there is the Bridgeport (CT) - Port Jefferson (NY) ferry across Long Island Sound, I guess about 20 miles, but saves around 100 miles of driving...and the ferry drops you a few meters from the rail station that goes into New York City. And, similarly, the Cape May (NJ) - Lewes (DE) ferry, also about 20 miles, but saves 170 miles or so.

Lately, if you ever visit New York City, hop a ride on the Staten Island Ferry. Outside rush hour, it is pleasant and uncrowded, and goes right past the Statue of Liberty, with awesome views of downtown NYC - and it is completely free for foot passengers. No tickets, no nothing: Just show up and walk on. (Just like folks trying to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge, scammers will try to sell you ferry tickets.)

Plenty, but way far outnumbered by bridges. Going back 100, 150, 200 years it was almost all ferries, but as you imagine as more people were about the ferry couldn't keep up with the traffic.

Here in ATL a lot of roads are named for where they lead (or used to lead): Nesbit Ferry Road, Johnson Ferry Road, McGinnis Ferry Road... That would be across the Chattahoochee River, which is perhaps 40-50 meters wide mostly around here. Now there's bridges, no ferrys anymore, but as expected there are only so many, so you might have to travel a little bit to get over the river on a bridge.

Ferries in the Northeast are only financially viable if they save a lot of driving. So there is the Bridgeport (CT) - Port Jefferson (NY) ferry across Long Island Sound, I guess about 20 miles, but saves around 100 miles of driving...and the ferry drops you a few meters from the rail station that goes into New York City. And, similarly, the Cape May (NJ) - Lewes (DE) ferry, also about 20 miles, but saves 170 miles or so.

Lately, if you ever visit New York City, hop a ride on the Staten Island Ferry. Outside rush hour, it is pleasant and uncrowded, and goes right past the Statue of Liberty, with awesome views of downtown NYC - and it is completely free for foot passengers. No tickets, no nothing: Just show up and walk on. (Just like folks trying to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge, scammers will try to sell you ferry tickets.)
Yup that's the North Shore ferry you can drive around but it's a rough track and would take hours.

I forgot the biggest ferry I've been on more like a Ship
The Spirit Of Tasmania now that's a big bastard Ferry it has multiple levels and you sleep overnight on the trip south from Melbourne over the Bass Straight to Davenport Tasmania.
People bring motorhomes and all sorts of vehicles on to transit around Tasmania.

Now that can be a rough boat ride though Bass Strait :)

Sounds right... just looked at a map , that has to be the one.

I forgot about foot ferries...
We got lots of those but those are mainly banana boats and privately "operated"
That is to say: you rock up at any navigatable river. Look to the other side and someone will rock.up and take you across for a fee :)

Today's travels catching the barge back from Noosa North Shore.View attachment 24431

View attachment 24431
We tend to build bridges here.
We do have the chiciman ferry that goes from Tobermorey to South Bay Mouth Manitoulin Island. It is a 2 hour trip across the narrows between Lake Huron and Georgian Bay. A bit too far to span for a bridge... sorry, you got me going about the great lakes again
Screenshot_20230301-234723_Maps.jpg
Screenshot_20230301-234848_Maps.jpg
Screenshot_20230301-234913_Maps.jpg

Now that you mention the Great Lakes, we once rented a cabin on Madelin Island and took a ferry ride out there from Bayport WI.

Finally had a camera, this is across the street from us. We have 3 or 4 that hang out by the ponds in our development View attachment 24447
I love Herons. They are funnier than hell when you are fishing. You just need to keep your eye on your bait. LOL
Every once in a while, one used to hang out with me on Cocoa Beach for a little bit if I had a pole in the water.

I love Herons. They are funnier than hell when you are fishing. You just need to keep your eye on your bait. LOL
Every once in a while, one used to hang out with me on Cocoa Beach for a little bit if I had a pole in the water.
Yeah, they always look like they will crash during takeoff and the stalker moves in the brush

Back