Random Photos.

So I look out the front window of our accommodations here in Eugene, OR to see a bunch of turkeys walking up the path. There were 9 toms, all strutting and fanning their tails in efforts to impress the 3 hens. The sound of their tails fanning was interesting, and the whole display was quite impressive. While here, we have seen multiple bald eagles, a pair of golden eagles, many other birds of prey, and quite a variety of other birds. Quite the thing for avid birders like my wife and me. Sitting on the porch now, hoping to get some photos. Here is a tom.
image.jpg

It blows my mind how common turkeys are in the US. I've never seen a wild one in my life in Canada, but nearly hit a few in Idaho.

So I look out the front window of our accommodations here in Eugene, OR to see a bunch of turkeys walking up the path. There were 9 toms, all strutting and fanning their tails in efforts to impress the 3 hens. The sound of their tails fanning was interesting, and the whole display was quite impressive. While here, we have seen multiple bald eagles, a pair of golden eagles, many other birds of prey, and quite a variety of other birds. Quite the thing for avid birders like my wife and me. Sitting on the porch now, hoping to get some photos. Here is a tom.View attachment 14876
Lucky! I've never seen a Golden Eagle in the Willamette Valley

We get plenty of turkey vultures here, does that count?:rolleyes:

It blows my mind how common turkeys are in the US. I've never seen a wild one in my life in Canada, but nearly hit a few in Idaho.
Come to Aus you'll see plenty of Turkeys Bush Turkeys that is!
No where near as big as those guys wowie!

Cool! Their not scared of humans it seems.

With the reflective coating on the glass they only notice you if you are right up next to the window. And even then, they don't seem to care too much.

Found some eucalyptus and flowering acacia on my walk and grabbed some pics for @Trialben :D
View attachment 14892 View attachment 14893
Yeah their splendid when they flower and fill the Bush land with their scent. You've seen the two ghost gums out the side of my place their sunfire? I flick a pic of the two beauties this eve.
I'm lucky I have a creek that runs past the side of my place with a small reserve either side of the creek. So I get to witness these big trees and the many types of birds who visit throughout the year. Black cockatoo white cockatoo cat birds drongos (sometimes that's me when had too.much beer) kookaburra all sorts even honey eaters and small wrens.

Oh that and all the snakes that slither over ...

Not native to California according to wikipedia, but I'm sure they're cultivated in gardens. Pretty! @Herm_brews do you know?

I need to get to Aus someday, seeing parrots/cockatoos in the wild is still crazy to me, even as a zookeeper!
Yeah we're blest.
the cockatoos come and check out the big dead gum for nesting sites the black cocky when it skreeches sounds like a child wailing sometimes and cat birds yup sound like cats meowing even visitors from around Aus ask what is that!?

My wife is checking on gravellia -
158B1ACF-DDED-42C7-9698-BC2866CC4A9F.jpeg
yes, we saw these on the California Central Coast (in a home garden) back in February.
About the turkey vultures - we have a lot of them in So Cal, but Central Oregon is teeming with these birds. From a distance, they resemble eagles and hawks, but their rocking flight motion gives them away. We have never seen so many as on this trip.

My wife took a trip to Alice Springs, Australia for a couple weeks back in 2008. After that, she traipsed about in Queensland for a week. She saw many of the notorious birds of Down Under, and always speaks fondly of her experience.

My wife is checking on gravellia - View attachment 14896yes, we saw these on the California Central Coast (in a home garden) back in February.
About the turkey vultures - we have a lot of them in So Cal, but Central Oregon is teeming with these birds. From a distance, they resemble eagles and hawks, but their rocking flight motion gives them away. We have never seen so many as on this trip.
You are making me so jealous! I'm planning a trip home as we speak

Back