Q4 2022 Brewersfriend Quarterly Brew

Does it matter when you pull the wort for reduction? I usually batch sparge (been too lazy/busy to finish my fly sparge ring), meaning the first runnings will be the highest gravity, ergo shortest route to syrup. I typically batch sparge to make up volume. No point in leaving anything in the grains I don't have to, and plain water for volume is going to affect target gravity more. Is it better to homogenize the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd runnings before drawing the reduction volume? Now I got a new term (Maillard reactions) to go read about. I'd have flunked HomeBrewing 101 a long time ago because of my poor study habits. Not sure I can get this one in before end of the year, at least not fermented and conditioned enough to drink.

Might have to drink Q4-22 beer in Q1-23 if I decide to give this a go. Looks and sounds yummy.
I think you're overthinking it. Just pull the wort for the reduction from where it's easiest for you
I biab, so it's all 1st running for me

I think you're overthinking it. Just pull the wort for the reduction from where it's easiest for you
I biab, so it's all 1st running for me
Nah, not overthinking it, just making sure there's not some secret handshake that I'm gonna miss. I see/read some things that turn into HUGE debates about the right way to do something, and wonder if it's really that big a deal or how much difference it could make. It's a curiosity thing, not a fret or worry. I'd do what makes sense to me with the equipment I have.

I'm still curious how this differs from using LME, or at least the way I do it when I do partial mash extract batches. More than once I've noticed that the color of something I made was a bit dark, and when I do it with all-grain, it's spot on. Same goes for the FG numbers, a little elevated on partial mash batches versus right on the money with all-grain. And the partial mash batches are always a little sweeter, too, as would be expected with the higher FG. Most of the time I just dump the LME or DME in the fermenter (or a mixing bucket first) and pour the partial mash on top and make up with cold water for volume. I've tried boil or no-boil of the LME/DME on the partial mashes, and it doesn't seem to make any significant difference. All-grain batches ALWAYS get me closer to expected color and FG numbers, though. I wouldn't swear to it on the IBU because I have no way to measure that quantitatively.

This is going to be one of those beers that I just get inpatient with. Fermentation was rolling heavy and it just seems to have slowed way down. Still kicking bubbles out every second or two, but just seems to have slowed down. I know, just be patient.

ferment (2).jpg

This is going to be one of those beers that I just get inpatient with. Fermentation was rolling heavy and it just seems to have slowed way down. Still kicking bubbles out every second or two, but just seems to have slowed down. I know, just be patient.

View attachment 23246
Good time for a +5F increase for a diacetyl rest, also about 3-4 days. Cold crash a couple days and call it done...

View attachment 23246
Yup mine finished High I rekon due to unfermentable sugars from the partial boil ect ect

Dumb question here, what does the reducing do for the brew?
Reducing a portion of the wort by 75% gives the final beer a great malty/ dark-caramel flavor. When I use this technique, I always pull a gallon from the first runnings. I have the reduction boiling on the side burner on the gas grill while the main boil is on the DarkStar burner.

Got mine bottled tonight. OG was 1.057 and FG was 1.012. That gives it three weeks and I will actually get to try it this quarter. Lots of fun with this beer. Tastes great uncarbonated so I am excited to see how it comes out.

20221205_203312.jpg

20221205_213305.jpg

Got mine bottled tonight. OG was 1.057 and FG was 1.012. That gives it three weeks and I will actually get to try it this quarter. Lots of fun with this beer. Tastes great uncarbonated so I am excited to see how it comes out.

View attachment 23335

View attachment 23336
Now that I've seen your sample, I gotta say my brown (Speckled Hen) doesn't look so bad. I thought there was something seriously wrong with mine, because it's cloudy and not clearing up at all. Guess that's just the nature of the beast. But, like you, I thought it had wonderful flavor uncarbed. VERY malty, and could possibly use a little bit more bittering to balance the malt. It was crystal clear when I put it in the fermenter, but it went cloudy during fermentation and stayed that way. Doesn't stink, tastes good, and it's carbing up slowly. The missus even likes this one, and beer is just not something she favors. She prefers wine. I'd probably call that 1.014 if you read to the bottom of the meniscus. The foam makes it hard to read, though. I got 1.056 OG and 1.018 FG, so relatively close numbers and the color is about the same. Mine might be sligthly darker. I'll open one up tomorrow and take a photo. This one's REALLY yummy if I just chill it with a frozen thick bottom mug, just like I do my oatmeal stout. Not so cold that it numbs the taste buds. I think this style's supposed to be served a little warmer than lighter beers anyway, right? To each his/her own serving temps, though. I just like the darker, heavier beers a little warmer. Once in a while I'll have one straight off the shelf if it's well conditioned.

I've Decided to hand over the "Quarterly Brew Tin" Ladies and Gentlemen.
I thought it only right as I probably won't be able to participate going forward...

I expect you'd have seen I'm sorta compromised ATM in regards to brewing with Gluten which would also unfortunately deny me the ability to brew your tried n tested skilfully crafted Hombrew recipes at this stage anyhow until I can wrap my head around how to move forward with this GF brewing thing.

So yup I'm stepping Aside and would love one of our fellow brewers to take over the reins before the new year of organising and drawing the Brewersfriend Quarterly Recipe Brew.

Whoever wants to take up the responsibilities of this either PM or let me know here and I'll flick through the names of all the BF Forum members names that are still in the Tin.
Either that or I could post it lol!
But with the holiday season and all I don't expect it to get to America or Africa or err England by the next Quarter :D!

Fwiw:
I've loved every Brew submitted in this BF Quarterly Brew.
I have grown alot and learn alot through brewing these submitted beers using different ingredients and yeasts and brewing different styles I would of never brewed with.
It shows me the level of skill and brewing experience you all have in this forum.

Bring on Q1 2023!:p

Hey if my name gets drawn it'll be GF lol

Cheers

Now who's volunteering ;)?

I thought it only right as I probably won't be able to participate going forward...

I expect you'd have seen I'm sorta compromised ATM in regards to brewing with Gluten which would also unfortunately deny me the ability to brew your tried n tested skilfully crafted Hombrew recipes at this stage anyhow until I can wrap my head around how to move forward with this GF brewing thing.

So yup I'm stepping Aside and would love one of our fellow brewers to take over the reins before the new year of organising and drawing the Brewersfriend Quarterly Recipe Brew.

Whoever wants to take up the responsibilities of this either PM or let me know here and I'll flick through the names of all the BF Forum members names that are still in the Tin.
But with the holiday season and all I don't expect it to get to America or Africa or err England by the next Quarter :D!

Fwiw:
I have grown alot and learn alot through brewing these submitted beers using different ingredients and yeasts and brewing different styles I would of never brewed with.
It shows me the level of skill and brewing experience you all have in this forum.

Cheers

I’m not volunteering, but just giving you a hearty thanks, Ben.
Be healthy going forward, friend.

Fwiw:

Cheers

Ben...for what it's worth, if your name gets drawn, I would love to try my hand at a Gluten free beer. I'm sure it won't take you long to create a tasty one. And maybe, as a group brew, we can help you move the needle even further. One of us can try this, one of us that, see what works and what doesn't.

Back