Q4 2022 Brewersfriend Quarterly Brew

Hello all, just getting back into brewing after a summer of endless work and stumbled onto the Quarterly Brew while catching up on the forums. I am guessing the quarterly brew is open to everyone? I already have three beers stacked up to brew but will add this one to my list. I will probably scale the recipe up to 10 gallons.
Yup open to anyone willing to brew up these beers:p.

You can see the other ones in the list Sunfire put together as well .

We see it as a way to entice us to brew something new. Certainly not mandatory, and open to everyone, and flexible on the ingredients as needed. I prefer to come as close as possible to the original recipe, but you sometimes can't get an ingredient.

Transferring the Q4 Brown now it finished 1.018 quite high.
Tastes like it's finished quite malty it's go a nice subtle roasty flavour too I like this brown malt and will have to give it a go in my Mild I think.
20221106_134040.jpg

Colour looks sorta like yours aye @Josh Hughes if not a bit lighter it is in a small pot glass though .

Better drink it or that flys gunna go for swim

Last edited:
Tastes like it's finished quite malty it's go a nice subtle roasty flavour too I like this brown malt and will have to give it a go in my Mild I think.View attachment 22949
Colour looks sorta like yours aye @Josh Hughes if not a bit lighter it is in a small pot glass though .

That's it, I'm bottling today. I should have the damn thing at least be drinkable in q4

Tastes like it's finished quite malty it's go a nice subtle roasty flavour too I like this brown malt and will have to give it a go in my Mild I think.View attachment 22949

Mine is pretty close in color to yours Ben.

First carbed up sample of @jmcnamara 's brown ale.
20221109_183546.jpg

Mate this is good!
It's got alot of lovely flavours going on in there.
This beer is best left warm up I've already found!
I think my keezer is to cold for this style. On the nose it's reminding me of a chocolate aroma with roast hints and maybe a herbal almost mint thing from the fuggles? It's nice and full and creamy on the mouthfeel. Malt forward that's for sure bitterness is in the back seat maybe this has to do with my high FG 1.018 .
Head is tight at first (this ain't quite fully carbed) then dissipates to a light film atop but clings to the glass.
Colour is a nice deep Amber/brown with some thick haze (early days ).
That flavour is malty subtle caramel notes and rich with the sweet malt finish which lasting.

Anyhow this is what I'm getting off this early sample.
I think another week and I'll be full of brown ale most afternoons:D!

First carbed up sample of @jmcnamara 's brown ale.
View attachment 22986
Mate this is good!
It's got alot of lovely flavours going on in there.
This beer is best left warm up I've already found!
I think my keezer is to cold for this style. On the nose it's reminding me of a chocolate aroma with roast hints and maybe a herbal almost mint thing from the fuggles? It's nice and full and creamy on the mouthfeel. Malt forward that's for sure bitterness is in the back seat maybe this has to do with my high FG 1.018 .
Head is tight at first (this ain't quite fully carbed) then dissipates to a light film atop but clings to the glass.
Colour is a nice deep Amber/brown with some thick haze (early days ).
That flavour is malty subtle caramel notes and rich with the sweet malt finish which lasting.

Anyhow this is what I'm getting off this early sample.
I think another week and I'll be full of brown ale most afternoons:D!
Nice!
Afternoon brown, afternoon brown, get yourself a pint of afternoon brown!

That's it, I'm bottling today. I should have the damn thing at least be drinkable in q4

Your are not as far behind as I am on this one. I will brew it this weekend so maybe it will be ready for New Year's. I have never pulled wort to boil down as called for in this one, so a new step I will have to account for.

Wow, the extra boil took a lot longer than I had expected. Wife kicked me out of the kitchen, said she didn't like the smell. Moved it down to the basement to countertop induction burner I have by the brewing equipment. 10.2 gallons in the fermenter, gravity was 1.057 on the tilt at 71 degrees. Looks like 1.056 on the hydrometer.

20221123_203719.jpg

Back