Problem with a recipe.

thomas99

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello, i found this recipe, but i don't understand why post boil size and batch size are different.
Where is 1.5 gal (7gal - 5.5gal) lost ? Thanks.
upload_2022-12-16_20-53-7.png

The difference is due to trub and hop-debris being left behind in the brew kettle. But, unless the recipe has a ton of hops, 1.5 gallons is quite a bit to lose. But each person's system is different. Maybe this brewer is leaving more in the kettle than I would so they can get clearer wort into the fermenter. One other thing that may result in a reduction in volume is if the post boil volume is measured before chilling.

OK, thanks a lot.
I just have one more question, in this recipe it only lost 0.5 gallons (7.5 - 7) during the boiling time, how is that possible? If I boil 7.5 gallons I lose about 2 gallons to evaporation.

OK, thanks a lot.
I just have one more question, in this recipe it only lost 0.5 gallons (7.5 - 7) during the boiling time, how is that possible? If I boil 7.5 gallons I lose about 2 gallons to evaporation.
Yes you can loose that much. There is everything from boil vigor, kettle geometry to relative humidity that can impact your brew. Barbi's spot on with how everyone's system is different...dig around in here for posts about loss.

Here's one
https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum...-get-the-target-yield.10017/page-2#post-67167

Everybody has a different system. I usually boil outside in high humidity with a rolling boil, and I still evaporate about a gallon an hour. Set your software for YOUR boil off rate. Correct in assuming that not everything from the kettle will make it into the fermenter.

Hello, i found this recipe, but i don't understand why post boil size and batch size are different. Where is 1.5 gal (7gal - 5.5gal) lost ? Thanks.

As others have stated, every brewing system is different. Pre-bail to post boil is a half gallon difference, which is pretty good, I lose a gallon easily because of the size of my boil kettle. From post boil to fermenter is a loss of 1.5 gallons, which is pretty close to what I would lose if I use my large coil to cool the wort. The key is to make sure you setup the software for your system and update the recipe accordingly.

OK, thanks a lot.
As mentioned, set the recipe builder to the equipment values your system has. If you don't know a particular value, use the default until you get around to measuring (or better guessing) what it is.

My system boils off 1.2 gallons per hour, and has only 1/4 gallon kettle loss, meaning my 5.75 gallon post-boil gives me 5.5 gallons into the fermenter. Usually...:rolleyes:

Back