How to deal with boil off to get the target yield

I'm not sure I understand the full extent.

Although I do think users should know how the software works, why it gives the results it does. Yes, the Brew Session has a water calculator that gives you pretty close (within a cup) how much water you need to get a given volume of wort but it still helps to know how it got to the result.

Reactions: J A
I definitely do not have my boil off numbers sorted out. My preboil numbers are checking out but my post boil numbers are all over the damned place.

So I just bottled a batch of brown but didn't use the recipe here but I did up the amount of strike water to 1.5 qt per pound of grain and did a 1 hour boil. The results were much better with just about 5 1/2 gallons into the bottles from the 7 1/4 gallons that went into the kettle.

Nice! Did you hit your OG?

OP, lots of great feedback above there, awesome indeed. Reading thought posts like these is what helped me figure it out too. If you are looking for a ball park, post your kettle size, type, and heat source, and I bet you will get a few responses that will be within a quart or 2.

If you any control over your heat source, it helps. I run 5500 Watt element, with a variable control so that I can control from 0 to 5500 watts of power to the element. During the boil, I keep an eye on volume and gravity (half the boil should be half the volume boil off your expecting for example). If I find I am ahead or behind boil off, I turn up or down my heat source, which will increase or decrease my boil off rate.
It's for this reason, I tuned my system to boil at 4000 watts, so that I got room both ways.

Cheers!

So I watched the video.....good lesson...I took some notes and treated it like a big word problem of water loss and additions and here's what it boils down to....( hee hee...see what I did there?)

Strike Water
- Grain Absorption of about 1 pint per pound of grain
= First Runnings
+ Sparge Water
= Pre-boil volume
- Evaporation
= Post-boil volume
- Kettle loss Whirlpool Pile)
= Fermenter Volume
- Trub Loss
= Batch to bottle ...or keg volume

Mash Hacks suggested 1.25 qt per pound, I did 1.5

Glad that helped, it gave me an understanding of the nuts and bolts of water calcs. Highly recommended using the "quick water calcs" here on BF just though which, as I believe nosy said usually comes within a cup or so.
Cheers

Back