Priming carboy, cold crashing, then bottling?

CraigBarber

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Im doing my first big batch 20L. Im at the stage to bottle, so i did my priming sugar in my carboy as i do not have anywhere to transfer the beer to to prime before bottling. I primed the carboy directly stirred as gently as i could, but it kicked up lots of sediment fromt the bottom, i was wondering am i ok to cold crash it for a day before bottling just to let the sediment resettle? or am i fucked now and i gotta bottle

I am not the expert here but I would think if you got it real cold it might put a hold on more fermentation until you bottle.
Should have added the sugar solution to each bottle in that case. But I don't see much other way at this point.

I waited a few hours and it settled pretty good and then I bottled. Let’s see how it goes !

Part of the fun of this hobby is figuring stuff out

Bottling time, and don’t cold crash. Let the yeast finish its job in the bottle by conditioning for a week or two (or longer if necessary), then you can cold crash later. You will get the hang of all this, it takes time and practice.

I think the cold crash was just to settle out the stirred up trub.

The cold would inhibit fermentation, at least until the bottles warmed up again, so no worries either way. In other words, no harm.

If your only option is to prime and bottle from the fermenter, maybe cold crash before adding priming solution. Cold crashing will compact the trub on the bottom of the fermenter which will minimize the amount of sediment kicked up by stirring.

If your only option is to prime and bottle from the fermenter, maybe cold crash before adding priming solution. Cold crashing will compact the trub on the bottom of the fermenter which will minimize the amount of sediment kicked up by stirring.
In that case I would put sugar per bottle. Either dissolved and with a syringe, or straight.

I waited a few hours and it settled pretty good and then I bottled. Let’s see how it goes !

Part of the fun of this hobby is figuring stuff out
Keep the bottles warm until the yeast has had enough time to ferment the priming sugar and produce the CO2 you need for carbonation, then cold crash the bottles. Most of the sediment will drop out in a few days.

A little sediment in a bottle won't hurt the person who consumes it anyway. In fact, it will be more healthy than a bottle from a brewery that has killed the yeast via pasteurization or removed the sediment by filtration. The yeast produces some of the B vitamins our bodies need. I believe the heat produced during fermentation will degrade or destroy those vitamins we need.

Back