Pre Pro Lager

Thinking about doing one of these in the near future…Anyone have any thoughts or tips on making one? And most importantly was it worth the effort? Distinctly different? 6 row seems to be a mainstay but what yeast and hops have you used, etc…?
The pre-prohibition lager is a bit of an enigma. You will get a wide range of opinions as to what a pre-prohibition lager really is. The way I look at it, you can brew an American lager with a little more leeway. The bitterness is going to be much higher than a modern American lager. The modern version is 12-15 IBU's. The guidelines suggest 25-40 IBU's for a pre-prohibition lager. The preferred hop is a continental Noble hop. Saaz, Tettnang, Perle, Hallertau, etc., many early American breweries imported their hops from Europe

The base malt doesn't have to be 6 row. Modern American 2 row is very similar to 6 row and has a better flavor. Adjuncts are used to lighten the body, but in many cases could be optional with modern 2 row. The starting gravity can go as high as 1.060. So do what you want with this beer, it's mostly interpretation.

The yeast is the easy part, a lot of people swear by WLP833, but I love dry yeast 34/70 for any American Lager. 34/70 is so easy to work, it's clean and dry. It's a great yeast for this style.

The fermentation temperature is up to you. 34/70 works really well from 48F to 64F. The ester it produces most is a lemon character. If you want to reduce or eliminate it, pressure ferment at 5 PSI @ 50F. Or just let it go in the low 60's and it can produce a very clean beer.

Basically the beer is a German Pilsner with some adjuncts in it. Personally, I like to push the lagers a bit higher in original gravity and attenuate them as low as I can. SO a 1.060 beer lands around 1.010 to 1.012. 34/70 is a great yeast for this effect. A decent recipe would be something like this:

80-85% 2 row American Pilsner malt; Rahr Premium Pils is perfect for this.
15-20% flaked corn or rice, I like Minute Rice as an adjunct. Just toss it into the mash.
SG 1.058 FG 1.011 ABV @ 6%
Perle, German Tradition or Magnum at 60 minutes for bittering
Saaz or Hallertau for a finishing hop. @ 10 minutes
IBU's 25-30
Mash @145F for 60-90 minutes to get the attenuation up to +80%
Water is 100% R/O or distilled.
3 grams of calcium chloride and 3 grams of calcium sulfate as a salt addition
Pitch a lot of yeast when cold, you can back off when warm. 3-4 packs cold, 2 packs warm.
Lager 4-6 weeks

Good Luck!

I wanted to do it as an experiment. Taste wise, I LOVE it. I did not do a protein rest, and the beer foams like hell. 6 row has a lot of protein. I have to let it settle for a minute and I am doing 1/2 pours.
My recipe was very simple.. 6 row, flaked corn, Carapils. I used Crystal Hops at 60 and 10. Crystal Hops, at least the ones I had, are very low alpha. I used about what I would use for a Pale Ale because of that. 34/70 worked great. I overpitched the living hell out of it, and it took off like an Ale. It was quite drinkable in 4 weeks. It was REALLY damn good yesterday.
6 Row does not ferment down as well. Mine was OG 1.060, FG 1.018. It has a slight sweetness to it.
Make sure you have a lot of room in your kettle with 6 row. I had the hot break from hell and damn near overflowed a kettle that had 7 gallons of space left in it.

Last edited:
I wanted to do it as an experiment. Taste wise, I LOVE it. I did not do a protein rest, and the beer foams like hell. 6 row has a lot of protein. I have to let it settle for a minute and I am doing 1/2 pours.
My recipe was very simple.. 6 row, flaked corn, Carapils. I used Crystal Hops at 60 and 10. Crystal Hops, at least the ones I had, are very low alpha. I used about what I would use for a Pale Ale because of that. 34/70 worked great. I overpitched the living hell out of it, and it took off like an Ale. It was quite drinkable in 4 weeks. It was REALLY damn good yesterday.
6 Row does not ferment down as well. Mine was OG 1.060, FG 1.018. It has a slight sweetness to it.
Make sure you have a lot of room in your kettle with 6 row. I had the hot break from hell and damn near overflowed a kettle that had 7 gallons of space left in it.
Sounds like you'll be brewing this again :)

Sounds like you'll be brewing this again :)
I think an IPL like this would also be very good. I did see something online where they were mixing the 6 row with Pils or 2 row. That might work too.

The pre-prohibition lager is a bit of an enigma. You will get a wide range of opinions as to what a pre-prohibition lager really is. The way I look at it, you can brew an American lager with a little more leeway. The bitterness is going to be much higher than a modern American lager. The modern version is 12-15 IBU's. The guidelines suggest 25-40 IBU's for a pre-prohibition lager. The preferred hop is a continental Noble hop. Saaz, Tettnang, Perle, Hallertau, etc., many early American breweries imported their hops from Europe

The base malt doesn't have to be 6 row. Modern American 2 row is very similar to 6 row and has a better flavor. Adjuncts are used to lighten the body, but in many cases could be optional with modern 2 row. The starting gravity can go as high as 1.060. So do what you want with this beer, it's mostly interpretation.

The yeast is the easy part, a lot of people swear by WLP833, but I love dry yeast 34/70 for any American Lager. 34/70 is so easy to work, it's clean and dry. It's a great yeast for this style.

The fermentation temperature is up to you. 34/70 works really well from 48F to 64F. The ester it produces most is a lemon character. If you want to reduce or eliminate it, pressure ferment at 5 PSI @ 50F. Or just let it go in the low 60's and it can produce a very clean beer.

Basically the beer is a German Pilsner with some adjuncts in it. Personally, I like to push the lagers a bit higher in original gravity and attenuate them as low as I can. SO a 1.060 beer lands around 1.010 to 1.012. 34/70 is a great yeast for this effect. A decent recipe would be something like this:

80-85% 2 row American Pilsner malt; Rahr Premium Pils is perfect for this.
15-20% flaked corn or rice, I like Minute Rice as an adjunct. Just toss it into the mash.
SG 1.058 FG 1.011 ABV @ 6%
Perle, German Tradition or Magnum at 60 minutes for bittering
Saaz or Hallertau for a finishing hop. @ 10 minutes
IBU's 25-30
Mash @145F for 60-90 minutes to get the attenuation up to +80%
Water is 100% R/O or distilled.
3 grams of calcium chloride and 3 grams of calcium sulfate as a salt addition
Pitch a lot of yeast when cold, you can back off when warm. 3-4 packs cold, 2 packs warm.
Lager 4-6 weeks

Good Luck!
My normal Spring Water worked quite well too.

Back