Phenolic smokey flavor in my Pilsner...

Paul Schiele

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has a suggestion on how to reduce or remove a distinct Smokey flavor from my pilsner. I did a 3bbl batch and It looks like I may have screwed up my PH levels or sparging process, based on what I have read so far. I have a PH meter on order for the next brew. Has anyone come across a way to reduce or remove a Smokey flavor? This is the first time I have run into this issue.

Thanks,
Paul

I'm curious if anyone has a suggestion on how to reduce or remove a distinct Smokey flavor from my pilsner. I did a 3bbl batch and It looks like I may have screwed up my PH levels or sparging process, based on what I have read so far. I have a PH meter on order for the next brew. Has anyone come across a way to reduce or remove a Smokey flavor? This is the first time I have run into this issue.

Thanks,
Paul
It's likely sulfur and will dissipate over time.

Phenolic flavors can occur from a problem in fermentation. Technically, lager yeast isn’t supposed to be phenolic, but I’ve gotten it. I traced it to a fermentation problem.

I can't imagine pH would cause smokiness. Anything in your recipe that's not just Pilsner? As mentioned, scorching is possible. Are you doing a decoction by chance? Sulfur is a possibility but I don't associate that flavor with smokiness at all.
I agree that if there's a medicinal/iodine/phenolic sort of character (very common with smoked malts and dark roasts) it could be a phenolic residual from an infection.
It won't likely get better or go away. I'd get busy brewing again if it was me. :)

Also I've done this before with old element wort scortching can give you that smoke type flavour.
You run ULWDElements?
There are two elements. I'm not sure what type. I'll take a look at them. I think our host brewery said that he pulled them just after our brew and they needed a clean. Thanks!

I think our host brewery said that he pulled them just after our brew and they needed a clean.
Is this a club brew of some sort? Big batch of wort split into smaller batches? Other brewers involved? If so, is all the beer produced exhibiting the same problem?
If not, why not ask your "host brewery" personnel about the problem?

Back