Peanut Butter Blonde Ale

Let's see, salty, sour peanut butter... I won't be brewing it any time soon.

Let's see, salty, sour peanut butter... I won't be brewing it any time soon.
You would have to hold back on the sour a little but I am trying to picture how to get the peanut butter to balance in beer. Unsalted peanut butter sucks. So...

but I am trying to picture how to get the peanut butter to balance in beer
I know the exact, precise amount of peanut butter to put in any beer to make it balance perfectly!!:p:p:p:D:D:D

I know the exact, precise amount of peanut butter to put in any beer to make it balance perfectly!!:p:p:p:D:D:D
No imagination.:rolleyes:
Took me 3 years brewing before I tried fruit beer.:D
Personally I think that is as far as I will go. Just trying to help brainstorm.;)

Reactions: J A
I shared my peanut butter brown with a friend last night. I just saw him this morning, and he told me he dreamed about it! My homebrew, the beer you dream about! :D

No imagination.:rolleyes:
Took me 3 years brewing before I tried fruit beer.:D
Fruit, used in a judicious and discriminant fashion, can be quite fine in beer, as can chocolate and spices and some other flavors. I'm gonna go ahead and keep my check mark in the "no-thank you" column on the peanut butter page of beer preferences. :D:D:D

I'm still in the "no" camp on peanut butter gose - I could be persuaded to add peanut butter powder to a "cookie" like beer - I do love peanut butter cookies - but it would have to be a sweet beer. For the PPJ crowd, add some raspberries to the peanut beer but for me, I won't be brewing with peanut butter powder any time soon.

Have you ever tried the “Sweet Baby Jesus” from DuClaw brewing? Absolutely yuck! :eek:

Have you ever tried the “Sweet Baby Jesus” from DuClaw brewing? Absolutely yuck! :eek:
It's better on tap.
On a sidenote though, something about their "flavored" beers tastes like extract imo

I'm still in the "no" camp on peanut butter gose - I could be persuaded to add peanut butter powder to a "cookie" like beer - I do love peanut butter cookies - but it would have to be a sweet beer. For the PPJ crowd, add some raspberries to the peanut beer but for me, I won't be brewing with peanut butter powder any time soon.

Ok so take away the gose aspect but look towards peanut butter and honey. Peanut butter sucks without salt. Brew a wheat beer (think bread) very lightly hopped with(fill in the blank) with peanut butter and honey malt then salt enough till it just brings out the peanuts. Get out of your rut here guys. Peanuts and beer go together, you can't disagree about that.

I generally add a bit of salt, one or two grams, to my beer when I bottle. Here would be my peanut butter beer: Malty, a good heavy dose of crystal 60 to get a cookie flavor going. Peanut butter powder, enough to get a bit of peanut flavor. A little vanilla for perceived sweetness. Very light neutral hopping. English yeast. Yes, I'm thinking peanut butter shortbread cookies. I like my beer to complement my peanuts, not to taste like them, so I'd go for the cookie effect and suggestive of a cookie, not tasting like one.

I generally add a bit of salt, one or two grams, to my beer when I bottle. Here would be my peanut butter beer: Malty, a good heavy dose of crystal 60 to get a cookie flavor going. Peanut butter powder, enough to get a bit of peanut flavor. A little vanilla for perceived sweetness. Very light neutral hopping. English yeast. Yes, I'm thinking peanut butter shortbread cookies. I like my beer to complement my peanuts, not to taste like them, so I'd go for the cookie effect and suggestive of a cookie, not tasting like one.

I see your point but I don't usually eat cookies with my beer. Do you? But peanuts go with beer. Good slightly dry peanut butter cookies(the kind with the fork smashes on them?) would go with beer. And yes agreed that the peanut flavor needs to "go with" the beer flavor not stand out. The crystal 60 would ad to a good base flavor, dab of honey malt for added sweetness but what about enough salt to make the peanut flavor perceivable? Think eating a salted nut roll with a light lager to wash it down.
Edit Yes I know trying to make a steak taste like steak and eggs. But I bet somebody was laughing at the first guy who put a beer in a used whiskey keg.;)

Last edited:
I see your point but I don't usually eat cookies with my beer. Do you? But peanuts go with beer. Good slightly dry peanut butter cookies(the kind with the fork smashes on them?) would go with beer. And yes agreed that the peanut flavor needs to "go with" the beer flavor not stand out. The crystal 60 would ad to a good base flavor, dab of honey malt for added sweetness but what about enough salt to make the peanut flavor perceivable? Think eating a salted nut roll with a light lager to wash it down.
Edit Yes I know trying to make a steak taste like steak and eggs. But I bet somebody was laughing at the first guy who put a beer in a used whiskey keg.;)
Now you're thinking about outcomes rather than recipes! My take as a brewer is to make a peanut butter beer that reminds me of my daughter's peanut butter chocolate chip cookies (see, I withheld that critical piece of information). You now have a target in mind, a salted peanut butter nut roll. And yes, I'm southern enough to love those things! Now that I have a clear picture of what your target is, I can give better advice.

When I start formulating a recipe, I start by getting an image of what I want in my mind. If I can't describe it to myself or others, I don't even start formulating a recipe. At some point, I'll start looking at recipes for the thing I want the beer to suggest, then I'll start formulating. For example, I looked up your peanut logs. The filling or binding is marshmallow cream and caramel - honey malt and C40 to C60 come to mind to simulate that. There's vanilla and almond extract in there - I can add that at bottling based on bench testing to get the proportions right. I'll leave the powdered sugar out. I want sweetness so the hop level will be low, say around 15 IBUs for a 1.050 beer. Then all that's left are the peanuts and the salt. I can't figure out how to bench test peanut powder so I'll have to make an educated guess based on other recipes. Salt, like the vanilla and almond, I can add at packaging to taste. I'd brew a small batch the first time, make my tweaks based on the outcome, then brew the larger batch.

Now you're thinking about outcomes rather than recipes! My take as a brewer is to make a peanut butter beer that reminds me of my daughter's peanut butter chocolate chip cookies (see, I withheld that critical piece of information). You now have a target in mind, a salted peanut butter nut roll. And yes, I'm southern enough to love those things! Now that I have a clear picture of what your target is, I can give better advice.

When I start formulating a recipe, I start by getting an image of what I want in my mind. If I can't describe it to myself or others, I don't even start formulating a recipe. At some point, I'll start looking at recipes for the thing I want the beer to suggest, then I'll start formulating. For example, I looked up your peanut logs. The filling or binding is marshmallow cream and caramel - honey malt and C40 to C60 come to mind to simulate that. There's vanilla and almond extract in there - I can add that at bottling based on bench testing to get the proportions right. I'll leave the powdered sugar out. I want sweetness so the hop level will be low, say around 15 IBUs for a 1.050 beer. Then all that's left are the peanuts and the salt. I can't figure out how to bench test peanut powder so I'll have to make an educated guess based on other recipes. Salt, like the vanilla and almond, I can add at packaging to taste. I'd brew a small batch the first time, make my tweaks based on the outcome, then brew the larger batch.
Yes when I had gose in mind had not considered the sour not fitting or just hold back on the sour. Like I said trying to make steak and eggs in one flavor would be tough. I don't do small batches very often(Like not for several years). But would not want to start with 10gal of this stuff!

Back