Peanut Butter Blonde Ale

Kleczd65

Trial Member
Reaction score
Looking to make a clean crisp blonde ale and incorporate peanut butter. I’m experimenting with 1 gallon BIAB.

I’m looking at the following grain bill:

2.5lbs American Pale 2 Row
.5lbs Canadian Honey
.5lbs Flaked Oats or White Wheat

.25oz Williamette/Mt. Hood/Fuggle (not sure which yet) 45 minute boil (~20IBU)

Irish moss for clarity (unsure of how much to use)

And last but not least

P2 peanut butter powder

I am unsure how much P2 to use and when to add it? I’d prefer to add during the boil to avoid any risk of infection.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

ozarks blondie is a nice drop ive brewed it twice now with some tweeks to yeast and hops. i used sazz in first one and second fuggles and sazz. i think ozarks uses Amarillo in his brew. your bitterness is spot on around 20 is good me thinks. id go wheat instead of oats just me but. im thinking Willamette would be.a lovely hop for this brew. irish moss a teaspoon i last checked. what yeast you cookin her up with? Chico or something more.characterfull.

I’ve got a peanut butter porter kegged now, on deck. I put a 4 oz bottle of peanut butter flavoring in at at kegging. It’s a lot of peanut butter flavor. I don’t think it matters what grains and hops I used in it. It’s good, though. Next time I’ll use less flavoring.

ozarks blondie is a nice drop ive brewed it twice now with some tweeks to yeast and hops. i used sazz in first one and second fuggles and sazz. i think ozarks uses Amarillo in his brew. your bitterness is spot on around 20 is good me thinks. id go wheat instead of oats just me but. im thinking Willamette would be.a lovely hop for this brew. irish moss a teaspoon i last checked. what yeast you cookin her up with? Chico or something more.characterfull.

I have a half packet of Danstar Dry97 from the pineapple IPA I brewed today I was planning on using. Also debating if I should add some lactose and make it a cream ale.

I’ve got a peanut butter porter kegged now, on deck. I put a 4 oz bottle of peanut butter flavoring in at at kegging. It’s a lot of peanut butter flavor. I don’t think it matters what grains and hops I used in it. It’s good, though. Next time I’ll use less flavoring.
How big of a batch is it?

5 gallons, which is what the 4 oz bottle says to use it in.

5 gallons, which is what the 4 oz bottle says to use it in.

Okay so I’d use like 1/2 oz or so.... I might ask the owner of my lhbs his input when I go pickup supples.

I don’t know how the powder compares to the liquid.

If I were making a peanut butter beer, my thought would be no late addition hops, just neutral bitterness at 60 minutes (think Magnum). The primary purpose of the peanut butter powder is flavor and I wouldn't want much - think Thai food where there's peanut butter as a flavor but it's not dominant. Unless, of course, you're going for a PPJ effect, then lots, along with artificial fruit flavoring of your choice. I'm guessing the powder wouldn't be as strongly flavored as the extract so more would be in order but again, I've never worked with it, I'm just thinking how I'd formulate a peanut butter beer. I'd want some Crystal 60 to color and sweeten it, biased toward malty, peanut flavor just above the "there's something but what the hell is it" level. Agree on the neutral yeast, you don't want phenols mucking up your peanut butter goodness. Some chocolate if you're going for a Reese's Cup effect... Lots of possibilities here! If you can't get an answer on the amount, consider making a very small batch, say a gallon or two, as a test and modify from there.

My wife is intrigued by the PBJ idea. One of her requests is a raspberry porter that she likes really well. A little peanut butter, and liquid lunch!!

I hate to say it but a candy type of flavor will taste just like the candy and not like beer, I've had terrible tasting beer made this way, the flavor is too sweet and artificial it just doesn't meld right with the hops and malt

I agree with Nosey on the 60min neutraL hop now I think of it if your going the peanut flavour aroma route any delicate hop would be lost in the chaos :p. What about some desicated coconut whilst we're at it that might jibe well with the peanut...

I completely agree, except when I finally get around to making my Reese’s recipe, that’s exactly what I’m going for.
What about a peanut butter Gose? You could just add salt to taste. I'm not big on the style but with peanut butter? hummm maybe

I don’t know that I’ve ever had a Gose.

I don’t know that I’ve ever had a Gose.
Spelling is probably wrong I think it has a German wiggle in there somewhere. It's just a salty beer. I'm not very fond of them but salty peanut flavor could work.

I’m not being a spelling Nazi here. I’ve never had the style that I know of.

Back