Other hobbies

Going to try to go eclipse watching Monday, along with about 2 million of my closest friends.... Closest totality is about three hours from here. I'm hoping if I get up early enough, I can get there before the sun goes dark. Getting home might be even more of a problem....

4 hour trip for me. Headed to Bowling Green, KY.

You're all invited to my house April 8, 2024. 0 mile trip for me that day!

Being at "zero" mile... did you brew and have on tap an eclipse brew?

Next one will pass directly over the inlaws' house in San Antonio. The irony is this one will pass directly over my parents' house - a bit west of Bowling Green but still in Kentucky. I'm heading up to Nebraska.

Next one will pass directly over the inlaws' house in San Antonio. The irony is this one will pass directly over my parents' house - a bit west of Bowling Green but still in Kentucky. I'm heading up to Nebraska.
Paducah, KY is at a cross point between this eclipse and the April 2024 eclipse. They get it twice. "Aww!! Darkness again?!?!?"

Lucky them. I could have been at mom and dad's - in totality. I could have been visiting friends in Russellville, KY, again, total. I went to college in Bowling Green, KY, could have been there, too. Paducah isn't far from Mom and Dad's. Instead, I get to share the interstate with a couple million of my closest friends. Next time I WILL be in San Antonio for the eclipse!

Just finished planting my fall garden: flat leaf lettuce, chervil, radish, carrots, cilantro, oregano, and snap beans. We have very mild winters in south Louisiana and extremely hot and humid summers. I've given up gardening during the extreme heat. Between now and the beginning of May is the best time to garden here. But I have some okra in the ground that is still producing being it loves high heat and humidity.

Cut into a Port Salut cheese this evening - yummy! Now the whole house smells like high-fiber whole-wheat bread, known by my 4-year old granddaughter as poop bread. Yummy! And I wrapped a nice Taleggio yesterday.... Oh, and a final note on the eclipse: On Aug. 21st we bottled a Pinot Noir called "Totality" due to its very dark color and a Blanc de Noir called "Penumbra" because it's a blush wine....

I grow a bunch too although I haven't had much luck with carrots, right now green beans, broccoli, squash, zucchini, and 12 plants of tomatoes
Just got back(last week) from a short break away to find our runner beans smashed down. Had a spell of(for us over here) high winds of 50/60 mph.Oh well,mostly finished but there were still some to come.Good crop this year and it's been a bumper year for most fruit.Really autumnal now this week,leaves falling like mad:(

I canned 80 quarts of green beens this year, I'm happy about that, I like my veggies

I wish I could grow green beans instead of grass but the HOA frowns on it as ground cover....
Nosey, some areas have "community gardens". Where I live there is at least one and it has about a dozen spots (maybe 12'x12'... approximately 4 meters x 4 meters for the squirrel chasers), but its in town and I live out in the sticks. We don't have a garden other than a few container vegetables. But once I retire, the tiller will be busy.

Nosey, some areas have "community gardens". Where I live there is at least one and it has about a dozen spots (maybe 12'x12'... approximately 4 meters x 4 meters for the squirrel chasers), but its in town and I live out in the sticks. We don't have a garden other than a few container vegetables. But once I retire, the tiller will be busy.
They have some of those around here but I don't know where and how to get into them. I have a little space for some green beans, a cucumber or two, some tomatoes. I would like to end up out in the Grand Valley when I retire - Palisade - with enough land to grow a pretty good garden and a senior water right.

They have some of those around here but I don't know where and how to get into them. I have a little space for some green beans, a cucumber or two, some tomatoes. I would like to end up out in the Grand Valley when I retire - Palisade - with enough land to grow a pretty good garden and a senior water right.
Trouble is when you reach retirement age(guessing it's similar to UK,ie 65) you start thinking you need to downsize ,not go large:(

I had my first veggie garden at 6 grew radish. I remember pulling them out comparing size with me brother and then putting them back in the ground I'm sure a lot of them died from this:D. I always have to have something growing round the joint. I recon biggest bang for buck is growing herbs for the cooking - no not them herbs:p- just convenient and turn an average meal into a great one with a little basil, oregano, chives, Rosemary, chilly ot parsley and I'm sure their all really good for you.

Growing carrots or potatoes there is no savings there as more effort I think in raring them then what they coast at the super market. Chillies cost $20/kilo here so that ones a tick most herbs are 4-5$ a bunch tick tick tomatoes out of season hit 6$ a kilo tick tick. Yep so I grow the stuff that coasts a bit. Oh and a lemon tree is a goer too them yellow acidic bastards can fetch a pretty penny at the shop too I've even tried to swap a bag of lemons for fish and chips at local shop charging me extra 50cents for lemon with me fish what the!o_O

Anyway back to the brewing:)...

Tonight’s catch. 4.5 kilograms of garlic sausage. Nothing but salt, pepper, minced garlic, and red wine. And the pork shoulder butt.

Attachments

• 9FAEB460-8044-4A46-A9C5-853A83F4CE87.jpeg
    9FAEB460-8044-4A46-A9C5-853A83F4CE87.jpeg
    500.4 KB · Views: 174
  • DB89836A-ADA3-4BC0-BB95-4FF6C9143265.jpeg
    DB89836A-ADA3-4BC0-BB95-4FF6C9143265.jpeg
    407.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 455B8A36-2971-4CF3-8339-BADCCE5E96ED.jpeg
    455B8A36-2971-4CF3-8339-BADCCE5E96ED.jpeg
    541.8 KB · Views: 170

Back