Oatmeal + Stout

TamzyMarz

Trial Member
Reaction score
Going to call this Hayseed Howler Stout (I name all my beers).
As are all of my own recipes so far, extract using DME with specialty grains steeped for 30 minutes.
1 gallon batch

mash for 60 minutes
8oz flaked oats
8oz Canadian pale 2 row malt

steep for 30 minutes
4oz caramel 60L
4oz briess chocolate malt
8oz briess sparkling amber DME

boil for 60 minutes

hops
3g Galena at 60 minutes
2g Warrior at 30 minutes

yeast
Fermentis safale US-05

primary fermentation 5-10 days at 20C/68F
secondary 14 days; adding 1oz espresso
prime with 1oz of corn sugar

Add, subtract or substitute any of the ingredients? Boil longer? This recipe profiles as 5.85% ABV and 37.46 SRM as a lovely deep cherry red. I am excited but could use some input as it will be my first stout.

Just sat looking at my own oat stout recipe. I know zero about extract brewing though so can't honestly help there.

I think, typically, that stouts don't take a lot of hops but mine are quite hop heavy with a lot going in towards the end of the boil. I use Cascade and the same yeast - US05 - and like the fruit notes that this approach brings. I might be tempted to move the 30 minute hop addition back to 10 minutes, I find that I get less grassy/astringent flavours if I move hop additions closer to the end of the boil.

I wouldn't see any reason to boil for longer than 60 minutes.

Stouts are great - every good home should have at least one :)

Equal amounts of base malt and adjunct will probably not have enough diastatic power to convert all the starches. Typically 20 or 30 percent is the maximum percentage of adjunct as compared to base malt. A lot of what you get from oats in a extract stout is mouthfeel so conversion isn't critical but I'd go with something like 12 oz base malt and 4 oz oats and see how that works.

I did an Oatmeal Stout a few months ago and used flaked oats for 8.5% of the grain bill (about 3 oz for a 1 gallon batch) and I felt like that was too much. Very slick mouthful, zero head formation in a fully carbed beer, and it almost looked like an oil slick on top. So if it were me, I'd back down on the flaked oats some. Here's the recipe that I used
Screenshot_20210510-073609_Chrome.jpg

Seems like allot of hops. My chocolate milk stout uses 1.75 EKG hops and that is plenty

5 grams of hops seems good for a 1 gallon batch, at close to 6%, I could see upping that a bit. I have a 7% Cranberry chocolate Stout, it gets 2 grams per liter at 60 minutes, and another 2.5 grams per liter at 15 minutes, that is with 6.6%AA Cascade. I don't have any Extract Partial Mash experience, so I'm no help there. I use S-04 for the Stout mentioned above.
Good luck with it!

5 grams of hops seems good for a 1 gallon batch, at close to 6%, I could see upping that a bit. I have a 7% Cranberry chocolate Stout, it gets 2 grams per liter at 60 minutes, and another 2.5 grams per liter at 15 minutes, that is with 6.6%AA Cascade. I don't have any Extract Partial Mash experience, so I'm no help there. I use S-04 for the Stout mentioned above.
Good luck with it!
Bah! Grams lol. You people and your metric system:p

Thought it said ounces:oops:

Going to call this Hayseed Howler Stout (I name all my beers).
As are all of my own recipes so far, extract using DME with specialty grains steeped for 30 minutes.
1 gallon batch

mash for 60 minutes
8oz flaked oats
8oz Canadian pale 2 row malt

steep for 30 minutes
4oz caramel 60L
4oz briess chocolate malt
8oz briess sparkling amber DME

boil for 60 minutes

hops
3g Galena at 60 minutes
2g Warrior at 30 minutes

yeast
Fermentis safale US-05

primary fermentation 5-10 days at 20C/68F
secondary 14 days; adding 1oz espresso
prime with 1oz of corn sugar

Add, subtract or substitute any of the ingredients? Boil longer? This recipe profiles as 5.85% ABV and 37.46 SRM as a lovely deep cherry red. I am excited but could use some input as it will be my first stout.

I'd definitely put all of the grains together and forget the DME in the steep. "Steeping" grains and mash grains are all the same thing- put them together with an equal amount of base grain and hold for 45 minutes at 150-155 and you're good.

Are you using DME in the batch, other than 8 ounces? Can you give a link to the recipe from the Recipe Builder? It looks like not enough base grains compared to the amount of specialty grains, but I didn't do the math so it'd be easier to look at it with the percentages and ppg amounts.

Reactions: J A
Equal amounts of base malt and adjunct will probably not have enough diastatic power to convert all the starches. Typically 20 or 30 percent is the maximum percentage of adjunct as compared to base malt. A lot of what you get from oats in a extract stout is mouthfeel so conversion isn't critical but I'd go with something like 12 oz base malt and 4 oz oats and see how that works.

One solution would be to replace some or all of the flaked oats with oat malt which gives you diastase. I've just made V2 of mine. Pale, roasted barley, oat malt, flaked oats, wheat malt for head, Chocolate malt. It is VERY black and oily wort but V1 is pretty good. That had no oat malt, lots of black and just some leftover chocolate.

Yes it tastes of toast, big late addition of Mandarina Bavaria hops for marmalade on that toast. Challenger and Hallertau Heersbruker for the other hops. Challenger right through, HH at half way of boil.

Just put it down to ferment, good head already. 15L/3G (UK gallons). I put 10L/2G in a small barrel and bottle the rest after a month in a demijohn.

Back