BenBe

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
What you think of the trend, Norwegian yeast, Norwegian ales?

I have not tried them yet, and welcome to the rabbit hole.

I wonder if these are sahti yeasts.... They usually use bread yeast for those. But if it makes good beer.....
They have a high temperature tolerance so they should be good for people with no temp control. You could make beer in Florida with a yeast that can go up to 98F.

this is what northern brewer has

A traditional Norwegian "kveik" strain from the farmhouse brewery of Sigmund Gjernes in Voss, Norway, this strain (like OYL-057 HotHead) is capable of fermenting across a broad temperature range with little change in flavor profile. Voss Kveik is non-phenolic and produces a beer with moderate citrus notes allowing it to pair very well with citrusy and fruity hops. This strain is not fast at the low end of the range so don't be afraid to pitch at temperatures in the middle to upper part of the range. Ferments between 68-98° F. Voss Kveik is a proprietary strain that you will not find anywhere else.

I've used the hot head with great success. Have not tried Omegas new kevik yeast but I did just rack off the cake of the new tropical ale yeast and I like that one too. Very fruity. The hot head in my experience doesn't leave a big flavor profile kind of more neutral but so nice to use in the summer and not have to worry about temp control. In fact that yeast likes it hot ive had it stall indoors and had to throw it on the deck in the sun to finish off. Really amazing stuff for guys who don't have temp control

yes Ive looked into the Kveik yeast and also thw Norwegian brew methods with low to no hops using Juniper branches blanched in brew water as bittering and sometimes no boil just pitch the yeast into raw wort.

i think its funny such a temp tollerant yeast that likes 40c ferm temp to come from such a cold place:confused:.
youd think it would originate from somewhere hot instead like around equator or middle east or something.

yep i wanna give this yeast a spin come summer again. getting some more trial and error brew sessions on here would be good to know what sorta grainbill and hops schedual.to use. citrus hops?

I've used Omega HotHead Ale yeast in 2 brews last year. I fermented at 79F with no issues: a 4.3% Session IPA and a 6% Rye Ale and both came out very nice. It ferments agressively, fast and yields very nice esters even at 90F and beyond.

I have friends who brewed with it and was similarly impressed. Also, you will find enough forums on the Internet, with brewers whom have used it.

I really hope the next dry yeast released on the market to be 1 or more Kveik yeast strains. It's truly an amazing yeast to work with. You can make anything from IPAs ( even dark ones ), Pale Ales to brown, stouts, reds, bitters and even light Belgian styled beer, most likely with the appropriate strain ( some strains do mimic a belgian phenolic, fruity profile ), the right fermentation temp., grain bill and possibly some spices, if you're into that.

So, if you want to use it, just go ahead.

Back