No yeast activity

[double post, only one time this time (I hope)]

True, you can definitely tell how well it's carbing.

I think the issue was that I used the calculator to calculate table sugar quantity and we only had brown sugar available....I only realised afterwards

I think the issue was that I used the calculator to calculate table sugar quantity and we only had brown sugar available....I only realised afterwards
There's not an appreciable difference between brown and table sugar. Both are sucrose, brown sugar just has a bit of molasses added back for color and flavor.

Most priming calculators allow you to select the type of sugar you are priming with as well as target volumes of CO2 and (max) fermentation temperature. The below is for a carbonating a 5 gallon batch to 2.2 volumes with a fermentation temperature of 68 F. As @Nosybear indicated, there isn't too much difference between plain & brown sugar. In the example below using 3.6 oz of brown sugar would have carbed the beer to 2.1 volumes instead of 2.2 volumes.

upload_2020-9-11_15-3-14.png

I used to bottle, and I just kept it really simple. When you bottle, you put in enough priming sugar for the size of the bottle and store the bottles in the same conditions that you fermented in, for two weeks.

My favourite beer so far, is actually my first which was a total abomination, I chilled the bottles in the fridge without letting the sugars prime! But like ol mate said up top, if it is still drinkable, ENJOY IT!!! BEER WAS FOUND ON ACCIDENT! So let nature take its course!

My second batch I did everything correct, and it kept a better head than some of my kegged beers.

Be patient and be willing to make mistakes, because every mistake will improve your next batch!

Back