Need Help on a Garbage Can Recipe

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I started cleaning out some shelves - snow day in Denver and I needed something to do. I came across a bunch of odds and ends malts I'd picked up at meetings, as schwag, etc. and was looking for something to do with them. I usually match malts to recipes, need some help matching recipes to malts. Here's what I have:

1 pound Aromatic
1/2 pound Carabelge
1 pound Patagonia Perla Negra
1 pound Patagonia Coffee
1 pound Black Swaen Brown Supreme
1/2 pound Crystal 80
6 ounces Red X
6 ounces Oat Malt

I have a bag of Root Shoot Pale Malt I'd like to get rid of as well. Ideas?

I tried an ESB earlier this year, it wasn't special, or bitter. It was a nice ale to drink, but not what I was looking for. If you do the ESB, let me know how it comes out.

I tried an ESB earlier this year, it wasn't special, or bitter. It was a nice ale to drink, but not what I was looking for. If you do the ESB, let me know how it comes out.

Don't feel alone. I've tried to brew a decent ESB several times and produced very drinkable results, but they weren't what I'd call ESBs. I need to just pick a recipe and dial it in instead of trying different ones. It worked with my house IPA and Pale Ale, so should work on other styles as well.

Definitely going to be a tall order after trying a cask ESB at Porter Brewing in Redmond, OR. They just raised the bar for me.

it wasn't special, or bitter
English Bitter is a misleading name for the style. I think it originally refers to the old tradition of brewing with ingredients other than hops and when hops started to be used, it was called a bitter beer. In most examples, the IBUs are not as high as many other styles like American Pale or various Pilsners. I think of it as just the basic English ale.

English Bitter is a misleading name for the style. I think it originally refers to the old tradition of brewing with ingredients other than hops and when hops started to be used, it was called a bitter beer. In most examples, the IBUs are not as high as many other styles like American Pale or various Pilsners. I think of it as just the basic English ale.
True that. It's noticeably bitter and the high IBUs are deceptive. ESBs are nicely balanced beers with a LOT of malt flavor. It's the upper end of English pub ales - milds are what you pound with your mates at the pub. Done well I love the style, it's obviously not a lager and showcases clean ale esters.

From what you've listed I'd be brewing brown ale/porter using that coffee oat crystal 80 and brown malts. Enjoy hope you come to a conclusion.

Then I'd brew a straight red X/ noble hop lager 6 ounce ain't probably gunna get you there a well just mash it in with some of that bag of malt you picked up.

From what you've listed I'd be brewing brown ale/porter using that coffee oat crystal 80 and brown malts. Enjoy hope you come to a conclusion.

Then I'd brew a straight red X/ noble hop lager 6 ounce ain't probably gunna get you there a well just mash it in with some of that bag of malt you picked up.
I'm thinking of throwing some of that Perla Negra in something really dark and malty - Dubbel and Quad were recommendations from some of my homebrew club members. In fact, I probably have a really good quad out of the stuff I mentioned, although quads were traditionally only colored by the candi syrup. Still mulling it over....

Back