Brewing With Total Confidence
Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Recipes for Feedback' started by ChuckGViolin, Feb 8, 2017.
Gonna give this one a try later this week. Any thoughts?
My only critique is that there's nothing particularly "american" about the hop bill
Not saying it has to be as hoppy as an ipa, but it should show a bit of American hop character
thats a good one, brew it
Love the Holst reference!
Would I be wrong to imply this would be a more English brown ale? The danstar Nottingham yeast and marris otter malt. I'm sure it will turn out tasty chuck good luck hope it turns out how you expect it
Noble hops won't hurt a thing, but I think the recipe might be better with East Kent Goldings.
Also, 2 lbs of dark extract will leave a lot of residual sugars. I did a similar extract brown ale some time back and it was good but too sweet and "extract-y". Pale extract for fermentables and more steeping grains for color and character is a better way to get a good clean beer. That said, you won't hate the results by any means.
Thanks. I've gone back and forth between 2 lbs and 1.5 lbs. I appreciate the tips. Also, this was purely American, then started leaning European as I read about the flavor/aroma profiles of the two hops I'm using.
When I make the switch to AG later this year, this recipe (assuming it turns out yummy) will be more accurately qualified by style.
Thanks again folks.
don't worry about the style just brew your beer, drink it and brew more, specifics can come later
Well, I brewed it and ran into some issues. Somehow, I ordered the wrong bung for my new fermenter so when it came time to pitch, the bung was too small. I McGuyvered up the bung with duct tape to make it fit but I wasn't sure I got a good seal at all. I bottled it late, after 18 days. That's a 2 1/2 gallon batch in a 6 1/2 gallon bubbler for 18 days. That kinda worried me also.
So, I cracked one open today which is day 10 since bottling and I don't mind saying, it's pretty good. The coffee flavor really comes through. I'm going to let the rest sit for another week or two. That should make it a little better. If anything, they're a little under-carbed. I used Domino dots to carb. Assuming the rest are under (in a week or two), that'll be the first wrong-carbed batch using the sugar cubes.