My First Over-1-Gallon Recipe

ChuckGViolin

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Gonna give this one a try later this week. Any thoughts?

ccb51d6d-40c7-432d-8d1f-b26a60e7798c_zpsfj4sqlrd.png

My only critique is that there's nothing particularly "american" about the hop bill

Not saying it has to be as hoppy as an ipa, but it should show a bit of American hop character

Would I be wrong to imply this would be a more English brown ale? The danstar Nottingham yeast and marris otter malt. I'm sure it will turn out tasty chuck good luck hope it turns out how you expect it;)

Yeah... that.^^^^^

Noble hops won't hurt a thing, but I think the recipe might be better with East Kent Goldings.

Also, 2 lbs of dark extract will leave a lot of residual sugars. I did a similar extract brown ale some time back and it was good but too sweet and "extract-y". Pale extract for fermentables and more steeping grains for color and character is a better way to get a good clean beer. That said, you won't hate the results by any means. :)

Yeah... that.^^^^^

Noble hops won't hurt a thing, but I think the recipe might be better with East Kent Goldings.

Also, 2 lbs of dark extract will leave a lot of residual sugars. I did a similar extract brown ale some time back and it was good but too sweet and "extract-y". Pale extract for fermentables and more steeping grains for color and character is a better way to get a good clean beer. That said, you won't hate the results by any means. :)
Thanks. I've gone back and forth between 2 lbs and 1.5 lbs. I appreciate the tips. Also, this was purely American, then started leaning European as I read about the flavor/aroma profiles of the two hops I'm using.

When I make the switch to AG later this year, this recipe (assuming it turns out yummy) will be more accurately qualified by style.
Thanks again folks.

Well, I brewed it and ran into some issues. Somehow, I ordered the wrong bung for my new fermenter so when it came time to pitch, the bung was too small. I McGuyvered up the bung with duct tape to make it fit but I wasn't sure I got a good seal at all. I bottled it late, after 18 days. That's a 2 1/2 gallon batch in a 6 1/2 gallon bubbler for 18 days. That kinda worried me also.

So, I cracked one open today which is day 10 since bottling and I don't mind saying, it's pretty good. The coffee flavor really comes through. I'm going to let the rest sit for another week or two. That should make it a little better. If anything, they're a little under-carbed. I used Domino dots to carb. Assuming the rest are under (in a week or two), that'll be the first wrong-carbed batch using the sugar cubes.

Back