might be a dumper

Minbari

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Only Thing I have not used before was the Cluster Hops. very earthy and floral, not a fan.

Any one else used Cluster and had similar thoughts?

Kitchen sink ale

American Pale Ale

BIAB (Fly sparge)
75% efficiency

Batch Volume: 5 gal

Vitals
Original Gravity: 1.050

Final Gravity: 1.012

IBU (Tinseth): 41

Malts (8 lb 15 oz)
4 lb (44.8%) — Avangard Munich Malt, Germany — Grain — 7.6 °L

4 lb (44.8%) — Briess Pale Ale Malt 2-Row — Grain — 3.5 °L

8 oz (5.6%) — Briess Wheat White Malt — Grain — 2.3 °L

7 oz (4.9%) — Simpsons Amber Malt — Grain — 24 °L

Hops (3 oz)
1 oz (25 IBU) — Cluster (Whole) 7% — Boil — 60 min

0.5 oz (10 IBU) — Cluster (Whole) 7% — Boil — 30 min

1 oz (4 IBU) — Willamette 5.5% — Boil — 5 min

0.5 oz (2 IBU) — Cascade 5.5% — Boil — 5 min

Miscs
5 g — Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) — Mash

3 g — Epsom Salt (MgSO4) — Mash

3.5 g — Gypsum (CaSO4) — Mash

Yeast
1 pkg — Fermentis S-04 SafAle English Ale 75%

Fermentation
Primary — 68 °F14 days

I'm not sure what you're question is...You think the batch is a dumper because you used Cluster hops?
I've used cluster quite a bit for American lagers and cream ale. Almost always in conjunction with Saaz which smooths things out and lends a spicy note. I don't usually bitter with Cluster because it can be a little "strident" in it's flavor contribution at 60 minutes. IBU of 41 with most of that being Cluster at 60 could lend some harsh edge to the bitterness. That being said, it's not a hop whose use would lead to something undrinkable, by any means. If you've got a dumper I doubt it's just because of the hop flavor...something else is probably wrong.

I'm not sure what you're question is...You think the batch is a dumper because you used Cluster hops?
I've used cluster quite a bit for American lagers and cream ale. Almost always in conjunction with Saaz which smooths things out and lends a spicy note. I don't usually bitter with Cluster because it can be a little "strident" in it's flavor contribution at 60 minutes. IBU of 41 with most of that being Cluster at 60 could lend some harsh edge to the bitterness. That being said, it's not a hop whose use would lead to something undrinkable, by any means. If you've got a dumper I doubt it's just because of the hop flavor...something else is probably wrong.

dont get me wrong, its drinkable. there is no off flavors or infection appearant. its a dumper, because I dont like it, lol.

think you hit the nail in the head about the bittering flavors. that is what I dont like, maybe I will try another recipe with the cluster as more of the finishing hop instead.

nothing else seems out of wack, nothing is crazy about the grain or the yeast, all pretty middle of the road.

Reactions: J A
dont get me wrong, its drinkable. there is no off flavors or infection appearant. its a dumper, because I dont like it, lol.

think you hit the nail in the head about the bittering flavors. that is what I dont like, maybe I will try another recipe with the cluster as more of the finishing hop instead.

nothing else seems out of wack, nothing is crazy about the grain or the yeast, all pretty middle of the road.
Let it settle a bit. I find that fresh Cluster and some other hops really have an edge. After things have mellowed for a few weeks, the malt tends to take over a little and it's more balanced.
Cluster in a pale or IPA is definitely a strong hop. When it's kept to lager/blonde levels, it can add some great flavors. Some people just plain don't like it, though. There are a number of hops that I don't like at all in the bittering additions but are quite useful in later additions. Sometimes using more of a particular hop later in order to get the desired IBUs and still keep the alpha acids in check isn't a bad idea.

Actor's California Lager is all Cluster. Half for 60 and half for 10. It's a good beer.

Well I will have to try it. Cause mine, not so much lol

@Minbari hang in there it may mellow. If not try blending it with a more mellow brew to balance out the harshness but keep the flavor going. Try a few things before you dump it. Give it away. Remember, free beer has a great taste to those who receive it.:D

@Minbari hang in there it may mellow. If not try blending it with a more mellow brew to balance out the harshness but keep the flavor going. Try a few things before you dump it. Give it away. Remember, free beer has a great taste to those who receive it.:D
That's not a bad idea. Might have to get another corny to make a 10 gal monster

Man the recipie looks like a good little beer sux it went sideways for you man.

FWIW that beer I dumped recently was unmistakably infected no if buts or maybes.

But bitterness can abate over time.
Yup put it out your find maybe forget it for a month brew another beer then taste again.

If it ain't to your liking then I'd dump that thing and maybe brew it again but correct the mistakes you know to get you back kicking arse once again:cool:

So, this is why I like this forum. You people talked me into waiting and this turned out pretty good.
It still had that skunky bitter edge, but its a nice bitter instead of overwhelming
Any follow up on this 50/50 beer Minbari is it comming around for you?

Back